Old 09-09-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

Default weed-wrangling tools

I was watching HGTV this morning and was interested in one of the
tools shown in this link.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_tools_eq...275036,00.html

This is the specific tool I'm interested in:
http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...rongs_w190.jpg
Does anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing
one, but I wasn't looking for it either. His looks worn... he says he
uses it a lot, but I wonder if it is still in production.

TIA

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...rongs_w190.jpg
Does anyone know where they can be bought?

Hmm, don't remember seeing that one. But I have seen the dandelion
corkscrew (figure G at
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_tools_eq...5036%2c00.html
) being sold at Merrifield Garden Center
( http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/ )
in suburban Washington, DC.

Your post is the first time I've seen any reference to the corkscrew.
I was intrigued by it in the store but somewhat skeptical about
whether it would really be an improvement over the old standby
dandelion spade (
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...less-steel.asp
).
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

sf wrote in message ...

I was watching HGTV this morning and was interested in one of the
tools shown in this link.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_tools_eq...275036,00.html

This is the specific tool I'm interested in:
http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...rongs_w190.jpg
Does anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing
one, but I wasn't looking for it either. His looks worn... he says he
uses it a lot, but I wonder if it is still in production.

TIA

I don't know, but if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, you're
missing out on something good:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...item_no=S12326

If I had to have just one weeding tool, that would be it. Amazing. Nothing
argues with that tool.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

On 09 Sep 2007 16:51:41 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:

Your post is the first time I've seen any reference to the corkscrew.
I was intrigued by it in the store but somewhat skeptical about
whether it would really be an improvement over the old standby
dandelion spade (
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...less-steel.asp

I think the difference is the corkscrew will take out the taproot, but
the "dandelion spade" (which is a common garden tool) will not unless
you really dig. Did you notice that all three tools had long handles,
so you don't have to stoop or bend to do your weeding?

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:45:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

sf wrote in message ...

I was watching HGTV this morning and was interested in one of the
tools shown in this link.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_tools_eq...275036,00.html

This is the specific tool I'm interested in:
http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...rongs_w190.jpg
Does anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing
one, but I wasn't looking for it either. His looks worn... he says he
uses it a lot, but I wonder if it is still in production.

TIA

I don't know, but if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, you're
missing out on something good:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...item_no=S12326

If I had to have just one weeding tool, that would be it. Amazing. Nothing
argues with that tool.

Joe, that's just another stoop labor tool. I want the pronged one
with the long handle. You just stick it in the ground, turn and pull
out the weed.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

sf wrote in message ...

[...]

I know. I'm just pointing out something you might not have otherwise found.
On day, you'll run into a weed with a woody root that absolutely MUST be
murdered. This tool will do it. And, for reasons I can't explain, you'll be
able to do it with a beer in the other hand. Something about the design of
the tool. It's weight, shape, something.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I don't know, but if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, you're
missing out on something good:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...item_no=S12326

If I had to have just one weeding tool, that would be it. Amazing. Nothing
argues with that tool.

A neighbor introduced me to one of those tools -- it's called a hori
knife -- and I hardly use any of my other tools any more. Nothing, but
nothing, gets stuff out of the ground the way it does. Yes, I have to
stoop to use it, but it does such a good job that the weed is far less
likely to come back because a bit of root has been left behind.

It also does all the other things mentioned in the link.

helco
Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

wrote:

sf wrote in message ...

[...]

That tool is common. I have more than one of them.

On day, you'll run into a weed with a woody root that absolutely MUST be
murdered. This tool will do it.

Oh, I wish you'd actually seen the show now. He said when tap roots
are severed, they often revive. That prong thing takes them out tap
root and all.

And, for reasons I can't explain, you'll be
able to do it with a beer in the other hand. Something about the design of
the tool. It's weight, shape, something.

