Old 22-10-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is Your Favorite Online Nursery?

Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

Old 22-10-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

Why?

Beyond the point that I asked?

Well, never mind.. I'll just stick with that I'd like to know, and I'm
sure others may be interested in who people consider reputable merchants
online for plants.

But whatever.
Old 22-10-2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

I just got the best plants I ever bought online from FantasticPlants.com.
Big healthy things...conifers, maples, boxwoods and so on.
Got some dandy azaleas from RarePlants.com too.

They will both be hearing from me again!

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 22-10-2007, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

I like fairweather. They have open houses where you can pickup your
plants.

http://www.fairweathergardens.com/

Bill

Ps their catalogue is a great reference.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 22-10-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

I like fairweather. They have open houses where you can pickup your
plants.

http://www.fairweathergardens.com/

Bill

Ps their catalogue is a great reference.

Looks like they have a big inventory.. Hard to follow the site though
without images of the plants.. Keep having to google the images so I can
see some of the ones I'm not sure of.

Huh, never heard of Witch Hazel before and they have a whole section on
it.. Will need to check into that one..

All in all good for their overall stock, if even you need to do a little
extra searching to see what they look like.

Can see why you bring up the catalog.
Old 22-10-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:38:55 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

I've been pleased with trees from Stark Brothers.

http://www.starkbros.com/

Garden centers often carry Stark Bros. stcok as well.

Here is a review,
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/189/

Charlie

Seems like a pretty good place with an OK selection.. Even brighter is
their selection of grape vines, which I need to get more of..

Wonder if I can still safely plant new vines (zone 6) this time of year.
Old 22-10-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/22/07 10:29 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

I have one - it is a small shrub and has an interesting flowering habit.

Old 22-10-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

Why?

Beyond the point that I asked?

Well, never mind.. I'll just stick with that I'd like to know, and I'm
sure others may be interested in who people consider reputable merchants
online for plants.

But whatever.

Did it occur to you that nurseries specialize in different types of plants
and
online ones are no different? How can anyone give you advice when
you haven't told us what kind of plants you want?

But, whatever. I guess your going to have to figure that out yourself.

Ted

Old 22-10-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

Can see why you bring up the catalog.

I prefer to hve a catalog in my hands. Easier to browse in bed, or in
the...umm....library, yea, that's it! G I'll order online, but
give me printed material to get my order set.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 22-10-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Yes, actually it did.. Considering I'm not looking for anything specific
I really feel no need to narrow it down. New home, new yard, so in terms
of what "I" need it's wide open.

Thanks though, I will certainly enjoy figuring it out..

Old 22-10-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Oh Charlie..... starks is horrible. they graft stuff onto incompatible rootstocks
(well they did 20 years ago or so). I rate them with Gurneys.
Ingrid

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:15:25 -0500, Charlie wrote:
I've been pleased with trees from Stark Brothers.

http://www.starkbros.com/

Garden centers often carry Stark Bros. stcok as well.

Here is a review,
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/189/

Charlie

20 years is a long time for them to realize mistakes and correct them..

Glad you said something about Gurneys.. Was looking through their stock
just yesterday. Take it they're not great?
Old 22-10-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Ok, so inquiring minds want to know.

What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from.

If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each.

IE:
Trees at blah
Perennials at hurm
Bushes at wee

Looking forward to all your input on who you think is the best..

Forgot to mention that if you visit Fairweather gardens you may want to
stop at Centerton Inn for lunch. Circa 1705 it is about 10 miles away.

http://www.centertoninn.com/

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 22-10-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Email me in the spring for a care box. Cost of postage only...