Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default lawn winterize

Ann said:

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

No they weren't. You only partially reset them. So, do you have a double
standard about crossposts? You only want them crossposted to where *you*
frequent?

NO, it was late and I didn't notice the other.

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time
would be that it was too early?

Why do you keep trying to redirect? There are
people in rec.gardens who are interested as well.

I have no interest in misc.rural [1] and I don't read rec.gardens on a
regular basis, but in the future should both a.h.l.g. and r.g. be in the
crossposted message, *and* my reply is relevant [2] to both groups, tho I
detest crossposts, I'll leave them. Fair enough?

Not really.

Well, it is, and that's the way it'll be. I'll be the one to choose what,
when, and where I post. I snipped what was irrelevant to my reply, and my
reply was more relevant to a.h.l.g., so that's where the flup went.

[1]. Which you didn't reset. And, which is apparently where the post I
replied to originated, unless it was a post by a nym-shifter. I've little
time to do that in-depth of a search to know if it was a nym-shifter, tho I
doubt it was.

Just leave the follups alone and you don't have to keep track of
anything.

Again, I'll post as I see fit, in accordance with subject matter to which
I'm replying.

[2] I replied to only a part of BR's post dealing with "lawn", which I felt
was more relevant to a.h.l.g.

Make sense? =)

{shrug} Not really. There are many in rec.gardens participating in
this thread, and interested.

And, my post went to all of the groups, but the flup was set to the group
that was most relevant. If they choose to reply to the sub-thread, they can
do so, or not. The name of the group is *not* rec.lawn.garden. The
sub-thread had *nothing* to do with gardens. My flup went where it should.

I only snip when it's a troll post and I
know a post about roses shoudln't go to say, alt.repair.toyota. Other
than that, when a conversation is going in and out of three or four
newsgroups and everyone seems to be participating I leave it alone.

That's *you*, not me. I choose to post to the more appropriate group.

--

Eggs

-A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

cheree wrote:

Grizzly wrote:
Jim wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Jim wrote:
symplastless wrote:

To winterize or not to winterize lawn
snip
this is precious, simply precious
Yeah. I have seen that several times over the years and there is so
much truth to it. I see that the annual 'what to use to bag leaves'
threads have started over alt.home.repair. Even after they have been
told the simple way is to mow/mulch em, they still go on about buying
fancy equipment to vacuum them up.

Harry K

http://www.milkyspore.com/

I've been trying to move my customers towards organic methods.
triple shred, putting leaves through the shredder three times
produces some dense mulch. with the new and deeper understanding
acquired recently for how many of the selective herbicides and
insecticides as well as improper or incorrect applications of
nitrogen actually have a great negative impact on the environment
as well as the ground water, I've decided it is now time to make
some changes concerning how the suburbanites acquire and obtain
the lawns they desire.

in short, if the chemical bonds with the soil at the molecular
particle level then that chemical is removed from my list of
what is acceptable to use. the list is getting short.

Jim

We cut the grass with a bush hog a couple of times a year whether it
needs it or not. I ain't raking no leaves or riding or pushing a lawn
mower even if you pay me gold standard to do it.. The birds love the
thistles that grow in the back yard. I've found that you don't need
bird feeders to attract them, just let the natural flora grow up and the
birds will flock to it to get the seeds and nectar (humming birds love
phlox and other sweet smelling flowers.. The birds planted mulberry
trees and currant bushes and black raspberries all over the property
around the edges of our woods..They have done more to benefit the
property and myself(I love berry jam) than any stinkin' lawnmower
would.I don't use herbicide or pesticide on anything. It's not nice to
poison plants and animals. I do live on a farm, and don't worry about
what my neighbors think of my lack of grass cutting.. The leaves rot
down and disintegrate by themselves under the trees. The wells out here
in farm country tend to wind up contaminated by the over zealous
application of herbicide and pesticide, and I for one don't want to add
that crap to the water I pull up out of the ground that I have to drink.
Quite a few of the private wells out here are contaminated with Alachor/
the breakdown product of the Herbicide Lasso. It is carcinogenic and
once it is in the groundwater it takes a long time to dissipate..- Hide quoted text -

Hi, I'm new to the group, but thought I'd jump in and give my 2 cents
worth. I'm right there with you, Grizzly. In fact, I had to laugh at
my brother-in-law who just moved out here. He thought it was
important to mow and rake all 15 acres of my place. I tried to
explain the bush hog twice a year concept, but he was proud of the
nice looking "lawn." I tried to explain the difference between a
"lawn" and a "pasture," but he didn't get that either. I told him he
was probably the laughing stock of the community. Everyone was
saying, "look at that crazy California city boy out there push mowing
the pasture, raking, and wheelbarrowing it down to the burn pit!"
Now, I drew the line when he tried to make the teenage boys help him
rake in the 100+ degree, 60% humidity Arkansas summer heat wave. If
he wanted to suffer from heat stroke, more power to him. But, the
kids weren't going to rake that up. It could stay where it was.

