Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default deer salad

writes:

Thanks for all of these ideas, especially the shish kabob sticks. I
am curious now about the rosemary tree. It must take years for a
plant to get that woody. right? Yes, I do have a rosemary plant
which is small as I purchased it in a 3" pot just this spring. I will
start more for next year and place them strategically. We have a
terrible deer problem here - I think this is deer capital of the
NorthWest. People move here just to hunt them. Poor things. I say
that until I see my ravaged garden. Then I use other adjectives.
Come to think of it, the chard was right next to the rosemary and they
scalped it anyway. Hmm. Maybe I should sit up nights in my rocking
chair just waiting with a slingshot. The problem is, while we might
scare one deer with electric fences or repel them with rosemary and
cayenne, there are dozens more to take their place. I speak quite
literally. LOL. Perhaps I should give up gardening and just eat
venison.

Deb

Billy mentioned motion sprinklers; they do work quite well. That brings
to mind another device that works for the purpose designed. There is a
cat control device, battery operated like the sprinklers, that has a laser
light connection like a garage door sensor, and emits a high-pitched sound
that keeps the cats from crossing it. The frequency may or may not work
for deer, but it, or something like it, might be worth a try. Mine came
from Wilco (or Cenex, whichever it is, I forget which way the name change
went).

My poor cat - One day I picked him up and walked over to the gate to go
out it and he about went nuts trying to get away. I had forgotten the
sensor (not audible to me); he knew as we approached the gate that the
sensor was about to sound and he didn't want to be there. So it works for
cats for certain; it's been over a year the battery has needed replacement
and he still doesn't go over that gate.

The "secret" of the the rosemary is to not harvest the first year so it
can become well established (no one told me that part, hence the
additional purchases). By the third year, there should be more than
enough branches to harvest for shish kabob sticks leaving lots for the
next year. Your bush will likely be a tree year after next. I say tree,
not so much for height (mine are 3-4 feet) but more for the thickness of
the main branches and the trunk; it won't be cut down at the base with
standard pruning shears, loppers would be needed. This is all said with
the thought you do not have the low-growing or miniature rosemary; I've
not seen what they do. Also, when they bloom, they are quite lovely, and
are great for kitchen bouquets; I wish rosemary and chives blossomed at
the same time with a few sage blossoms added. The rosemary blossoms are
quite lovely in a tall, slender vase; I often add some fennel for the fern
look though it is prone to wilt.

Where in the Northwest are you? I'm 120 miles south of Tacoma. When it
cools off a bit, I will be trimming each of the three rosemary plants by
about a third (I think everyone says to only prune 1/3 of a plant), and if
you are close enough, you can certainly have all the trimmings, either for
starts or for shish kabob sticks (or both).

Glenna

Old 12-07-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 11, 9:52 am, Billy Rose wrote:
In article fc.003d0941022c8cd43b9aca00b5668cb1.22c8...@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

I'm 120 miles south of Tacoma. When it
cools off a bit, I will be trimming each of the three rosemary plants by
about a third (I think everyone says to only prune 1/3 of a plant), and if
you are close enough, you can certainly have all the trimmings, either for
starts or for shish kabob sticks (or both).

Glenna

102 F ? Now that's bizaar. Yesterday's high here, according to the local
fish wrap, was 70 F. Makes no sense.
--
Billyhttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Glenna, I am on the other side of Washington state from you, sorry to
say. Otherwise I'd love to take you up on your rosemary offer. I am
in the mountains above Orofino, Idaho and Clearwater River, which is
about 55 miles east of the Idaho/Washington border. The closest
Washington city is Clarkston, right on the Snake River.

I appreciate this info on the rosemary, however. I have snipped very
little from my little bush, and am glad of that. It hasn't bloomed
yet. However, my parsley and cilantro have bolted with this hot
weather. We've had 107-109 but fortunately it cools down to the 55-60
range at nite.

I think the deer were just tasting the Jerusalem artichoke leaves as
they have not eaten more. I will check out the motion detector
sprinklers that Billy suggests.

Deb :-)