Old 17-08-2007, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default peach trees

I live in Oregon and have good luck with Apples and Pears (and of course
Blueberries) in my orchard. When I tried Peaches though, they made fruit
one year, then for the next two years, right after they flower, all of the
leaves curl up and fall off. The branches don't die though, and gradually
recover, but no fruit!

I don't prefer to use chemical sprays as I have an otherwise organic garden,
but does anyone have some advice as to how to treat such a thing?

Old 17-08-2007, 07:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:04:19 -0700, "Eric Miller"
wrote:

I live in Oregon and have good luck with Apples and Pears (and of course
Blueberries) in my orchard. When I tried Peaches though, they made fruit
one year, then for the next two years, right after they flower, all of the
leaves curl up and fall off. The branches don't die though, and gradually
recover, but no fruit!

I don't prefer to use chemical sprays as I have an otherwise organic garden,
but does anyone have some advice as to how to treat such a thing?

Peach leaf curl.

Here's what OSU has to say:

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/d...m?RecordID=794
Old 17-08-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pruning improperly can do serious harm to your peach tree verses the
response from apples.

The web site is temp. down. Try back soon.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 17-08-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Inside a peach

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ach/index.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"symplastless" wrote in message
[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 18-08-2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:19:55 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Inside a peach

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ach/index.html

Are you saying that is why the trees get peach leaf curl?

Old 18-08-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

No, not exactly. What I am saying is that the prunus species are sensitive.
The example I show is a dissected peach tree sample of what I recognize as a
proper cut. So, the more you prune, the bigger the pruning cut, the more
parenchyma cells that die. Trees only store starch in living cells. The
less parenchyma cells that less places the tree has to store energy in the
form of starch to be later changed into glucose for the following:
1. metabolism
2. reproduction
3. growth
4. defense (big one)

Improper pruning of a peach tree can be the end of the tree. Apple on the
other hand, is a very forgiving tree.
A peach tree has what is known as short-life disease. This is part of it.
Fine pruning on a regular basis seems to be ok. I.e., if correct cuts are
made.
This first thing I would suggest to anyone attempting to prune a woody
plant, is this book.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

You could buy it, use a library or buy it, read it, donate it to your
church. Just a suggestion.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

wrote:

Inside a peach

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ach/index.html

Are you saying that is why the trees get peach leaf curl?

[IMG] code is On

? about peach trees jojo Texas 12 01-07-2004 09:06 PM
What's wrong with my apple and peach trees Ken Gardening 3 16-06-2003 03:44 AM
Peach Trees From Pits? Jo-Ann Edible Gardening 14 09-06-2003 09:44 PM
Blisters on Peach and Nectarine trees Mark Allison United Kingdom 5 06-06-2003 09:44 PM
Peach trees in Victoria Robin Henderson Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM