Old 27-09-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Groundhogs

Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They
have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses,
or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Old 27-09-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:
Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They
have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses,
or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Groundhog's a little tougher but tastes like chicken
Frank
Old 27-09-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote:

Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They
have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses,
or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Just a guess how about Hosta or Day Lilies ? Groundhogs have discovered
our food garden this year too .

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 27-09-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in message
. ..
Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course.
They have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental
grasses, or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a
must.
Thanks,
Carolyn

More hellebores, ornamental grasses & ferns.

Old 27-09-2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've trapped and re-located four since April.

They made quick work of the cukes and pansies. They crossed the line when
they started in on my tomatoes, so a few Hav-A-Hart traps and a 10-mile car
ride worked wonders.

Old 27-09-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"AlanG" wrote in message
. ..
I've trapped and re-located four since April.

They made quick work of the cukes and pansies. They crossed the line when
they started in on my tomatoes, so a few Hav-A-Hart traps and a 10-mile
car ride worked wonders.

Before putting up a fence, I was making fence wire cages placed over some
crops, secured with bricks. Worked nicely.

Old 27-09-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Carolyn LeCrone" expounded:

Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They
have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses,
or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Attract some coyotes ;-
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 28-09-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

AlanG wrote:

I've trapped and re-located four since April.

They made quick work of the cukes and pansies.
They crossed the line when they started in on my
tomatoes, so a few Hav-A-Hart traps and a
10-mile car ride worked wonders.

Been there, done that. Now I have racoon
problems.

I think they moved into the old groundhog dens.
Old 28-09-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:

Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden
planted on a golf course. They
have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten
hellebores, ornamental grasses,
or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low
maintenance is a must. Thanks,
Carolyn

Try some herbs. I have planted Tyme, Tarragon,
Lavender, Oregano and Sage and they haven't even
nibbled on these.
Old 28-09-2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 27, 2:43 pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Carolyn LeCrone wrote:
Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They
have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses,
or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Groundhog's a little tougher but tastes like chicken
Frank

Castor beans are good for getting rid of moles, so maybe they would
work for groundhogs too. I don't know, but the seeds are poisonous,
but the plants are cool. I planted some this year just for the
foliage and they look so nice....everyone that drives by when I'm
outside stops and wants to know what they are and were to get the
seed. So give it a try, maybe it'll work for you, if not, you'll
still have some pretty foliage. barb

Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:
Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They
have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses,
or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Fishers.

[IMG] code is On

Groundhogs Mike Davis Gardening 48 15-03-2004 12:02 AM
have any groundhogs? glowworm Orchids 4 08-10-2003 12:42 PM
have groundhogs? glowworm Gardening 9 08-10-2003 04:18 AM
have groundhogs? glowworm Roses 0 05-10-2003 05:12 PM
Repelling of groundhogs Indictorfands Edible Gardening 13 22-08-2003 07:32 PM