Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Green pumpkins

I've been trying to grow pumpkins for the last 12 years and all I got was
NADA. Until last year. Unbeknownest to me I had 6 good sized pumpkins
growing underneath all the vines. But when the vines died back, they were
green and they stayed green untill they rotted. It is now this year and I
can see the little darings beginning to form (about the size of a softballs
now). WHat should I do to insure they turn turn orange this year? My wife
says you have to stomp on the vines around Labor day and expose the pumpkins
to sun. I have to believe thats a bit dramatic but do I do that?

I dont remember what variety I grew last year (I was trying to go for a
average size not the giants). LAst year my neighbor had this really great
looking pumpkin (looked like Cinderellas coach) and I found one at the local
grocery store that looked similar and I planted its seeds this year (Note
that I found out neighbors pumpkin was plastic when it hadnt rotted by New
years eve.)