Old 01-08-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Reposting about my female pumpkin flowers

Does anyone know of possible causes for why the female flowers on my
pumpkin vines keep wilting and falling off before they even get a
chance to grow enough to open? I have one pumpkin doing very nicely,
growing a lot. But not one of my other female flowers will blossom.
I have no problems with males; they are abundant and doing just fine.
I have 6-7 vines, 3 of which are very long and seem to grow at least a
couple inches every couple days, and I'm in Wisconsin. I don't seem
to have any bugs, and the leaves seem to be fine, not yellowing
prematurely or anything like that.

Hopefully that's enough information to go off of. Thanks for any help
you can give.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

mateosbaby said:

Does anyone know of possible causes for why the female flowers on my
pumpkin vines keep wilting and falling off before they even get a
chance to grow enough to open? I have one pumpkin doing very nicely,
growing a lot. But not one of my other female flowers will blossom.
I have no problems with males; they are abundant and doing just fine.
I have 6-7 vines, 3 of which are very long and seem to grow at least a
couple inches every couple days, and I'm in Wisconsin. I don't seem
to have any bugs, and the leaves seem to be fine, not yellowing
prematurely or anything like that.

Hopefully that's enough information to go off of. Thanks for any help
you can give.

Squash blossoms abort when the vine cannot support setting fruit.
Usually this occurs when one or more fruit have already been set
but it can occur when the plants are sub-optimal for some other
reason (vine borers, shade, drought or its opposite, and even
heat waves).

The number of fruit per plant varies based on the species ( ex. C. pepo
will set more fruit than C. maxima) and size of mature fruit (the larger
the fruit, the fewer set per plant). Thus the C. pepo 'Jack Be Little'
pumpkin might set a dozen or more fruit but the C. maxima 'Atlantic
Giant' pumpkin might set only one.

(attributed to Don Marti)