Old 22-10-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is Your Favorite Online Nursery?

Bay Laurel nursery, Raintree for fruit trees, Jungs nursery for cold hardy, Musser
Forest for very inexpensive trees and bushes, Greer Gardens for all kinds of plants
but especially flowering bushes.
Ingrid

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:38:55 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

Old 22-10-2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

Forgot to mention that if you visit Fairweather gardens you may want to
stop at Centerton Inn for lunch. Circa 1705 it is about 10 miles away.

http://www.centertoninn.com/

Bill

Another Tidbit I forgot.

Longwood Gardens may send some people over for the open houses to
answer questions and local plant breeders help out too. They were there
my few times I went. You miss all this online but if you are close to
S. Jersey ? It may be a day trip the savings on shipping will buy you
lunch and Gas.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 22-10-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 22, 3:09 pm, wrote:
Oh Charlie..... starks is horrible. they graft stuff onto incompatible rootstocks
(well they did 20 years ago or so). I rate them with Gurneys.
Ingrid

*snip*

Don't know about 20 years ago (I was only 4 then!!), but I ordered
from Stark Bros. about 7 months ago, and was happy (& i still am!)
with what I got.
Personally, my favorite for other things is Spring Hill
(springhillnursery.com). Love their sells & haven't had a problem with
them yet. They have a nice color catalog also...

~Rae

Old 22-10-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Glad you said something about Gurneys.. Was looking through their stock
just yesterday. Take it they're not great?

Avoid Gurneys. The same company that owns them also runs Michigan Bulb,
Breck, Spring Hill and several other companies. They all should be
avoided. Their plants are very small and quite often their perennials
don't make it through their first season (no matter how well you take
care of them). Some of the companies (like Spring Hill) have a
"lifetime" replacement policy but that is such a hassle and it puts you
one year behind in your garden. You are much better off just buying
good plants.

This time of year a lot of people are planting bulbs for their spring
garden. Two places that have excellent quality bulbs are John
Scheepers, Inc. and Van Egelen, Inc. Both are run by the same company.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 23-10-2007, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

I prefer to hve a catalog in my hands. Easier to browse in bed, or in
the...umm....library, yea, that's it! G

Isn't most catalog paper too slick for that:-)?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley

Old 23-10-2007, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

I go along with dr-solo for Starks, at least for fruit trees. Any nursery that doesn't
specify what root stocks are used are suspect for problems. Starks commercial
operation does a better job of this, but their regular sales do not have control of
their rootstocks. This can be a problem if they put the wrong one on your tree and
you get a full size tree when you expected a dwarf.

I like Muesser Forest for reasonably priced evergreens. They sometimes fail, but
Muesser is very good about replacing them.

There are many good nurseries where they do specify the rootstocks, or will even custom
make a tree for you with your choice of variety and
rootstock. Included would be nurseries like Raintree and Trees of Antiquity.
Consumers should check the catalogs or online descriptions for suppliers that give
these kinds of details. Otherwise, you are buying a 'supermarket' tree, and you may
or may not get what you want.

Sherwin

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

wrote:
Oh Charlie..... starks is horrible. they graft stuff onto incompatible rootstocks
(well they did 20 years ago or so). I rate them with Gurneys.
Ingrid

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:15:25 -0500, Charlie wrote:
I've been pleased with trees from Stark Brothers.

http://www.starkbros.com/

Garden centers often carry Stark Bros. stcok as well.

Here is a review,
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/189/

Charlie

20 years is a long time for them to realize mistakes and correct them..

Old 23-10-2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

Thanks for all your input folks.. Quite a few good merchants you all
listed and I'll surely have a ton of fun going through each to pick and
choose things to buy!

Appreciate it greatly.
Old 23-10-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

its one of those funny things. if they send you a catalogue for free and you didnt
order from them or ask for it, dont buy from em.
I forgot Forest Farm on my list. I think that is where I got several varieties of
forsythia to try out see which one did best.
whatcha looking for?????

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:10:00 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand

Old 23-10-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

wait until the third year and the tree just dies from incompatible rootstock, or the
dwarf tree isnt. there is a worse outfit up in candindegua (sp??) that put all the
stone fruits on sand cherry. they all died third year. waste of time.
spring hill? tooooo funny.
Ingrid

Old 23-10-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/23/07 2:32 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

its one of those funny things. if they send you a catalogue for free and you
didnt
order from them or ask for it, dont buy from em.
I forgot Forest Farm on my list. I think that is where I got several
varieties of
forsythia to try out see which one did best.
whatcha looking for?????\\

That was one of my favorite places to order from when I was buying lots more
plants.