Old 26-07-2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Jerusalem Artichokes

Anyone ever grow them in your gardens? Are they easy to grow, difficult,
attract bugs, or take up lots of room? It was my understanding that they
have large root structures, so they might suck up space in the dirt.

Old 26-07-2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:
Anyone ever grow them in your gardens? Are they easy to grow, difficult,
attract bugs, or take up lots of room? It was my understanding that they
have large root structures, so they might suck up space in the dirt.

Depending upon your climate they can be invasive. In addition they're
really hard to get rid of. Another thought on them is that in most
people they cause terrible flatulence and painful abdominal gas. You
want some roots? Come by the house and dig them up, been trying to root
the !@#$% things out for about ten years now.

George

Old 26-07-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Depending upon your climate they can be invasive. In addition they're
really hard to get rid of.

Yeah, I've heard that too (in Annapolis, Maryland).

They're tall (7 feet or so), so you need a space where height is not a
problem.

I'm thinking of growing some anyway. If I do, time will tell whether
I regret it.

Another thought on them is that in most people they cause terrible
flatulence and painful abdominal gas.

Well, if you just want to see what they're like, they aren't that hard
to find in a grocery store or natural food store. They are often sold
under the name "sunchoke" these days.
Old 26-07-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jim Kingdon wrote:

Depending upon your climate they can be invasive. In addition they're
really hard to get rid of.

Yeah, I've heard that too (in Annapolis, Maryland).

They're tall (7 feet or so), so you need a space where height is not a
problem.

I'm thinking of growing some anyway. If I do, time will tell whether
I regret it.

Another thought on them is that in most people they cause terrible
flatulence and painful abdominal gas.

Well, if you just want to see what they're like, they aren't that hard
to find in a grocery store or natural food store. They are often sold
under the name "sunchoke" these days.

They have nice flowers. Moles or voles here took out our sunchokes .
I used to eat them raw in salads or by hand. Sweet.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 26-07-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:35:40 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
Anyone ever grow them in your gardens? Are they easy to grow, difficult,
attract bugs, or take up lots of room? It was my understanding that they
have large root structures, so they might suck up space in the dirt.

They're sunflowers, and easy to grow. So easy I'd suggest you treat them
like mint or lily of the valley and find them a very controlled spot to grow in.

Old 27-07-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Anyone ever grow them in your gardens? Are they easy to grow, difficult,
attract bugs, or take up lots of room? It was my understanding that they
have large root structures, so they might suck up space in the dirt.

Depending upon your climate they can be invasive. In addition they're
really hard to get rid of. Another thought on them is that in most people
they cause terrible flatulence and painful abdominal gas. You want some
roots? Come by the house and dig them up, been trying to root the !@#$%
things out for about ten years now.

George

Sorry, I've got enough of my own problems, don't need to be taking on
someone else's Well, since I'm about to get flooded with catnip, I might
as well toss some Sunchokes in there, turn my backyard into an invasive
species habitat - feral cats, catnip, sunchokes, strawberries, bermuda
grass, birch, I even have a new blackberry bush growing on the fenceline.

Old 27-07-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Don't think of it as invasive plants, think of it as wildlife habitat.
Apply for a large gubmint grant to improve the habitat and protect the
two-toed newt or something.

George