Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default need flower identity

Unfortunately, I have no picture - the drought apparently killed all these
plants I had. The plant is about a foot tall, with a bright yellow flower
that looks like a large buttercup. Blooms mid-to-late spring. I bought
it at a native plant sale (I'm near Baltimore), so it's native to this
area. It spread nicely.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 05-09-2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

The plant is about a foot tall, with a bright yellow flower that looks
like a large buttercup. Blooms mid-to-late spring. I bought it at a
native plant sale (I'm near Baltimore), so it's native to this area.
It spread nicely.

Does it looks like the images at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oenothera ? The most distinctive thing
here is the cross-shaped stigma (may or may not show up well in photos
due to lighting, but it is pretty easy to spot in person).

Seems to fit all your descriptions (well, with the possible exception
of native, but most/many of the yellow evening primrose species are
native to the Baltimore area).

If this is it, look closely at where your plants had been growing.
This time of year, the flower stalks are dying (or seem to be), but
the plant is putting out small clusters of leaves (from slightly
underground growths).

The drought didn't get mine (near Washington, DC), so it is possible
that you just don't recognize the flower stalk and the small leaf
clusters as being the same plant (I know I didn't the first year).
Old 05-09-2007, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Jim Kingdon
writes
The plant is about a foot tall, with a bright yellow flower that looks
like a large buttercup. Blooms mid-to-late spring. I bought it at a
native plant sale (I'm near Baltimore), so it's native to this area.
It spread nicely.

Does it looks like the images at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oenothera ? The most distinctive thing
here is the cross-shaped stigma (may or may not show up well in photos
due to lighting, but it is pretty easy to spot in person).

Do Evening Primroses bloom as early as mid to late spring? (The ones
I've seen, don't, in the UK, but it's the annual, not the perennial,
ones that are common here.)

I'd suggest Caltha palustris (Marsh Marigold). (Which as a marsh plant
might be expected to be drought sensitive.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-09-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Do Evening Primroses bloom as early as mid to late spring? (The ones
I've seen, don't, in the UK, but it's the annual, not the perennial,
ones that are common here.)

I'm trying to remember a specific month, but they certainly were
blooming before the black-eyed susans and other summer plants. I'm
guessing May. Maybe June.

I'd suggest Caltha palustris (Marsh Marigold). (Which as a marsh plant
might be expected to be drought sensitive.)

Easy enough for the original poster to look at both photos and
distinguish between these two. The evening primrose has more of a
single vertical stem (or a few), whereas the Marsh Marigold looks like
more of a bush shape.

But there are a lot of yellow flowers that look a bit like a buttercup
(not just in one family, either, probably because the ancestor to most
of the dicots probably looked something like a buttercup).
Old 09-09-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

In , on 09/04/07
at 08:02 PM, Jim Kingdon said:

The plant is about a foot tall, with a bright yellow flower that looks
like a large buttercup. Blooms mid-to-late spring. I bought it at a
native plant sale (I'm near Baltimore), so it's native to this area.
It spread nicely.

Does it looks like the images at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oenothera ? The most distinctive thing here
is the cross-shaped stigma (may or may not show up well in photos due to
lighting, but it is pretty easy to spot in person).

That could be it.

you just don't recognize the flower stalk and the small leaf clusters as
being the same plant (I know I didn't the first year).

That's possible. Thanks.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

[IMG] code is On

I need the Identity of the plant in the photos. McGyver Plant Biology 5 16-10-2009 08:42 PM
Help to identity a flower? Lickity Splickets Gardening 3 19-02-2005 08:04 AM
Anyone know flower identity? AD Roses 2 15-03-2004 11:18 AM
intro & identity of flower question Lynda Gardening 1 07-07-2003 02:56 PM