Old 23-10-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Small tree - ideas what it is please?

Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was
a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed.
What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just ahead of
the leaves were thin stalks about 2-3 ins long. At the end of the
stalks were heart shaped pinky red covers that opened out to reveal
bright orange seeds, kidney shaped and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long.

Anybody know what this is? I shall be planting these seeds to see if I
can grow this in my garden....

Old 24-10-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Pete L" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was
a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed.
What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just ahead of
the leaves were thin stalks about 2-3 ins long. At the end of the
stalks were heart shaped pinky red covers that opened out to reveal
bright orange seeds, kidney shaped and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long.

Anybody know what this is? I shall be planting these seeds to see if I
can grow this in my garden....

Strawberry bush? Euonymus, if so.

Old 28-10-2007, 08:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Oct, 18:08, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from "D. Staples" contains these words:

"Pete L" wrote in message
roups.com...
Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was
a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed.
What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just ahead of
the leaves were thin stalks about 2-3 ins long. At the end of the
stalks were heart shaped pinky red covers that opened out to reveal
bright orange seeds, kidney shaped and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long.

Anybody know what this is? I shall be planting these seeds to see if I
can grow this in my garden....

Strawberry bush? Euonymus, if so.

No, fruits too small for strawberry bush. It's spindle tree.Euonymus
europaeus, heres a pic

http://www.beautifulbotany.com/STOCK...0europaeus.jpg

Janet

Thanks everybody. The pic Janet sent is exactly what it is. Next move
now is to plant these seeds and see what happens!

Old 24-10-2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 23, 11:35 am, Pete L wrote:
Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was
a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed.
What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just ahead of
the leaves were thin stalks about 2-3 ins long. At the end of the
stalks were heart shaped pinky red covers that opened out to reveal
bright orange seeds, kidney shaped and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long.

Anybody know what this is? I shall be planting these seeds to see if I
can grow this in my garden....

I don't know either, but I say one along our walking path in our
partially cleared woods. They are Bright Fuschia pods aren't they? and
the seeds are definitely Neon orange!! Ours is a scraggly bush, but
maybe with transplanting it could become an attractive shrub. I will
be looking it up on Google today. Will let you know what I find. Nan

Old 24-10-2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Nanzi expounded:

On Oct 23, 11:35 am, Pete L wrote:
Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was
a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed.
What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just ahead of
the leaves were thin stalks about 2-3 ins long. At the end of the
stalks were heart shaped pinky red covers that opened out to reveal
bright orange seeds, kidney shaped and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long.

Anybody know what this is? I shall be planting these seeds to see if I
can grow this in my garden....

I don't know either, but I say one along our walking path in our
partially cleared woods. They are Bright Fuschia pods aren't they? and
the seeds are definitely Neon orange!! Ours is a scraggly bush, but
maybe with transplanting it could become an attractive shrub. I will
be looking it up on Google today. Will let you know what I find. Nan

I wonder if this is a form of Euonymus? Eastern Burningbush, Euonymus
astropurpurens.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 25-10-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Ann expounded:

I wonder if this is a form of Euonymus? Eastern Burningbush, Euonymus
astropurpurens.

Sorry to respond twice, but I misspelled the name. Does this look
like the tree? Euonymus atropurpureus :
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioima...cies/euat3.htm
Old 24-10-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pete L wrote:
Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was
a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed.
What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just ahead of
the leaves were thin stalks about 2-3 ins long. At the end of the
stalks were heart shaped pinky red covers that opened out to reveal
bright orange seeds, kidney shaped and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long.

Anybody know what this is? I shall be planting these seeds to see if I
can grow this in my garden....

Your luck of getting an ID on it without a picture seems slim. See if
you can get a pic and post a link to it, or ask for an ID on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens with it attached as a post.