Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn care tools

On Sep 1, 1:29?am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
Hmmm.... Large number of postings here...
I think I will add to this madness here

My lawn consist of six acres. It takes about four hours per week to
take care of it. All by my self .... them ha ha he madness of it hmpff

Tools for my lawn...
The mower:
I worn out two cheap riding mowers in three years, each mower cost $2000.
My current mower is a $7000 Xmark Zero turn mower that I have had now

Items for the user:
Muai Jim sun glasses: $300 Great for mowing, keeps the dust out of eyes.
Saftey Glasses: $5 for trimming.
Paper Mask: Keeps lungs clear, however bad for the image.
Noise Canceling Headphones with an iPod: Nice to mow the yard
while listening to "Concrete Blonde"

Base ball cap: Mine is from the "Science Fiction Book Club"

They should have given you the ball cap to match the mower. John Deere sent
me one in the mail .. A big broad brim hat is really beter.
With 6 acers you do need a comercial type mower. I have about 1.5 acers to
actually mow and the Residential mower I have does not run fast enough to
suit me. Plenty of HP, but probably some government regulation on the speed
or the blade speed being too dangerous for the home owner.

I do use the cheep earmuffs to cut down on the noise while mowing and doing
the weed eating. Try not to do much weed eating and use Roundup. Also the
mask is worth having and so is a good pair of gloves.

True "A big broad brim hat is really better"
Baseball cap does not cover the neck on those hot days.

True again: "With 6 acers you do need a comercial type mower".
Sad part it was a double $2000 lesson that added to my madness
The Xmark is fast with some shock resistance. I was able to mow the yard
in half the time.The Machine so heavy and wide tires, I find I do not
need a lawn roller. Over time the yard got smoother. With the lighter
mowers the yard was getting ruffer. I should say any comercial type
mower can do the same.

After blowing black dirt out of my nose and irritated lungs a few times
taught me to use the dust mask. It works, clean nose and clean lungs.
After all it is a big yard.

I am not rich by any means. A home in the country with lots of land
seems to cost the about the same as an average home in the city. Taxes
are lower, gas usage is higher. Instead of a nice car I went for the
lawn mower

Very true... I bought a much nicer house in the country with acerage
for about half the price of a postage stamp size surburban lot. The
savings from substantially lower property taxes and much lower car
insurance pays for my tractor. I don't consider mowing a chore, to me
it's actually a luxury... a couple hours driving a tractor is more
relaxing than a day at a spa. My tractor is also worth more than my
1991 car.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:
Ann wrote:
"readandpostrosie" wrote:

you forgot "willingness"... lawn service sounds great to
me!

Fine, as long as you're willing to pay. That's the point, Sheldon is
claiming it's more economical to pay someone - around here that'd be
$35 a week or so for lawn mowing, definitely not anything I would want
to spend my money on

How lucky, all your lawn equipment was a gift and you don't pay for
fuel because you slink out after midnight to siphon petrol.

it takes me about 45 minutes to mow my whole yard.

Show us this yard of yours... it's either a postage stamp or your idea
of a lawn is a something only a goat would appreciate.

And who services your mower... you forgot to list your most important
piece of equipment, knee pads.

And you can't discuss anything without descending into vulgarity, a
sign of a truly weak mind.

Saint Ann! G

You are truly a waste of time. No more. Buh-bye.

You keep promising... but you can't resist my charms!

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Old 01-09-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 28, 9:38?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Ann" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

Let's include people who simply don't have the time to do the job right,
per
whatever their definition is.

Or lets leave it with the original point, which is just as valid - it
isn't all that expensive to do your own lawnwork yourself, especially
if you don't have the money to pay someone else to do it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

If you don't have the money, then there's no choice, silly. This is why I
don't visit the local Porsche dealership.

Aww, go ahead... it don't cost to drool. http://tinyurl.com/2fjxph

http://www.porsche.com/all/911gt3rs/...5&height =415

Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

oups.com...
"Ann" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

Let's include people who simply don't have the time to do the job
right,
per
whatever their definition is.

Or lets leave it with the original point, which is just as valid - it
isn't all that expensive to do your own lawnwork yourself, especially
if you don't have the money to pay someone else to do it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

If you don't have the money, then there's no choice, silly. This is why I
don't visit the local Porsche dealership.

