Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-07-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help........

Hi Y'all,

A while back I mentioned a problem we are having with the local DOT
wanting to take out our water source thru our pasture. (don't remember
what thread it was on.) Got some good advice from some, but was
wondering what to do now.

For those who didn't catch it befo

We have a 20+ acre pasture outside of city/town limits. Currently we
have 9 horses and 5 cows placed there. There is a ditch, which is
actually a run-off of the South River, that runs thru the middle of the
pasture. The water source is critical, as you know for the animals
well-fare. Suddenly, (after cattle have been on that pasture for years)
DOT wants to go in and re-dig the ditch, and fill it with rocks (the big
landscaping kind). They are planning on taking out at least 5 acres of
our pasture, plus the water source. Filling it with rock will keep the
water from flowing deep enough for the cattle to cool down (cows don't
sweat, so in this heat we are having, they need at least 2-3ft of water
to stand in to cool themselves.) Finding another pasture is not an
option, can't afford to buy or rent another place. We are not getting
any help from the town or county officials. The neighbors near the
pasture don't want the work done either.

Someone on here (joe, was it? not sure..) mentioned that i should ask to
see their environmental impact report. I did, and they claim that I
don't have the right to see it. Say it's not necessary for me to see it.
They claim that the horses, *not* the cows who stand in the ditch most
of the time, are polluting the water. I don't see how, since no one has
had problems with their water locally. There have been cattle and horses
in that pasture for years, way before we ever got it to put ours on.

They plan to start their work mid-August. Is there anything else we can
do to fight this?

Thanks,
Rae

[IMG] code is On

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM