Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Prunes tree disease

I planted a very small prunes few month back, it grew 2 feet strongly
and suddenly it started to developed some type of disease in southern
calif.

the leaves have small holes in it, they are droppy, many become
yellow. Most have holes except
the young one.

I use Ortho Garden Disease Control, no good. Use different product to
keep insect away, no good.

Go to nursery, they point me to different directions depending on whom
I ask, they are few time more expensive than the tree itself.

the branches become darken as if they have fungus infection, but buds
grow on them.

see some flies who use the leaf as bathroom or nursery for the young.

Out of wit, anyone who has idea what happened to the tree and how to
cure it?

Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Go to nursery, they point me to different directions depending on whom
I ask, they are few time more expensive than the tree itself.

Well, I don't know the answer, but at the risk of stating the obvious,
your choices include:

(1) go to someone who is likely to know more and less motivated to
sell you something. Probably a county extension agent (since you
say California, not sure what the equivalent, if any, outside the
US is).

(2) Ignore it (at least in the sense of not trying to intervene) and
see if the tree recovers. This will tell you whether the problem
is a serious one or not (some problems which look kind of bad will
solve themselves, others won't). But this may be nervewracking.

(3) Browse through some lists of diseases like
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/ext.../disindx.shtml
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/ext...fruitkey.shtml
(there are many more like this, including with photos; I don't
know which are bets).

(4) Post (via one of those photo upload web sites) photos of your
yellow leaves, the holes in your leaves, the dark branches, the
young flies, the fly droppings, the adult flies if you can, etc.
Perhaps someone else (more knowledgeable than I) will recognize
what's going on, more easily from photos than from a description.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sounds like it is possibly fire blight. Check your Ortho Book for more info.
If it
is, you have to remove all the infected branches and spray with something like
copper sulfate. It's a nasty problem, and could spread to other nearby plants
if
not contained.

Sherwin D.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 3, 1:55?pm, Fish wrote:
I planted a very small prunes few month back, it grew 2 feet strongly
and suddenly it started to developed some type of disease in southern
calif.

the leaves have small holes in it, they are droppy, many become
yellow. Most have holes except
the young one.

I use Ortho Garden Disease Control, no good. Use different product to
keep insect away, no good.

Go to nursery, they point me to different directions depending on whom
I ask, they are few time more expensive than the tree itself.

the branches become darken as if they have fungus infection, but buds
grow on them.

see some flies who use the leaf as bathroom or nursery for the young.

Out of wit, anyone who has idea what happened to the tree and how to
cure it?

Obvious to me that you bought infected nursery stock. Since you
haven't any time invested in that tree I would dig it up immediately
before it infects your other plants and bring it back where you bought
it and see if they'll return your money... if not just leave it there
(not worth arguing over a plum tree), you don't want that plant on
your property. In any case never buy anything there again... you
definitely do not want a replacement tree from them. Then heavily
drench the spot where you planted that tree with a general
insecticide, Sevin is good.... wait a month and if you want plant
another tree there... just be sure to always buy from a reputable
nursery, even if you need to pay more. I would suggest that with
fruit trees especially that you buy bare root from one of the larger
mail order nurseries, their stock is always true to form and it's near
impossible that bare root stock will be infected... it's the soil from
nursery stock that transmits disease, the problem is more common with
fruit trees, especially stone fruit. Either buy fruit trees from a
local nursery that grows their own in their own fields or buy bare
root mail order. I much prefer bare root, even though the trees will
be a smaller there won't be so long a recovery from transplant
shock... at the end of three years your bare root tree's growth will
exceed that of potted or balled trees. I'm always amazed at how
quickly bare root trees growth just takes off the very first season,
whereas potted or balled trees really don't show any noticeable growth
for the first three years and then need another two years before you
can see that they're not struggling anymore. A six foot potted/balled
sapling will still be only six foot at the end of three years (maybe
even less if you prune it as directed, whereas that bare root four
foot twig will be a nice bushy eight footer after three years and will
already be fruiting. I know, lots of people open that small carton
and see that dormant twig and will feel cheated, don't. Carefully
plant that twig as per directions and right before your very eyes
you'll see a miracle... within six weeks of planting you will see buds
swelling and it will leaf out and grow without missing a beat like it
was always there from a seed. I've never been disappointed with
plants from http://www.naturehills.com, and they are always very
helpful with answering your questions, and if the person you're
speaking to doesn't know they won't BS you, they'll say they don't
know but will find out, they do get back to you.

