Old 10-09-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default well water vs public water - cost

My house has public water and well water in the basement that's only
available for garden purposes.
Does any one know what is the cost of using well + electric pump vs
public water? Let's assume that the water quality is not an issue
here.
I live in NJ (northern Jersey) and so far I only got 1 water bill for
$0. We have recently moved into the house so I don't know the bills
look like. I know I'm getting high electric bill mainly because of the
AC but not sure it the well pump is part of it.

Thanks,
Jack

Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JackpipE" wrote in message
oups.com...
My house has public water and well water in the basement that's only
available for garden purposes.
Does any one know what is the cost of using well + electric pump vs
public water? Let's assume that the water quality is not an issue
here.
I live in NJ (northern Jersey) and so far I only got 1 water bill for
$0. We have recently moved into the house so I don't know the bills
look like. I know I'm getting high electric bill mainly because of the
AC but not sure it the well pump is part of it.

Thanks,
Jack

"...not sure if the well pump is part of it."

Part of WHAT? The electric bill? If the pump has been running, then it is
"part of" the bill. Has the pump been running?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

The pump has been running and it's part of my bill but how much of my
electric bills ranging from $49 - $275 is the well pump?. I just would
like to know from experience form other people if the well + pump is
more cost efficient than public water?

oups.com...

Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JackpipE" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Sep 10, 3:28 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"JackpipE" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

You'll need to check the pump and tell us its rated watts, as well as how
many hours per day it runs.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"JackpipE" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Sep 10, 3:28 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"JackpipE" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Too many unknowns and variables to be able to say, so just buy a
"Kill-a-Watt" meter and insert it into the pump wiring. That way you'll
know exactly how much your pump is part of your electric bill.

--
Grandpa
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JackpipE" wrote in message
My house has public water and well water in the basement that's only
available for garden purposes.
Does any one know what is the cost of using well + electric pump vs
public water? Let's assume that the water quality is not an issue
here.
I live in NJ (northern Jersey) and so far I only got 1 water bill for
$0. We have recently moved into the house so I don't know the bills
look like. I know I'm getting high electric bill mainly because of the
AC but not sure it the well pump is part of it.

Thanks,
Jack

Determine the power consumption of your pump to deliver 1 gallon of
water. You could hook up a VOM to measure current flow. From that
you can get kilowatt hours used. There is also a maintenance/repair
estimate cost to add. Also, the deeper the well, the higher the
cost.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 10, 3:33 pm, Phisherman wrote:
"JackpipE" wrote in message
[...]

I've had it both ways, and usually come out ahead using the well water
+ pump electricity. One variable to check, though, is whether your
city bills for water with a minimum usage assumption. If you would be
under the minimum usage, even with watering, you'd be further ahead to
go with the city. I know it sounds insane to think you could water
and remain under the minimum, but I do it; don't know if my city has a
high minimum usage assumption or I'm just exceptionally thrifty with
water.

Jo Ann

Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 10, 3:39?pm, JackpipE wrote:
The pump has been running and it's part of my bill but how much of my
electric bills ranging from $49 - $275 is the well pump?. I just would
like to know from experience form other people if the well + pump is
more cost efficient than public water?

Depends on how often you bathe and flush. g

Generally well water is much less expensive per gallon than municipal
water... the electric usage is negligible for typical residential
use. BUT, private wells eventually require maintenance, usually
costly... and usually some water treatment equipment is needed too.
If you have the option for both a private well and municipal water I
would from personal experience strongly suggest you use both, the
municipal water for drinking, washing and the usual indoor stuff, and
use your well for large volume outdoor use like watering lawns,
plants, gardens, washing cars. boats, etc.

But bottom line, it's really not possible for anyone to know your
particular water usage but you.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JackpipE" wrote in message
[...]

You are probably exceptionally thrifty in all regards, very few
households ever get a water bill with usage below the minimum... you
must have been a navy submariner. g

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...

"JackpipE" wrote in message
[...]

She may have even been to the sub races a few times.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'd take a low profile. Having two sources of water here in S.J.
Requires the old well being capped which is not trivial cost.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"JackpipE" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 10, 3:28 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"JackpipE" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

......and the price of water.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

If the well water is a hard line (not soften with a softener).
I personally would not use the well water to wash my car, home or any
thing you may value,. The heavy mineral content will damage your nice
paint job. Grass and plants sure, food stuff may depend on your TDS
(Total Dissolved Solids) levels. Use the soft line for washing things.

Electric use on my well pump system is cheap, my guess less than $10 per
month. My softener does not use electric power it runs on the water
pressure from the well tank. My softener cost about $10 / month
(salt/filter), Purification $150 / 400 gallons (filters). My entire
electric bill has never been over $50/month here in the country. I have
central air but rarely use it. When I lived in the city, my water bill
was more than $30/month.

If your softener uses power, that is another story, bypass it, shut it
off, it loves electric power, each night running and causing your well
pump to run more often. Use the city water for bathing, drinking and be
merry

How many refrigerators you have, they are real electric lovers

When I make a post, I find the thread quickly ends
Enjoy Life ..... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

Dan L. wrote:

[....]

If the well water is

[....]

yea, out of context but worth the mention. do NOT ever
put well water or city water in a radiator. the mineral
content in both will clog the radiator. use only store
bought distilled water.

I talking car, truck, tractor ... ect type radiators.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

absolutely, well + electric is WAAAAY cheaper. for city water they
charge BOTH for the water AND the sewage treatment.

well water is much better too instead of softened water (if you have
hard water). Ingrid

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:48:01 -0000, JackpipE
wrote:

My house has public water and well water in the basement that's only
available for garden purposes.
Does any one know what is the cost of using well + electric pump vs
public water? Let's assume that the water quality is not an issue
here.
I live in NJ (northern Jersey) and so far I only got 1 water bill for
$0. We have recently moved into the house so I don't know the bills
look like. I know I'm getting high electric bill mainly because of the
AC but not sure it the well pump is part of it.

Thanks,
Jack

[IMG] code is On

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Public water vs. well Foowah Ip Gardening 9 14-08-2003 07:02 PM