I always enjoy a good city boy moved to the country
story. thank you for this one.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time
would be that it was too early?

Do what you want. I'm not the only one who restored the followups you
set. I'll just do as I please from now on, also.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Ann said:

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time
would be that it was too early?

Do what you want. I'm not the only one who restored the followups you
set.

Sure you are. Only four people have replied to this sub-thread: You, BR,
Steveo, and myself. BR and Steveo both left the flup as I set it. I have no
hard-kills set for this group. Who else does do you see that restored the
groups? Noone. So, it seems that only *you* have a problem with it.

I'll just do as I please from now on, also.

That's as it should be. =)
--

Eggs

-Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Ann said:
Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time
would be that it was too early?

Do what you want. I'm not the only one who restored the followups you
set.

Sure you are.

what about those in your kill file?
how is it you know what they do?

Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[irrelevant groups snipped]
[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

Jim said:
Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Ann said:
Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time
would be that it was too early?

Do what you want. I'm not the only one who restored the followups you
set.

Sure you are.

what about those in your kill file?
how is it you know what they do?

Did you even read the paragraph, that you quoted, below?

yep.

Pay particular
attention to the sentence, "I have no hard-kills set for this group.". Any
downscored posters are only marked as read. Simply viewing "All Posts"
reveals everyone that posted to the thread.

noting your additional explanation contained here.

Only four people have replied to this sub-thread: You, BR,
Steveo, and myself. BR and Steveo both left the flup as I set it. I have no
hard-kills set for this group.

Who else does do you see that restored the

so what happened right here? btw - I was being
tolerant. now I'm asking.

groups? Noone. So, it seems that only *you* have a problem with it.

I'll just do as I please from now on, also.

That's as it should be. =)

I've noticed that you re-added misc.rural,

that was rather observant of you. can you tell me
who originally cross posted this thread across the
3 groups?

Jim. I'm guessing you did it to
try and bother me, somehow.

why would I want to bother you Eggs?

You failed, miserably. All that you've proved
is that you failed to read (comprehend?)

I read it. the proper an accepted term is and always has
been 'killfile' and would have by itself made unnecessary
the additional explanation you included in 'this' reply of
yours..

Eggs, you know how top posting sort of bothers you enough
to the point of where you'll actually in your reply state
"[top-posting fixed]" at the beginning of your replies to
a top poster? doing that habitually as you do projects an
image of you as being one who attempts to impose their will
upon others. is it your will or is it what's been established
as usenet acceptable you desire to have others conform to?

the post to which you replied.

HTH, HAND

had a marvelous day, thank you.

rate the relevance of this conversational exchange for
subject topic matter pertinency towards anyone of the
news groups it has been posted in.

--

Eggs

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is
'uncopyrightable'!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

[irrelevant groups snipped]
[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

Jim said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Ann said:
Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time
would be that it was too early?

Do what you want. I'm not the only one who restored the followups you
set.

Sure you are.

what about those in your kill file?
how is it you know what they do?

Did you even read the paragraph, that you quoted, below? Pay particular
attention to the sentence, "I have no hard-kills set for this group.". Any
downscored posters are only marked as read. Simply viewing "All Posts"
reveals everyone that posted to the thread.

Only four people have replied to this sub-thread: You, BR,
Steveo, and myself. BR and Steveo both left the flup as I set it. I have no
hard-kills set for this group. Who else does do you see that restored the
groups? Noone. So, it seems that only *you* have a problem with it.

I'll just do as I please from now on, also.

That's as it should be. =)

I've noticed that you re-added misc.rural, Jim. I'm guessing you did it to
try and bother me, somehow. You failed, miserably. All that you've proved
is that you failed to read (comprehend?) the post to which you replied.

HTH, HAND

Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,misc.rural

Jim said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[irrelevant groups snipped]
[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

Jim said:
Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Ann said:
Eggs Zachtly expounded:

[...]

I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry. Ann stated that she wasn't
the only one that had restored the crossposted groups, when clearly she
was.

groups? Noone. So, it seems that only *you* have a problem with it.

I'll just do as I please from now on, also.

That's as it should be. =)

I've noticed that you re-added misc.rural,

that was rather observant of you.

Thanks. Once in a great while, I have my moments. =)

can you tell me who originally cross posted this thread across the
3 groups?

That would be you. =)

Jim. I'm guessing you did it to
try and bother me, somehow.

why would I want to bother you Eggs?

That's one thing that I couldn't figure out.

