Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Worms for indoor plants?

I have several very large pots with plants indoors. The soil looks
very packed down. I don't really want to replace the soil as it is
very messy and dificult in these big pots. I was wondering if putting
a few worms in there would help. Is that crazy?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:56:21 -0700, Mike C
wrote:

I have several very large pots with plants indoors. The soil looks
very packed down. I don't really want to replace the soil as it is
very messy and dificult in these big pots. I was wondering if putting
a few worms in there would help. Is that crazy?

couldn't hurt...

but it sounds like you need to cultivate that packed soil to allow
oxygen to reach the roots. depending on the type of plant -- shallow
roots or deep roots -- you need to dig around and loosen the packed
soil. that is what is what is meant by "cultivate" in this case.

how about the roots? are they sticking out? need to repot?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:56:21 -0700, Mike C wrote:
I have several very large pots with plants indoors. The soil looks
very packed down. I don't really want to replace the soil as it is
very messy and dificult in these big pots. I was wondering if putting
a few worms in there would help. Is that crazy?

Not a whole lot of help. What's happened is that the organic matter
in the soil has oxidized so far that the soil structure has collapsed.
Get out the tarp, tip the pot over, pull out the plant, and repot.
Yes, I know, somewhere around 30 gallons, it gets kinda tedious, but
it isn't really that difficult.

Or air layer the plants and start over.

Kay

Old 12-08-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

I don't think worms be be a whole lot of help either, but if you do put some
in anyway, don't forget to feed them. Put edible vegetable stuff on top of
the soil or dig it it a bit. Replace it as it disappears.

wrote:
I have several very large pots with plants indoors. The soil looks
very packed down. I don't really want to replace the soil as it is
very messy and dificult in these big pots. I was wondering if putting
a few worms in there would help. Is that crazy?

Not a whole lot of help. What's happened is that the organic matter
in the soil has oxidized so far that the soil structure has collapsed.
Get out the tarp, tip the pot over, pull out the plant, and repot.
Yes, I know, somewhere around 30 gallons, it gets kinda tedious, but
it isn't really that difficult.

Or air layer the plants and start over.

Kay

[IMG] code is On

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
"Army Worms", "Bag Worms", ?? Chrissie Texas 0 22-06-2007 06:13 AM
indoor pond plants John Rutz Ponds 7 23-11-2003 05:32 PM
Good indoor plants for bachelor? [email protected] Gardening 9 29-04-2003 10:08 AM
anyone know any good *indoor* plants for the hornsby area karma_2120 Australia 1 24-04-2003 06:08 AM