Old 04-07-2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default deer salad

Just an FYI to all who grow radishes. Beware. Deer love the tops.
They've pulled most of my nice fat radishes up just trying to nip off
the greens. I didn't expect this since radish tops are hairy but I
was wrong. Also discovered that deer like the Jerusalem artichoke
leaves that are just emerging from the ground. Again, very prickly,
hairy leaves, yet the deer like them. There are plenty of other
goodies to eat around here - non-veggie garden treats, but apparently
what I am growing is delicious. Additional fencing is going up even
as I write.
Deb

Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Thistletoes wrote:

Just an FYI to all who grow radishes. Beware. Deer love the tops.
They've pulled most of my nice fat radishes up just trying to nip off
the greens. I didn't expect this since radish tops are hairy but I
was wrong. Also discovered that deer like the Jerusalem artichoke
leaves that are just emerging from the ground. Again, very prickly,
hairy leaves, yet the deer like them. There are plenty of other
goodies to eat around here - non-veggie garden treats, but apparently
what I am growing is delicious. Additional fencing is going up even
as I write.
Deb

See if you can find some Plantskydd. It's a bloodmeal-based
deer repellant. It works on moose up here -- should work
on deer down your way.

One application will last for a *long* time. (Months.)

Jan