Old 18-09-2007, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What's turning the grass black

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 9/14/07 8:58 PM, in article

,
"Ann" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Did I tell you guys about the woman at the feed store last

winter?
was
picking up a bag of bird seed and this woman was screaming at

the
clerk/owner that they were a bunch of racists for having "niger

seed"
for
the birds.
... ( btw, she was pale of complexion).

Idiots amongst us - and they breed!

The worst part - I could make a fairly educated guess to her

"vehicle",
since I recognized the usual suspects in the lot (yup - I'm there

lot)
and
it was covered with "if you can read this, thank a teacher" and

the
like
bumper stickers.

Some people should stay in the city......

militant black guy (a bit of a **** take)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3f4z7BNnqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4Q2fTejL4

rob

There is a difference between the erroneous outrage of the woman in

the
feed store and the demented stereotypes of your videos, rob. The

former
was out of ethnic concern, the later is tribal mockery. You are an
embarrassment to humanity and a waste of space.

maybe so Billy, maybe so. The lady in the feed store may have been

genuinely
mistaken. The videos of the militant black guy were a deliberate set up,
tribal mockery as you called it, whatever that is. You are free to find

that
stuff embarrasing or a waste of space if you choose. To me it is a ****

take
of extreme racial intolerence or sensitivity or affirmative action. It

could
also simply be a guy trying to take the **** out of people. I myself

don't
view it too seriously.

rob

I'm sorry, I don't quite catch your banter. Two people separated by a
common language, and all that. What I do know is that many of us are
defined by the media. Women are supposed to be thin and young, blacks
are supposed to be hip and promiscuous, Native Americans are stoic and
wise, and white men are balding children with pot bellies. The media
holds up examples of who we are, and too many people believe it. Malcolm
X, Martin Luthur King Jr., and Bill Cosby would not find "The Militant
Black Guy" funny. If you are not a person of color, I would put that
shit away and don't offer it again. It is offensive.

sure, different people will react to it different ways. I disected that a
little (disjointedly) last night and came out with the following.

I think the 'militant black guy' is just out to take the **** rather than
make any social commentry. Some things **** me off, some things I take
seriously, some things I just like a good laugh over. To me it often depends
on the intent that things are given/provided.

With the MBG, some people may ascribe to him a crusade against the extremes
of affirmative action of political correctness (though the two are not
necessarily the same and the term PC I think is often used in a lazy and
ignorant fashion by people who simply want to complain). They may see the
MBG taking affirmative action to an extreme, and then hold it up as an
example to argue against affirmative action or claim how 'the white man is
now victimised', 'blacks and hispanics etc are priveliged' etc etc. Some
people may think that way, as warped as such thinking may be. That some guy
play acts militant affirmative action does not take away the matter that
some level of AA is still desirable and that we live, to a more or less
extent though changing, societies still founded on european paternalism.
Societies still have a bias toward male and white and asset rich. Things are
changing, and some of the institutions my white grandfather depended on have
gone. I however am priveliged by being white and male and middle class.

The MBG may be parodying (playing on) 'white guilt' or 'oversensitivity'. To
some extent there is an over reaction to being white and male. I need not
carry guilt around with me, nor do I need to be as politically sensitive as
I may be. That being, some people who cry disadvantage and denial need to
harden up and realise the world doesn't owe them a living. There are
opportunities around for them to avail themselves of. On the other hand,
there are things that the 'white race' needs to take responsibility for and
make amends for. There is a balance to be found.

Some people may think that the MBG cheapens the memory of the Malcolm Xs &
Martin Luthers. Arguably, if to a lesser entent perhaps, he may cheapen the
'poor white folk' he goes out to bugger up. I personally don't think he sets
out to do that. Therefore, if there is any by product of that nature I
account for it and try to interpret his true motives. I see humour quite
often as humour for the sake of humour. It can be political and I understand
and appreciate that. On another level it can also be straight amusing and I
understand and appreciate that as well.

rob