I've tried http://www.arborday.org, they send dead stock, and when you
call their service dept. they are not accomodating... their
operational concept is kind of smarmy, with all their memborship hype,
promoting themself like they are a charity, they're definitely not...
they offer no bargains, I think they are a big rip off.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 3, 1:55?pm, Fish wrote:
[...]

If it is indeed fire blight, insecticide will do no good what so ever. Get
it diagnosed by a a reputable source.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 4, 12:11?pm, "Don Staples" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 3, 1:55?pm, Fish wrote:
[...]

The symptoms described by the OP (small leaf holes) are nothing like
fire blight... and in fact small leaf holes are very indicative of
insects. Don't really need to treat for insects unless there is
indication of the same symptoms spreading to other plants but it's a
good insurance and can't hurt.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article...26/fire-blight

Regardless, I'd get rid of that tree rather than bother to treat it
(best to cut losses early), and replace it with one from responsible
nursery. And since it was only just planted it will have developed no
new roots, just gently pull it out with it's original root ball and
return it tree, roots, and soil.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:

On Sep 4, 12:11?pm, "Don Staples" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 3, 1:55?pm, Fish wrote:
[...]

The holes in the leaves may or may not be part of this problem.
More serious is the blackening of the branches. I think if you look
at fireblight more carefully, you will find that is one of it's indicators.

The best thing may be to bring the trees back to the original seller, but
fireblight can be controlled in some cases. It may not be worthwhile to
do, so in this case/

Sherwin D.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

I generally agree with you about buying bare root trees. It has worked for me
several
times, in the past. However, I don't give Nature Hills Nursery top marks on
their
specifications. They simply specify trees as a general size, e.g. semi-dwarf
without
indicating the rootstock type. For many people, the rootstock type is
meaningless.
However, serious fruit tree growers know about different rootstocks and use that

information to help them select the best tree for their purposes. Nature Hills
Nursery
is like many others of this type, like Starks, where trees are made on a
'factory' type
production line. Whatever rootstocks are lying around are utilized. There are
are
still some nurseries that do specify rootstock types, like Raintree in
Washington State.
From my standpoint, buying from a nursery like Nature Hills is a gamble where
you
may get a suitable tree, but then again you may not. Anyone serious about
growing
fruit trees should learn about rootstocks and how they affect the growth and
behavior
of the tree that sits on them. The term 'semi-dwarf' for example does not give
an
accurate description of the height of the full grown tree. There is a range of
heights
that fit that semi-dwarf specification depending on the rootstock type. Also,
suitability
for different climate conditions depends heavily on rootstock type, as does
disease
resistance.

Sherwin D.

Old 23-09-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 4, 7:02 am, Sheldon wrote:
On Sep 3, 1:55?pm, Fish wrote:

[...]

thank you all for replies --- it is insect not fungus as I find out.
I saw some flies which pooped or laid eggs on the leaves as
I used garden hose and spayed hard. My gardener said it was insects.

It seems to work as the tree recovers, less holes in leaves, new buds
try
to grow but they have short lives (why?) If the tree survive this
winter, chance is
it will grow.

It is not fungus, because fungus will kill all leaves and trunk
quickly, not causing
holes.

I have used many chemicals, the best as i see it natural products,
water, lady bugs, niem oil ... unless it is fungus.

[IMG] code is On

Need Tree and Tree Disease IDENT GarlandGrower Gardening 9 26-04-2007 08:48 AM
HELP: Tomato Disease (Wilt disease?) vms North Carolina 4 18-07-2005 01:11 PM
Italian prunes Mogie Gardening 2 16-10-2003 03:32 AM
Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Jim Webster sci.agriculture 370 01-05-2003 10:44 AM
New thread. Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Lotus sci.agriculture 1 31-12-2002 03:29 PM