Old 26-08-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Joint compound as fertilizer/conditioner

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:58:39 -0500, wrote:

(snip)

try trimming a bit when leaving short comments.

I should have, I thought about it, but couldn't decide where to snip,
what to leave in, so I just reposted the whole thing.

I'll try to find some examples to follow.
Old 26-08-2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charles

Sorry. I am glad I asked. I misread your statement.
Question: Is Epson Salts a good supply for magnesium?
Thanks.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 21:49:15 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
Magnesium does work well on the roses, though.

Charles

Are you suggesting that roses are sensitive to magnesium?

I am saying that when I occasionally put a magnesium sulfate solution
on the soil near the base of the roses that I notice the leaf color
appears to be a darker green and the bloom color is more intense.
(well, on the yellow rose, anyway, I haven't tried it on the others.)

And I only do it once a year.

Old 26-08-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
. com...
It all depends on the source. nutrient is a generic term for anything
needed by biological systems. as in micronutrients. scientific will
refer to organic vs inorganic nutrients. Ingrid

Fungi can absorb energy sources such as carbohydrates. Plants cannot do so.
Fungi can absorb nutrients. Nutrients are substances that contain an energy
source, elements, and other substances in types and amounts that are
essential for a healthy life. You can give a fungus a nutrient in the dark
and it will thrive. You can give a plant a nutrient in the dark and it will
die. Plants require light energy from the sun to "make" glucose from
carbon - dioxide and water. The process is called photosynthesis. When you
call fertilizers or nutrients food for trees and other plants it shows you
are ignorant of photosynthesis. many people obviously do not understand
plants. Sad, very sad.

Foods are substances that contain an energy source mostly, and may contain
some elements, and other substances. The main part of food is the energy
source. There are junk foods, fatty foods, and healthy foods. There are many
diet books telling you about healthy foods. Animals can absorb an energy
source. Plants cannot absorb an energy source. fertilizers are not plant
foods. Fertilizers provide elements essential for growth of plants. The
elements are part of salts, usually, that ionize in water. Ions are charged
particles; anions, negative, and cations, positive. Plants "make"
carbohydrates by trapping the light energy of the sun in a process called
photosynthesis. Sad that so many people who work with plants do not know
this. They call fertilizers plant food. very sad.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 26-08-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:07:40 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Charles

Sorry. I am glad I asked. I misread your statement.
Question: Is Epson Salts a good supply for magnesium?
Thanks.

Yes. It also might be useful to break up a clay soil, but gypsum,
calcium sulfate, is usually recommended. Too much magnesium can be
bad, like too much of anything. I use a tablespoon in water, once a
year, per rose bush.
Old 27-08-2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

beware of so called tree biologist that have never studied biology.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
beware of so called tree biologist that have never studied biology.

I do not know who you are referring too. Myself, I am an arborist who has
studied tree biology. My resume is he
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/educat.htmlMy claim is that I have completed
what is mentioned in my resume. No more no less.

I am a self taught tree biologist. I for my thesis wrote a paper on what
logging is. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

I used reviewed published data in US Forest Service Docs and others for the
latter.

To help other people understand basic tree biology I or shall I was we,
wrote a Tree Biology Dictionary. Its free.

Here is the address: www.treedictionary.com

Other than that I do not understand what or who you are refering too.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

PS. Also from my studies I have learned that theses are major problems for
trees:

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Correction

Old 27-08-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Don
In your words
What is a food? A nutrient? A fertilizer?

Did you write a dictionary? If not why not.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Don I went to you web site and you have a section called What is a
Consulting Forester

Well, where is your definition?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

We believe that ownership of land automatically enrolls you in the
stewardship of the Earth and that each land owner has the right to manage
their property to the best of their own interest. They also have the
obligation to maintain the property for the benefit of generations to come.
The Chinese have a saying that "The journey of a thousand miles begins with
the first step", in land management the journey begins with nothing more
complicated than the step of establishment of goals and methodology to reach
those goals. To that end Staples Forestry, as well as other professionals in
the field, encourage land owners to take that step necessary to implement
practices to optimize the land potential in methods suited to their needs
and abilities. It may be as simple as routine inspections of the property
for insects or disease, or as complex as a full stand conversion to a more
productive cover of the land. Regardless of the goal, the first step is to
look at your land as an investment in the future and then set about to earn
the most from your investment.

Don, all you are talking about is cutting the wood out? What about tree
biology?

See: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 28-08-2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

That last clip was from Dons web page at:
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/

_____________

Don, all you are talking about is cutting the wood out? What about tree
biology?

See: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 28-08-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Don Staples writes:
At
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm
Salvage and restoration. There comes a time when nature just does not
cooperate with the best of management efforts. At that time you may have to
salvage whats left, and start anew. Salvage is a very different sales effort
for forest products. Usually, the sales material is damaged, dead, or dying.
Finding a market for this material can be tricky, and incomes low. But, best
to move the material, get it out of the way for future work. Take what
income you can from the salvage, and set it aside for planting the site.

Restoration can mean a lot of work, depending on what caused the initial
damage. It may include dirt work to reshape an area, control burning to
remove the remaining dead material and for site prep, and of course
replanting

The cost would be based on the nature of the work, including outside
assistance from vendors.

What about Tree Biology Don??????????????????????????

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 28-08-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

fungi cannot absorb "carbohydrates", it needs to be broken down
outside of them into building blocks and they can absorb "sugars"
across their cell membranes, across their hyphae. bacteria are the
same in that they secrete substances that break down "food" into
building blocks that can be absorbed.

many bacteria extract their energy from chemicals,like the
chemilithotrophs found at the bottom of sulfur vents deep in the
ocean.

plants gain their energy from the sun, which is hardly a "nutrient" by
your definition. the solar energy is, in the end, trapped in the
covalent bonds between chemicals, like ATP, glucose, starches and
cellulose.

elements and molecules are the basis of all organic and inorganic
molecules. nutrient is anything needed by a biologic system.

n Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:11:54 -0400, "symplastless"

Old 28-08-2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"symplastless" expounded:

Don Staples writes:
[...]

Please take your little war out of rec.gardens. We don't care.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 28-08-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Apparently, your reading comprehension is still lacking.

Beware so called Tree Biologist who have never studied biology.