Old 21-10-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Harty Mum Question

I purchased a small harty mum in a container. If I keep it in my house
with it survive? Would it be a perrential if I maintain it properly?

Thanks

Tom

Old 21-10-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:47:52 -0700, "
wrote:

I purchased a small harty mum in a container. If I keep it in my house
with it survive? Would it be a perrential if I maintain it properly?

Thanks

Tom

It won't grow well indoors, unless you have an ideal environment. You
have a much better chance growing mums outdoors and
pruning/fertilizing them as directed. Most people add the mums to the
compost pile (or toss them out) after blooming.
Old 21-10-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Depending upon where you live, I have seen mums planted outside and they do
quite well as long as they are watered properly. In zone 7 (Arkansas) they
did very well, and I have had good luck with them here in zone 5 (Kansas).
I think the colors change after the first or second year, but that might be
because our soil pH is close to neutral. They might like more acid.

Dwayne

ups.com...

Old 22-10-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dwayne wrote:
Depending upon where you live, I have seen mums planted outside and they do
quite well as long as they are watered properly. In zone 7 (Arkansas) they
did very well, and I have had good luck with them here in zone 5 (Kansas).
I think the colors change after the first or second year, but that might be
because our soil pH is close to neutral. They might like more acid.

Dwayne

wrote in message
ups.com...
I purchased a small harty mum in a container. If I keep it in my house
with it survive? Would it be a perrential if I maintain it properly?

Thanks

Tom

Zone 6 (Kentucky) is a thumbs up on growing outside. Just get them in
the ground somewhere. I doubt that they'd survive in pots, especially
further north.
Old 22-10-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
Dwayne wrote:
Depending upon where you live, I have seen mums planted outside and they
do quite well as long as they are watered properly. In zone 7 (Arkansas)
they did very well, and I have had good luck with them here in zone 5
(Kansas). I think the colors change after the first or second year, but
that might be because our soil pH is close to neutral. They might like
more acid.

Dwayne

wrote in message
ups.com...
I purchased a small harty mum in a container. If I keep it in my house
with it survive? Would it be a perrential if I maintain it properly?

Thanks

Tom

Zone 6 (Kentucky) is a thumbs up on growing outside. Just get them in the
ground somewhere. I doubt that they'd survive in pots, especially further
north.

They'll also (usually) survive winters in Western NY (zones 5/6) if planted
up against the foundation of the house or other structure that retains heat
and has a southern exposure. Your mileage may vary.

Old 22-10-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hey Ingrid, That's exactly what happened to ours! It bloomed
(sparsely) the next year then bit the dust, just like my poinsettia.
When taken from an ideal greenhouse environment, they just barely
thrive.

Old 23-10-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I purchased a small harty mum in a container. If I keep it in my house
with it survive? Would it be a perrential if I maintain it properly?

Thanks

Tom

My dad in law could grow mums "football" real well in his sandy soil.
This was in N. Jersey Langhurst close to the oceaan. We can't do it
and treat them like annuals.
The local mums that are dug around here seem to not be perennial yet
the same folks have them up for sale every fall. I got to stop in some
time and ask what the secret is. I'll offer a Japanese maple to loosen
their tongues )

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade