Old 26-08-2007, 10:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Composting toilets

On 8/25/07 6:23 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 8/24/07 6:08 PM, in article
,
"Ann" wrote:

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).

But Ann, don't you need to put in a Title 5 septic system prior to the land
changing hands? May it be a long time from now...

If you sell your house you need to have a Title 5 inspection done. If
your system passes (it won't if it's older than ten years or so) then
you're good to go. If it doesn't, then it has to be repaired or
replaced. The selling price can be adjusted so the seller does it, if
it's decided the buyer is going to do it, he/she'd better have their
own financing because lenders won't lend on it until the system is
fixed.

And it's a great scam, lots of official paperwork arrives at homes,
especially those belonging to the elderly, claiming all homes must have
Title 5 septic by (fill in the date).....

I did it because I had to, the cesspool failed. I have no plans on
selling, but it's good to know it's done. We just had it pumped for
the first time, every three years we'll get it done again.

(BTW - it is total crook of shit in my book)

The way the regulations are written yes, it is. In more ways than
one! G

In every possible way actually!

Old 25-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:41:15 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

Used, yes. Worked fine, clean and odorless. I understand it was very
little maintenance work.

It was a Clivus multrum -- they've been around 30+ years in North America,
longer than that in Sweden. If you feel like you need a flush toilet,
they've got a foam-flush model that uses only a tiny amount of water.
http://www.clivusmultrum.com/products_basic.shtml,

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Kay

Old 25-08-2007, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

Used, yes. Worked fine, clean and odorless. I understand it was very
little maintenance work.

It was a Clivus multrum -- they've been around 30+ years in North America,
longer than that in Sweden. If you feel like you need a flush toilet,
they've got a foam-flush model that uses only a tiny amount of water.
http://www.clivusmultrum.com/products_basic.shtml,

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Kay

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while to
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

Old 26-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.gardens.]
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:49:28 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while to
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

I was at Powell's technical today, and did they every have a book for you:
Lloyd Kahn's Septic System Owners' Manual (rev). Included an early 20th
century composter built from a wooden barrel...

Old 26-08-2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't
ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

I was at Powell's technical today, and did they every have a book for you:
Lloyd Kahn's Septic System Owners' Manual (rev). Included an early 20th
century composter built from a wooden barrel...

Well that's interesting. Don't know the place that you speak of, but if the
book is in print I'm sure the library would have a copy.

Old 26-08-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 20:20:30 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:

I was at Powell's technical today, and did they every have a book for you:
Lloyd Kahn's Septic System Owners' Manual (rev). Included an early 20th
century composter built from a wooden barrel...

Well that's interesting. Don't know the place that you speak of, but if the
book is in print I'm sure the library would have a copy.

Oops, sorry, that's Portland-speak. Powells is a very large independent
bookstore with new and used titles shelved together, so you get to see
quite a range on the subject. The main store is such a maze (and several
floors) that they give you a map of the sto
http://www.powells.com/info/citytour.html

Powell's Technical Books is a smaller store a few blocks from the main store
where the largest concentrations are computer books, engineering, math,
physics, construction, and hard-core academic sciences. Yesterday was
Fup's birthday (the retired store cat, who is reputed to have gained much
knowledge just by sleeping on the shelves).
http://www.powells.com/info/places/technicalinfo.html

Then there's the Hawthorne store, concentration on home and gardens:
http://www.powells.com/info/places/h...ardeninfo.html

And a couple of satellite stores in the 'burbs and and at the airport.

Good stuff. Pretty good company. I'd sooner buy books from them than
most of the discounters, even if I am paying a bit more. I think that quite
a few of us use Powell's as a backup library... if it's not on the shelf
at the local library, there's a fair chance you can find it at Powell's
right now. g

Oh, and as a lagniappe: a book I spotted on the shelves yesterday, with some
really interesting stuff, including some sanitation:
http://www.architectureforhumanity.o...eyougiveadamn/

Kay

Old 26-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while to
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

Thought about something else... what does it cost to plumb a bathroom?
Pipe ain't cheap, either, and plumbers are downright pricey...

Kay

Old 25-08-2007, 08:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

g'day eigenvector,

we sued a composting toilet when we lived in rural, they are the
greatest product out and if fitted to all homes would save lots of
water resources in our drought ridden towns.

the one we used was natur-loo (you will be able to google a link to
their site), even if you can't get it over there it will give you a
look at waht is a very simple versatile system, with very minimal
mechanical application involved (if you have good wind where you are
then there is no need for the electric driven vent fans).

we ran ours as dry system meaning all but incidental urines was kept
out of the system (that is better used fresh onto food trees or
gardens), we were very pleased.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:41:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev