Old 24-08-2007, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Composting toilets

Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

Old 24-08-2007, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 8/24/2007 2:41 PM Eigenvector said the following:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

Not to mention a compost pile.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 24-08-2007, 08:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

Great reading for enjoying one's day off:

http://weblife.org/humanure/default.html

Best regards,
Bob
Old 24-08-2007, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

http://www.google.com/search?q=rockefeller%20compost

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 24-08-2007, 09:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:

Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?

I was reading about it today, enjoying my day off, and after looking at a
video clip of the Sun Mar systems it sounds pretty good for a small house
with limited waste connections. My house has only 1 bathroom, kitchen sink,
and laundry room outlet going to my septic tank. If the toilet could be
converted to a composting model, that would mean the septic tank would be
for greywater only - dramatically increasing its lifespan and its doubtful
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

I've never priced them out, so they could be 20 million dollars for all I
know, plus I would expect the county makes it tough if not impossible to
install them in a residential area. Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

If you look at the recommendations for pumping a septic tank you'll find
for a single occupancy house with a typical 1,000 gal septic tank and no
kitchen garbage disposer you pretty much don't have to pump the tank
since there is virtually no chance of adding to the sludge at a rate
faster than the bacteria can do their thing.

Old 24-08-2007, 09:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 8/24/2007 4:35 PM Pete C. said the following:
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Yep, chicken bones don't decay as fast as stool. Hell, there are
dinosaur bones (not fossilized) that are still being dug up.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 24-08-2007, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 24-08-2007, 11:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Pete C. wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I try to tell my wife that but she insists in having pumped out every
2-3 years. But even so, with cost of pumping, I think it would be
foolish to put in a composting toilet which probably costs thousands of
dollars. I'm only familiar with one composting toilet. It's in a park
with no water and is solar powered and always stinks.
Old 25-08-2007, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

It doesn't work that way in our district. Here a septic drain field is
impossibly large by code, much much larger than the one my house was built
on. My presumption is that they are trying to encourage everyone to get
onto sewer. Until my septic fails I won't do that - or at least until they
put a lien on my property.

I was wondering about the composting toilet because it would dramatically
change the lifespan of an older drain field.

Old 25-08-2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Eigenvector" expounded:

It doesn't work that way in our district. Here a septic drain field is
impossibly large by code, much much larger than the one my house was built
on. My presumption is that they are trying to encourage everyone to get
onto sewer. Until my septic fails I won't do that - or at least until they
put a lien on my property.

Well, they aren't even an option here (sewers), nor are they likely to
be in the near future, so I'm safe for now. We just spent $11K on a
new septic system, I'd been here 27 years at that point on a cesspool
that had finally failed, so we had to. We got off easy. Due to Title
5, many people around here have what I call a Monument to Title 5 in
their yards -a raised leaching field that looks like bloody hell and
costs much more than ours, which is in the ground, way down back
behind the house, the only sign of it is the damned white candy-cane
vent.

I was wondering about the composting toilet because it would dramatically
change the lifespan of an older drain field.

I'm sure they aren't allowed around here. I used to have a greywater
system that had been installed with the original cesspool back in the
50's. It's still out there, but they won't let me tie into it.
Stupid.

In many of the state and national parks they use composting toilets. I
think they're great, they don't smell, and allow them to put in public
toilets without having to go to the expense of plumbing, etc.

Old 25-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:41:15 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

Used, yes. Worked fine, clean and odorless. I understand it was very
little maintenance work.

It was a Clivus multrum -- they've been around 30+ years in North America,
longer than that in Sweden. If you feel like you need a flush toilet,
they've got a foam-flush model that uses only a tiny amount of water.
http://www.clivusmultrum.com/products_basic.shtml,

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Kay

Old 25-08-2007, 12:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 8/24/2007 7:19 PM Eigenvector said the following:
"Ann" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Heck, simply having a septic tank is
almost an impossibility now.

That entirely depends on where you live. Around here everyone has
one, we have no sewers (nor do I want them, with the associated fees).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

It doesn't work that way in our district. Here a septic drain field is
impossibly large by code, much much larger than the one my house was built
on. My presumption is that they are trying to encourage everyone to get
onto sewer. Until my septic fails I won't do that - or at least until they
put a lien on my property.

I was wondering about the composting toilet because it would dramatically
change the lifespan of an older drain field.

Where I lived before, we had a septic system. They put in municipal
sewers and although you didn't have to hook up to the muni system, they
charged you as if you were connected.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 25-08-2007, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
Has anyone tried or used a composting toilet?
I'd ever have to pump the tank again.

Used, yes. Worked fine, clean and odorless. I understand it was very
little maintenance work.

It was a Clivus multrum -- they've been around 30+ years in North America,
longer than that in Sweden. If you feel like you need a flush toilet,
they've got a foam-flush model that uses only a tiny amount of water.
http://www.clivusmultrum.com/products_basic.shtml,

Found some prices for you:
http://www.enviroalternatives.com/toiletprices.html

Kay

Good Lord, those things ain't cheap, in fact it would take quite a while to
recoup the costs. Environmentally friendly or not, those things won't ever
take off until they can get the costs down into the 3 digit range. Well
that certainly satisfies my curiosity.

Old 25-08-2007, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"willshak" wrote in message
on 8/24/2007 7:19 PM Eigenvector said the following:
"Ann" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" expounded:

[...]

That would **** me off - getting charged for something you don't need or
use.