Old 17-10-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moonflower bush (Datura)

Hi,

I am in the midwest US.

I finally got a moonflower bush (Datura) started in my front yard about
2 months ago. It was a transplant and was in "intensive care" for a week
or so, then started growing like crazy and flowering beautifully.

The basic plant still looks quite healthy, but it stopped flowering
about 5 weeks ago. Other datura's in the 'hood have been flowering
very nicely.

Any ideas as to why my moonflower stopped flowering?

Thanks,
Puddin'
"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
Old 18-10-2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:18:44 -0500, Jangchub wrote:

Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:37:51 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Hi,

I am in the midwest US.

I finally got a moonflower bush (Datura) started in my front yard about
2 months ago. It was a transplant and was in "intensive care" for a week
or so, then started growing like crazy and flowering beautifully.

The basic plant still looks quite healthy, but it stopped flowering
about 5 weeks ago. Other datura's in the 'hood have been flowering
very nicely.

Any ideas as to why my moonflower stopped flowering?

Datura has many forms and the most common is D. inoxia or D. wrightii.
They bloom in cycles of a month to six weeks. They need cool nights
to set bloom, so in heat they may slow down a bit. It is only root
hardy to USDA Zone 8. I have many forms of this plant. If you remove
the seed pods left behind by the last bloom cycle you may encourage
it to bloom again.

I'm pretty sure I've got D. inoxia.

I clipped the brown pods off some time ago. The green pods are
still on the plant.

There are about 3 tiny "shoots" on the plant. I noticed that one fell
off yesterday without blooming.

Thanks,

Old 18-10-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Datura usually = toxic.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 18-10-2007, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Puddin' Man expounded:

I clipped the brown pods off some time ago. The green pods are
still on the plant.

I clip off the pods as they form - daily when the plant is in full
bloom. Don't let them turn brown - the plant then thinks it's
fulfilled its mission (set seed to propogate itself) and stops
blooming.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 18-10-2007, 12:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

Datura usually = toxic.

Datura = beautiful. Just don't eat the leaves or seed pods.

How many plants in our gardens are poisonous? Tomato leaves are
toxic, so are potatoes. Foxgloves are very dangerous, especially for
anyone with a heart condition. Monkshood. There are many. Watch
your children, educate them, make sure they don't put things in their
mouths they shouldn't, and grow beautiful plants.

Old 18-10-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Jangchub expounded:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:09:42 -0400, Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

Datura usually = toxic.

Datura = beautiful. Just don't eat the leaves or seed pods.

How many plants in our gardens are poisonous? Tomato leaves are
toxic, so are potatoes. Foxgloves are very dangerous, especially for
anyone with a heart condition. Monkshood. There are many. Watch
your children, educate them, make sure they don't put things in their
mouths they shouldn't, and grow beautiful plants.

I just said the same things~

Great minds think alike - but you know what they say about fools ;-
Old 18-10-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

I finally got a moonflower bush (Datura)

Just curious why you call it a Moonflower?
I usually associate that term with Ipomoea alba.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 18-10-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:12:19 -0400, "Buderschnookie" wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .

I finally got a moonflower bush (Datura)

Just curious why you call it a Moonflower?
I usually associate that term with Ipomoea alba.

It's common parlance hereabouts. And it fits the Datura
flowering behavior, at least in hot weather (flowers open
at nite, close in morn).

I also have a very nice Ipomoea vine doing quite well in the
back yard.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

[IMG] code is On

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
MoonFlower Starlord Garden Photos 2 18-06-2007 08:08 PM
Moonflower in Michigan simy1 Gardening 8 08-10-2006 03:39 AM
Moonflower question Gary Gardening 4 10-02-2005 12:33 AM
Moonflower Mutant Mark Herbert Gardening 14 16-09-2004 01:05 AM