Old 12-09-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What's turning the grass black

Both my neighbor and I have spots where the grasses turning black, almost
moldy looking. The areas are irregular. I can't see anything like a fruiting
structure, but it is black, not brown.
No frost yet

Cheryl
(southern NH)

Old 12-09-2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Both my neighbor and I have spots where the grasses turning black, almost
moldy looking. The areas are irregular. I can't see anything like a
fruiting
structure, but it is black, not brown.
No frost yet

Cheryl
(southern NH)

Here's a link to your state's cooperative extension service. The 6th link
looks promising. If not, I'd give them a call. One of their functions is to
assist homeowners with questions like yours. And, they'll be more familiar
with local disease issues than probably any other source.

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.co...ension.unh.edu

Main page:
http://extension.unh.edu/

Old 12-09-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/12/07 9:51 AM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Both my neighbor and I have spots where the grasses turning black, almost
moldy looking. The areas are irregular. I can't see anything like a
fruiting
structure, but it is black, not brown.
No frost yet

Cheryl
(southern NH)

Here's a link to your state's cooperative extension service. The 6th link
looks promising. If not, I'd give them a call. One of their functions is to
assist homeowners with questions like yours. And, they'll be more familiar
with local disease issues than probably any other source.

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.co...earch&domains=
extension.unh.edu&sitesearch=extension.unh.edu

Main page:
http://extension.unh.edu/

Thanks
Cheryl

Old 13-09-2007, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Both my neighbor and I have spots where the grasses turning black, almost
moldy looking. The areas are irregular. I can't see anything like a

fruiting
structure, but it is black, not brown.
No frost yet

Cheryl
(southern NH)

If it looks like tiny balls/dots of black on the surface of the blades,
maybe affecting a small patch 6-12 inches wide, then it is probably slime
mold. Slime molds are not pathogenic to the grass, it just looks ugly. It'll
just go away when it gets drier, but it will come back in the future. No
control measure is needed. You could just hose it off.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

Old 15-09-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Did I tell you guys about the woman at the feed store last winter? I was
picking up a bag of bird seed and this woman was screaming at the
clerk/owner that they were a bunch of racists for having "niger seed" for
the birds.
... ( btw, she was pale of complexion).

Idiots amongst us - and they breed!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 15-09-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 15, 6:43 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 9/14/07 8:58 PM, in article ,

"Ann" wrote:
Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Did I tell you guys about the woman at the feed store last winter? I was
picking up a bag of bird seed and this woman was screaming at the
clerk/owner that they were a bunch of racists for having "niger seed" for
the birds.
... ( btw, she was pale of complexion).

chortle

Idiots amongst us - and they breed!

snicker

The worst part - I could make a fairly educated guess to her "vehicle",
since I recognized the usual suspects in the lot (yup - I'm there a lot) and
it was covered with "if you can read this, thank a teacher" and the like
bumper stickers.

Some people should stay in the city......

AMEN!!

Old 16-09-2007, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.boats

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
.. .

"Ann" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Did I tell you guys about the woman at the feed store last winter? I was
picking up a bag of bird seed and this woman was screaming at the
clerk/owner that they were a bunch of racists for having "niger seed" for
the birds.
... ( btw, she was pale of complexion).

Idiots amongst us - and they breed!

A slimeball of the worst kind. Racist and impersonating someone else.

Old 16-09-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Did I tell you guys about the woman at the feed store last winter? I

was
picking up a bag of bird seed and this woman was screaming at the
clerk/owner that they were a bunch of racists for having "niger seed"

for
the birds.
... ( btw, she was pale of complexion).

Idiots amongst us - and they breed!

The worst part - I could make a fairly educated guess to her "vehicle",
since I recognized the usual suspects in the lot (yup - I'm there a lot)

and
it was covered with "if you can read this, thank a teacher" and the like
bumper stickers.

Some people should stay in the city......

militant black guy (a bit of a **** take)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3f4z7BNnqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4Q2fTejL4

rob

There is a difference between the erroneous outrage of the woman in the
feed store and the demented stereotypes of your videos, rob. The former
was out of ethnic concern, the later is tribal mockery. You are an
embarrassment to humanity and a waste of space.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 16-09-2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:12:06 -0400, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

http://i4.tinypic.com/4u9adew.j

INDEED!

I love the wine shop scene in the second one
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Old 17-09-2007, 10:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 9/14/07 8:58 PM, in article

,
"Ann" wrote:

[...]

maybe so Billy, maybe so. The lady in the feed store may have been genuinely
mistaken. The videos of the militant black guy were a deliberate set up,
tribal mockery as you called it, whatever that is. You are free to find that
stuff embarrasing or a waste of space if you choose. To me it is a **** take
of extreme racial intolerence or sensitivity or affirmative action. It could
also simply be a guy trying to take the **** out of people. I myself don't
view it too seriously.

rob

Old 18-09-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

"Ann" wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry, I don't quite catch your banter. Two people separated by a
common language, and all that. What I do know is that many of us are
defined by the media. Women are supposed to be thin and young, blacks
are supposed to be hip and promiscuous, Native Americans are stoic and
wise, and white men are balding children with pot bellies. The media
holds up examples of who we are, and too many people believe it. Malcolm
X, Martin Luthur King Jr., and Bill Cosby would not find "The Militant
Black Guy" funny. If you are not a person of color, I would put that
shit away and don't offer it again. It is offensive.