See this tool: you can do it with one foot and one hand (beer in the
other one) without stooping, but long tap roots could only be severed
so you might not really kill the plant.
http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...ad_plate_e.jpg

Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

helco expounded:

A neighbor introduced me to one of those tools -- it's called a hori
knife -- and I hardly use any of my other tools any more. Nothing, but
nothing, gets stuff out of the ground the way it does. Yes, I have to
stoop to use it, but it does such a good job that the weed is far less
likely to come back because a bit of root has been left behind.

It also does all the other things mentioned in the link.

I use something similar and have found it to be absolutely
indispensible - I bought mine from A. M. Leonard.
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=4750
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

sf wrote in message ...

I was watching HGTV this morning and was interested in one of the
tools shown in this link.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_tools_eq...275036,00.html

This is the specific tool I'm interested in:

http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...rongs_w190.jpg
Does anyone know where they can be bought? I don't recall ever seeing
one, but I wasn't looking for it either. His looks worn... he says he
uses it a lot, but I wonder if it is still in production.

TIA

Maybe you could write the show, or join their discussion group to
question Mr. TV Gardener. I've spent a bit of time searching the HGTV site
and the web, and not found it. Pretty irresponsible to show a gadget and not
mention how to get one.
Kinda like Norm and his Yankee Workshop. Pretty easy to build that fancy
cabinet when you have more top o' the line power shop tools (and a clamp
collection worth more than the project) than my house is worth.......

This looks similar:
http://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm#

Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

sf wrote in message ...

[...]

I know what you mean. I'm referring to evil things with horizontal woody
stems that run for several feet. The only "stand up" tool that'll touch
these is a pitch fork or spade, and other than exposing such roots for
further attention, they're the wrong tools for the job.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

sf wrote in messagenews:sff8e3tfr82uem51fgl5lstu19i4blpt2v@4ax .com...

I was watching HGTV this morning and was interested in one of the
tools shown in this link.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_tools_eq...785,HGTV_3642_...

This is the specific tool I'm interested in:
http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...l_with_prongs_...

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...ils.asp?UID=&i...

so you might not really kill the plant.http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...and_springload...

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins- Hide quoted text -

This tool with 4 prongs is also a little too wide for using in lawns,
unless you don't mind having a big hole in your turf. There are
several multi-prong tools on the market. They all have the same
limitation of failing to dig out deep roots that go beyond the length
of the prongs.

Use your favorite search engine to find "deep root weeding tools".
There are several good ones with back-saving features, as well.
Search for "weeding tools comparison" to find a variety of tools that
you probably won't see in your Home Depot store.

________________________________
At peace with weeds...
Are you a weeding tool expert?
ergonica.com/weeder_features.htm#Tool_Expert

Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

I use, and really like this one from LeeValley: http://tinyurl.com/2hgvgs

Removes a plug with the roots and all, so I feel I'm aerating the soil
at the same time.

This is the specific tool I'm interested in:http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2006/02/16/...l_with_prongs_...

Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 06:49:30 -0400, Ann wrote:

helco expounded:

A neighbor introduced me to one of those tools -- it's called a hori
knife -- and I hardly use any of my other tools any more. Nothing, but
nothing, gets stuff out of the ground the way it does. Yes, I have to
stoop to use it, but it does such a good job that the weed is far less
likely to come back because a bit of root has been left behind.

It also does all the other things mentioned in the link.

I use something similar and have found it to be absolutely
indispensible - I bought mine from A. M. Leonard.
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=4750

This one is a lot cheaper than the "hori" knife earlier posted.
Wonder if it's a different mfgr or?

Persephone
Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:
This one is a lot cheaper than the "hori" knife earlier posted.
Wonder if it's a different mfgr or?

Persephone

If you notice, the knife on the original site comes with a sheath and
costs $25. The one Persephone found is $16.99 but it has no sheath. If
you scroll down, there's a sheath for sale for 7:99. Same difference.
The sheath has a belt loop.

helco

helco