Aww, go ahead... it don't cost to drool. http://tinyurl.com/2fjxph

http://www.porsche.com/all/911gt3rs/...5&height =415

Damn you, Sheldon! :-)

Back in the mid 70s, I had occasion to drive a half dozen 911s. I worked at
a store in Great Neck that did custom audio & alarm systems. One lawyer
liked out work so much, all his partners had to have the same systems. They
paid extra for us to drive our cars into Manhattan & park, and take their
Porsches out to Great Neck. What idiots, letting a couple of lunatics drive
their cars.

The Midtown Tunnel looks really interesting at 90+ mph. Only got to do it
once, though. Too much traffic the other times.

Old 19-09-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake for
leaves.

I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I
haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc.
Any sources not too far, LA Area?

Tx

Persephone

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.

Any sources around L.A.?

Tx

Old 19-09-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
groups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake
for
leaves.

I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I
haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc.
Any sources not too far, LA Area?

Tx

Persephone

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.

Any sources around L.A.?

Where have you looked so far?

Old 20-09-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:42:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
egroups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake
for
leaves.

I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I
haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc.
Any sources not too far, LA Area?

Tx

Persephone

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.

Any sources around L.A.?

Where have you looked so far?

I wonder why anyone would need a leaf rake in L.A. The few deciduous
trees that grow there do not grow well.
Old 20-09-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
om...
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
legroups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as
my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look
in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake
for
leaves.

I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I
haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc.
Any sources not too far, LA Area?

Tx

Persephone

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.

Any sources around L.A.?

Where have you looked so far?

I wonder why anyone would need a leaf rake in L.A. The few deciduous
trees that grow there do not grow well.

They're useful for raking other plant debris besides leaves.

Old 20-09-2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone said:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
groups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake for
leaves.

I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I
haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc.
Any sources not too far, LA Area?

Tx

Persephone

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.

http://garden-supply.hometownhardwar...irasc-PP0.html

Take yer pick.

--

Eggs

Are part-time band leaders semi-conductors?
Old 20-09-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:05:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .

news:r66dnVUWxMuV8GzbnZ2dnUVZ_trinZ2d@adelphia. com...
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
glegroups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

[...]

And I have "other plant debris" out the kazoo! Neighbors' bushes
overhang my fence and drop leaves. My (former) bamboo used
to shed those little sheathes all over the place! And on & on.

Persephone

Old 20-09-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
egroups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake
for
leaves.

I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I
haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc.
Any sources not too far, LA Area?

Tx

Persephone

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.

Any sources around L.A.?

Where have you looked so far?

See above- OSH and Home Despot.
Old 20-09-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
om...
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Javier" wrote in message
legroups.com...
On Aug 26, 1:41 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as
my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look
in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake
for
leaves.

I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I
haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc.
Any sources not too far, LA Area?

Tx

Persephone

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.

Any sources around L.A.?

Where have you looked so far?

See above- OSH and Home Despot.

That's what I thought. Why not some real garden stores, instead of places
like HD that sell tools for amateurs? Open the yellow pages and let your
fingers do the walking. If you don't have a phone book, go he

http://www.yellowpages.com/Los-Angel...s-yellow-pages

Old 20-09-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 26, 10:27?pm, raeannsimpson wrote:
On Aug 26, 10:12 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom said:

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as my
neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look in
your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake for
leaves.

Guaranteed, you can't move leaves faster than a backpack blower, using only
a rake.

--

Eggs

Do stars clean themselves with meteor showers?- Hide quoted text -

That's not exactly correct in all cases.

My husband can rake the leaves in our yard, thoroughly & efficiently,
much faster than he can clean the yard with the backpacker blower.
Honestly, he rakes faster than anyone I've ever seen.

I guess it depends on who you are, and what you are used to

Not capable of differenciating between different organic matter, along
with the leaves those blowers also loosen/disturb and blow away the
season's newly formed humous... they really should only be used on
paved areas.... to remove debris lawn areas should only be raked.

Old 20-09-2007, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon said:

[...]

Not capable of differenciating between different organic matter, along
with the leaves those blowers also loosen/disturb and blow away the
season's newly formed humous... they really should only be used on
paved areas.... to remove debris lawn areas should only be raked.

Source?

--

Eggs

-Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.