Old 09-07-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default deer salad

writes:
On Jul 4, 7:12 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
"Thistletoes" wrote in message

oups.com...

Just an FYI to all who grow radishes. Beware. Deer love the tops.
They've pulled most of my nice fat radishes up just trying to nip off
the greens. I didn't expect this since radish tops are hairy but I
was wrong. Also discovered that deer like the Jerusalem artichoke
leaves that are just emerging from the ground. Again, very prickly,
hairy leaves, yet the deer like them. There are plenty of other
goodies to eat around here - non-veggie garden treats, but apparently
what I am growing is delicious. Additional fencing is going up even
as I write.
Deb

They're eating the leaves off our Okra and pepper plants. We've never

had
trouble with deer before. This is the first year.

I'll try the soap. I have heard that before. We've got the fence up,
rather slap-dash but it is working; just not pretty. That is
surprising about your okra plants as they are prickly, too. Next
year I will be better prepared. At least I am getting a nice crop of
squash, tomatoes are growing well, and I have replanted my radishes
and chard.

Deb

Deb,

I don't know if it works (in town, no deer) but folks have told me that
deer do not like rosemary and to plant it at the borders of your garden.
If you have ample rosemary or know folks who do, you might try attaching
branches of it to the fence or even laying it among your garden plants the
deer are preferring. If it works, great; if not, you've not spent
beaucoup bucks on rosemary plants and time planting them.

Glenna