Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatillo question

Where do you live? On the east coast we have Christmastree shops. They carry
it there.

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive

BetsyB

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I did last year, but I didn't like it. Do you have a good recipe that you
would like to share? I made it years ago and it was quite good, I just
don't care for the recipe I used last time.

"betsyb" wrote in message
Have you made Jalapeno Jelly? It is wonderful with bagels and cream
cheese.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

You don't have much to lose. Jelly usually has a lot of sugar.

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in
one hand, Starbucks in the other, totally worn
out and screaming, "WOO HOO. what a ride!"

BetsyB

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
That is a ton of sugar, but not the same as the one I used - it also calls
for a lot of sugar, but I think called for more green peppers. I'll print
it off and put it in my recipe book and give it a shot. Thanks!

"betsyb" wrote in message
Jalapeno Jam Jelly and Preserves Recipes

Ingredients:
3 medium green peppers
2 jalapeno peppers (2- inch size)
1 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 ounces Certo liquid pectin
lots green food coloring or red.

Directions:

Seed and coarsely chop green peppers. Seed and chop jalapeno peppers
wearing rubber gloves. Combine peppers in food processor and puree. Add 1
cup vinegar and blend thoroughly. Transfer to deep saucepan and add
remaining vinegar, sugar and cayenne pepper, blending well. Bring to a
full rolling boil, stirring frequently. Stir in pectin and continue to
boil one minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim
off foam. Pour into sterilized jars to seal.

NOTES : It is important to make sure that the peppers are about medium in
size and only 3 are used. To many peppers will add to much liquid and the
jelly will not set.

This recipe for Jalapeno Jelly serves/makes 6 half-pints.

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in
one hand, Starbucks in the other, totally worn
out and screaming, "WOO HOO. what a ride!"

BetsyB

"betsyb" wrote in message
I don't right now. I made it once and never again. Nobody liked it but
me. I think I called the company that makes the pectic and got it from
them. I will look online for you.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"betsyb" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds a lot better that that succotash my
Husband favors with limas and corn? That turns me off. It's a guy thing I
think. Your mix sounds yummy. I will give it a try. Thanks.

Slightly related to succotash - I like to fry some garlic, one small onion,
greens and all, a chopped radish or three, and a large bowlfull of chopped
fresh greens consisting of any of the following: collards, beet, mustard,
chard, rutabaga (the greens, not the root), turnip, etc. I fry them in a hot
frying pan in a mixture of olive oil, sesame oil, and chile oil. Fill the
pan until it is overfull because the greens cook down quite a bit. Fry until
greens are anywhere from lightly singed to well cooked, according to
preferences. Stir so they don't burn. They are quite good, my son and I will
stuff ourselves with them . There is no "right" way to do it - just about
any mixture of greens works. Use more or less chile oil according to taste,
but one TBSP is probably the most you want to use - unless you like it
*spicy*. In that case, sprinkle a tsp or two of cajun spice on it also.