Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A fast climber that looks good all year round?

Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8 feet
high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter & doesn't die....
For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is shaded for a bit more
than half of the day and full sun for the rest. Preferably fast growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8
feet high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter &
doesn't die.... For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is
shaded for a bit more than half of the day and full sun for the rest.
Preferably fast growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

The fastest grpwing thing I ever planted was a Potato Vine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_crispum

That might fit the bill but I think you'll need to prune it regularly
to keep it down to 6-8 feet!

--
Chris
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Middleton?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On 4 May 2011 08:23:01 GMT, "CT" wrote:
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8
feet high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter &
doesn't die.... For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is
shaded for a bit more than half of the day and full sun for the rest.
Preferably fast growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

The fastest grpwing thing I ever planted was a Potato Vine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_crispum

That might fit the bill but I think you'll need to prune it regularly
to keep it down to 6-8 feet!

Mine died last winter. I think Solanum crispum is not so hardy if
there are a few frosty days and nights.

Mine did, too, and one I had 20+ years ago died the first winter.
It can't take more than very light frost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8
feet high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter &
doesn't die.... For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is
shaded for a bit more than half of the day and full sun for the rest.
Preferably fast growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

The fastest grpwing thing I ever planted was a Potato Vine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_crispum

That might fit the bill but I think you'll need to prune it regularly
to keep it down to 6-8 feet!

Mine died last winter. I think Solanum crispum is not so hardy if
there are a few frosty days and nights.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8
feet high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter &
doesn't die.... For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is
shaded for a bit more than half of the day and full sun for the rest.
Preferably fast growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

The fastest grpwing thing I ever planted was a Potato Vine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_crispum

That might fit the bill but I think you'll need to prune it regularly
to keep it down to 6-8 feet!

Mine died last winter. I think Solanum crispum is not so hardy if
there are a few frosty days and nights.

Mine did, too, and one I had 20+ years ago died the first winter.
It can't take more than very light frost.

I think it may depend on situation, and maybe a bit of dumb luck. Mine
is in its third year against a wall in a little courtyard with only a
bit of sun. It grows like a mad thing, and has to be pruned every
year, and has survived two hard winters in a row in the West Mids. It
doesn't look good all year round.

--
Mike.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 May, 22:15, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8 feet
high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter & doesn't die....
For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is shaded for a bit more
than half of the day and full sun for the rest. Preferably fast growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

Clematis armandii

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/1126.shtml
Old 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by earcanal View Post
Clematis armandii
Even those will die in a harsh winter. My brother is near Warrington and his died in the recent winter.

Basically, it is wishful thinking to expect something to grows fast to 6-8 foot and stops. You can either have something that grows slowly and will eventually be around 6-8 feet. Or you can have something fast growing and have to trim it every year.

Abutilon megapotamicum is worth considering. Hardiest of the abutilons, it is evergreen in a mild winter, will take a couple of years to get to 6-8 feet, and after that tends to thicken out rather than extend. But I think mine was frozen to the ground in the last winter. I don't know how it would be in a half-sunny aspect, I have mine on a south facing fence.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalguy2k8[_2_] View Post
Hi, looking for any type of climber to cover a trellis 6-8 feet
high
The following are evergreen or semi-evergreen depending on climate and have worked well for me in West Sussex.
Clematis Armandii needs shelter preferably sunny, Pyracantha (hardy), Trachelospermum jasminoides (borderline hardy) & Akebia quinata (hardy) and will attach to trellis. All benefit from training on wires to help establish good coverage .

Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
echinosum wrote:
earcanal;919999 Wrote:

Clematis armandii

Even those will die in a harsh winter. My brother is near Warrington
and his died in the recent winter.

Mine have suffered, but they're pretty tough. But, as you say,
severe cold will kill them.

Basically, it is wishful thinking to expect something to grows fast to
6-8 foot and stops. You can either have something that grows slowly and
will eventually be around 6-8 feet. Or you can have something fast
growing and have to trim it every year.

Yes.

Abutilon megapotamicum is worth considering. Hardiest of the abutilons,
it is evergreen in a mild winter, will take a couple of years to get to
6-8 feet, and after that tends to thicken out rather than extend. But I
think mine was frozen to the ground in the last winter. I don't know
how it would be in a half-sunny aspect, I have mine on a south facing
fence.

Yes, but it's no hardier than C. armandii.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8 feet
high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter & doesn't
die.... For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is shaded for a
bit more than half of the day and full sun for the rest. Preferably fast
growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

Thanks everyone, plenty of good advice.

For the record, I did mean that I am getting 6-8 feet of trellis and will
trim the plant to fit (eventually)... not that I expected it to reach 72
inches and stop LOL