Old 20-07-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bell peppers

In over 10 years I have never succeeded getting Bell Peppers (
California Wonder) usually end with one or none per plant.
Soil is excellent , fertilize twice a year with high middle number,water
every second day. No flowers on it yet, they seem to come in September.
All other types of peppers grow well.. Zone 5 Toronto. Canada
Any Ideas??

Old 20-07-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
In over 10 years I have never succeeded getting Bell Peppers (
California Wonder) usually end with one or none per plant.
Soil is excellent , fertilize twice a year with high middle number,water
every second day. No flowers on it yet, they seem to come in September.
All other types of peppers grow well.. Zone 5 Toronto. Canada Any
Ideas??

I've had the same thing happen right across the lake (Rochester). Sometimes
I think that although they like full sun, they also want cooler temps than
we get in summer, so they don't do much until September. Or, perhaps they're
day-length sensitive, although I've never read that anywhere.

Old 20-07-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Andy Petro" wrote:

In over 10 years I have never succeeded getting Bell Peppers (
California Wonder) usually end with one or none per plant.
Soil is excellent , fertilize twice a year with high middle number,water
every second day. No flowers on it yet, they seem to come in September.
All other types of peppers grow well.. Zone 5 Toronto. Canada
Any Ideas??

Your soil may be too rich in nitrogen, which will result in lush
vegetative growth but abortive flowering and poor fruit yields. You
might consider growing a crop of sweet corn or other non-leguminous
vegetables with high nitrogen demand next year to deplete the soil a
bit, then resume your attempts to grow peppers the year after next, but
only treating the soil with a little compost and bone meal. Also, plant
a few different varieties.
Old 20-07-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
In over 10 years I have never succeeded getting Bell Peppers (
California Wonder) usually end with one or none per plant.
Soil is excellent , fertilize twice a year with high middle number,water
every second day. No flowers on it yet, they seem to come in September.
All other types of peppers grow well.. Zone 5 Toronto. Canada Any
Ideas??

I've had the same thing happen right across the lake (Rochester). Sometimes
I think that although they like full sun, they also want cooler temps than
we get in summer, so they don't do much until September. Or, perhaps they're
day-length sensitive, although I've never read that anywhere.

Won't help this year but you can eliminate the soil as a problem by
growing them in pots next year. You've probably run out of time to
replant them this year, from the soil into a pot, right?

What other types of peppers are you growing that produce well?
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

[IMG] code is On

Bell Peppers Aria Gardening 1 24-09-2005 10:43 PM
Bell Peppers Mira Gardening 2 05-09-2004 05:43 PM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 05:32 AM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 03:45 PM
What kind of critter steals bell peppers? Carol Adams Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM