Old 13-08-2007, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lemon tree is succeeding

My brother, who was blessed with lemon trees on his property as he bought
it. He gave me a a sack full of lemons last year. I tried 6 seeds. 5 have
failed at one point or another in same planter. Transplanted remaining 1 in
a larger container. Its taken off finally. About a foot tall with leaves
abound. Its in a typical planter pot about a foot tall pot. Have another
planter pot twice the height and width.

My intentions are get it to grow until its around 4 foot before
transplanting to the front yard. Read someplace last year, lemon trees are
good for 2 transplants. I want more height so dogs don't bother it. Should
I transplant ot the next larger planter pot, OR, transplant to where I want
it to be in the yard next time?
Dave

Old 13-08-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dave

I do not have the answer to your question but this information also pertains
to citrus trees.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/
- -
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 14-08-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Appreciate your help. Need a more specific answer regarding the specific
information I provided.
Dave

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 14-08-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in message
Appreciate your help. Need a more specific answer regarding the specific
information I provided.
Dave

Generally, a single transplant is best, less root disturbance. I would
suggest that on a question like this, a general location would help, you
could run into some site problems if too far off the better climate range
for lemon. At the size you are representing, planting out now should not
hurt, but again, like real estate, location, location, location.

Beware so called "tree biologist" that have never studied biology.

Old 15-08-2007, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
Appreciate your help. Need a more specific answer regarding the specific
information I provided.
Dave

Generally, a single transplant is best, less root disturbance. I would
suggest that on a question like this, a general location would help, you
could run into some site problems if too far off the better climate range
for lemon. At the size you are representing, planting out now should not
hurt, but again, like real estate, location, location, location.

Beware so called "tree biologist" that have never studied biology.

The final location's native soil will make or break the tree. Central TX,
fractured limestone/caliche/minor clay topsoil depth minimum. 20 degree
incline, front yard. 8" of topsoil consisting of sandy loam and some pine
bark. The climate is appropriate, however.

Tree started in a large mixed combination of "topsoil", "potting soil", and
some minor fertilizer. Switched to current planter. Soil is red clay and
sandy loam mix with minor fertilizer added. Thrives in that.

Can't and won't transplant until tree is at least 4' in height. Its
intended location is front yard. One of 2 dogs will tear it up if a minor
sapling. Fencing is inappropriate, the dog mentioned will tear it down or
dig under the fence eventually. 3rd season try for a papershell pecan has
taught me all this. The dog stays.
Dave

Old 15-08-2007, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in message
Appreciate your help. Need a more specific answer regarding the
specific information I provided.
Dave

Generally, a single transplant is best, less root disturbance. I would
suggest that on a question like this, a general location would help, you
could run into some site problems if too far off the better climate range
for lemon. At the size you are representing, planting out now should not
hurt, but again, like real estate, location, location, location.

Beware so called "tree biologist" that have never studied biology.

The final location's native soil will make or break the tree. Central TX,
fractured limestone/caliche/minor clay topsoil depth minimum. 20 degree
incline, front yard. 8" of topsoil consisting of sandy loam and some pine
bark. The climate is appropriate, however.

Central Texas tough on any transplant, good luck.