You failed, miserably. All that you've proved
is that you failed to read (comprehend?)

I read it. the proper an accepted term is and always has
been 'killfile' and would have by itself made unnecessary
the additional explanation you included in 'this' reply of
yours..

Eggs, you know how top posting sort of bothers you enough
to the point of where you'll actually in your reply state
"[top-posting fixed]" at the beginning of your replies to
a top poster? doing that habitually as you do projects an
image of you as being one who attempts to impose their will
upon others. is it your will or is it what's been established
as usenet acceptable you desire to have others conform to?

It's been the accepted practice since the inception of The USENET (and
before, actually). It has nothing at all to do with 'imposing my will upon
others'. There are crap newsreaders out there [1], that place the cursor at
the first line of the reply, before the attribution line, which forces the
user to top post (which, they wrongly do, until it is pointed out to them
that /very/ few groups accept top-posting as their preferred method of
replying), or manually place their reply inline (proper), or at the end of
the quoted material (just as bad as top-posting), or they completely bork
quotes, line length, etc.

Then there's G2, which is desperately trying to convince it's users that
Google Groups is somehow, something that Google came up with. It's simply
an interface to The USENET, an archive, and nothing more. It also borks
quotes something awful, and it's getting worse with each release. It was
good that Google took over the DejaNews archive, but even the archive is
borked now. =(

the post to which you replied.

HTH, HAND

had a marvelous day, thank you.

Great to hear it. Hope the weather in your area has turned for the better.
It sure has here. Had to get the Carharts out this morning, HEH. =D

rate the relevance of this conversational exchange for
subject topic matter pertinency towards anyone of the
news groups it has been posted in.

I'll leave the groups, and not set a flup. Perhaps a user or two will
pickup on proper posting habits. A simple search on GNKSA and/or netiquette
would do those that don't understand, a world of good. =)

[1] Such as Forte Agent (and Free Agent), OE, AOL, Opera, XanaNews, G2,
etc, none of which has past the GNKSA, and likely never will.

--

Eggs

-A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,misc.rural
Ann Ann is offline

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry. Ann stated that she wasn't
the only one that had restored the crossposted groups, when clearly she
was.

No, actually, I was mistaken, it wasn't in this thread that someone
restored the crossposts you snipped, it was another. Doesn't matter.
You want to be in charge, but so do others. Time to get over it.....
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,misc.rural

Ann said:

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry. Ann stated that she wasn't
the only one that had restored the crossposted groups, when clearly she
was.

No, actually, I was mistaken, it wasn't in this thread that someone
restored the crossposts you snipped, it was another. Doesn't matter.
You want to be in charge, but so do others. Time to get over it.....

Deal! =)

Happy gardening, Ann. =)
--

Eggs

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Old 17-10-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Neon John" wrote in message

What do you do when there is a 3 foot layer of leaves?

Blow 'em up into a big pile. Jump and play in the pile, recalling one's
youth. Then
set 'em afire and enjoy the warmth and the lovely odor. Burning leaves are
one of my
favorite smells, a warm reminder that fall is here at last.

Then wait for the police or state EPA to show up.

Burning leaves is illegal in lots of places these days.

Bob

Old 17-10-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Neon John" wrote in message

What do you do when there is a 3 foot layer of leaves?

Blow 'em up into a big pile. Jump and play in the pile, recalling one's
youth. Then
set 'em afire and enjoy the warmth and the lovely odor. Burning leaves
are one of my
favorite smells, a warm reminder that fall is here at last.

Then wait for the police or state EPA to show up.

Burning leaves is illegal in lots of places these days.

Bob

Even when there's a drought in many places? :-)

Old 20-10-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Jim" wrote in message
the people who have figured out composting
are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their
carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how
there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better
healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in
harmony with one another.

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost over
a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob

Old 20-10-2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Jim" wrote in message
the people who have figured out composting
are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their
carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how
there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better
healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in
harmony with one another.

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost
over a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob

Not a serious suggestion at all: Grind to aspirin-size bits in your food
processor. A year later, when that's done, spread it on the lawn.

Old 20-10-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
snip
Not a serious suggestion at all: Grind to aspirin-size bits in your food
processor. A year later, when that's done, spread it on the lawn.

Good lawn winterize? (pain free lawn)

[IMG] code is On

Lawn Winterize symplastless Gardening 0 03-10-2008 12:26 AM
lawn winterize Jim Lawns 76 05-11-2007 12:02 AM
Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize? Doug Kanter Gardening 5 25-11-2006 06:35 PM
Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize? John Smith Lawns 9 23-11-2006 05:43 PM
Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize? John Smith Gardening 2 22-11-2006 12:45 AM