Old 09-04-2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Default Ideas for filtration on a small pond

I have finally got the nod to convert our little waterfall feature into
a small pond...it will be around 100 galls maybe a little more...depends
on how deep I can dig...and how far before hitting pipework...

We currently have a pump that takes the water from a small reservoir and
then feeds it back from the top as a waterfall - it is so many years
since we put it in I can't remember exactly what it is...but it was
always very efficient for the purpose...

My plan is for a few Shubunkin (2-4 max) and a lot of plants...I quite
like the idea of creating some sort of veggie filter at the top and am
very fond of eating watercress so that will probably be the chosen crop...

What I would like to know is if I need to add anything else in terms of
filtration....we can easily hide an external system and it is close to a
power outlet...

First of many questions, on this project, I'm sure

TIA
Gill
Old 09-04-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
[...]

==============
For an easy quick-to-make easy to clean filter you can wrap a Beckett pump
loosely in window screen and drop it into a 2g black flower pot. Fill pot
up with pea gravel, drop in pond, plug it in.... VOILA! :-)
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 09-04-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
2pods

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
I have finally got the nod to convert our little waterfall feature into a
small pond...it will be around 100 galls maybe a little more...depends on
how deep I can dig...and how far before hitting pipework...

We currently have a pump that takes the water from a small reservoir and
then feeds it back from the top as a waterfall - it is so many years since
we put it in I can't remember exactly what it is...but it was always very
efficient for the purpose...

My plan is for a few Shubunkin (2-4 max) and a lot of plants...I quite
like the idea of creating some sort of veggie filter at the top and am
very fond of eating watercress so that will probably be the chosen crop...

What I would like to know is if I need to add anything else in terms of

Hi Gill

I use a pressurised Hozelock Ecoclear 4500UV ( Titan 3000 pump and Bioforce
4500UV filter and UV) system on our three year old pond and it works a
treat.

An added bonus for me is that it's nearly the same as my tank's Rena XP, so
no new stuff to contend with.

I got mine online from Kettering Koi for about £149

Peter

Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
==============
For an easy quick-to-make easy to clean filter you can wrap a Beckett pump
loosely in window screen and drop it into a 2g black flower pot. Fill pot
up with pea gravel, drop in pond, plug it in.... VOILA! :-)

Why on earth would you suggest pea gravel? Might as well suggest lava
rock...It's got an incredibly poor surface area to mass ratio, difficult to
clean and you end up spilling the pea gravel in the pond anyways.

If you're going to buy window screen material to wrap the pump, buy a few
more yards and cram as much of it as you can into the pot. It's light,
fairly inexpensive and a breeze to clean. Just lay it out on the lawn or
sidewalk, and blast with a hose.

I won't comment on the suggestion of beckett pumps, since brand and pump
choice is a religious issue.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Snooze" wrote in message
m...
"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
==============
For an easy quick-to-make easy to clean filter you can wrap a Beckett
pump loosely in window screen and drop it into a 2g black flower pot.
Fill pot up with pea gravel, drop in pond, plug it in.... VOILA! :-)

Why on earth would you suggest pea gravel?

Because everyone can easily find it everywhere. The smaller the better.

Might as well suggest lava
rock...It's got an incredibly poor surface area to mass ratio, difficult
to clean and you end up spilling the pea gravel in the pond anyways.

Sorry but I haven't had any problems like that. I also use lavarock but
it's harder to clean as it clogs.

If you're going to buy window screen material to wrap the pump, buy a few
more yards and cram as much of it as you can into the pot.

That will also work. :-)

It's light,
fairly inexpensive and a breeze to clean. Just lay it out on the lawn or
sidewalk, and blast with a hose.

I've had the screen come up and not stay in the pots so have switched to
plain small pea gravel. The pea gravel's weight also keeps the filter pot
in place.

I won't comment on the suggestion of beckett pumps, since brand and pump
choice is a religious issue.

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 10-04-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Snooze" wrote in message
m...

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

==============
[...]

So if I understand correctly I could probably use the existing pump (if
it still works) and create my own cannister filter equivalent. The other
alternative is to go out and buy something which I may well have to do
if the old pump doesn't work. In which case I probably would go for
something like 2pods suggests and save myself the work.

I'm not sure what window screen material is but I'm guessing it is a
type of foam which would work great as a pre-filter. Then combine it
with pea gravel or similar for biological filtration...then finish up by
pumping it up to the veggie filter. Have I got the concept right?

I'm guessing that the bio-load of 3 shubunkin won't be excessive in a
pond of this size and that planting it up will help with things...

Thanks
Gill
Old 10-04-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

So if I understand correctly I could probably use the existing pump (if it
still works) and create my own cannister filter equivalent. The other
alternative is to go out and buy something which I may well have to do if
the old pump doesn't work. In which case I probably would go for something
like 2pods suggests and save myself the work.

I'm not sure what window screen material is but I'm guessing it is a type
of foam which would work great as a pre-filter. Then combine it with pea
gravel or similar for biological filtration...then finish up by pumping it
up to the veggie filter. Have I got the concept right?

Gill window screen material is the aluminum or vinyl mesh you put on windows
to prevent bugs from coming into the house. If you can't find it, any
similar mesh will work. sunshade material, and landscape fabric, carpet
buffing pads, green nylon scouring pads. You get the idea.

If you go to a janitorial or restaurant supply store, 10 and 20 packs of
nylon green scouring pads are really cheap.

Here is how I would build one.
1. From behind a restaurant or grocery store, take a milk crate.
2. Hardware store, sunshade fabric, peagravel, flat landscape stones, 8"
terracotta pot
3. Restaurant supply store, a few packs of scouring pads.
4. Turn milk crate upside down, line the sides with the sunshade fabric,
leaving enough to fold over the top. Put a layer of scouring pads down,
insert pump, fill the remaining space with as many scouring pads as you can,
or sunshade fabric, etc.
5. Insert into pond
6. Cover with a flat landscape stone.
7. Put some aquatic plant in the pot, fill pot with potting soil, moisten
soil, cover with 1" of pea gravel
8. Put pot on the flat stone covering the milk crate.
9. Put chair next to pond
10. relax and drink a lovely beverage.

9 and 10 are the most important steps.

-S

Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboy©

I use lava rocks

They are cheap enough to just throw away rather than clean

Snooze wrote:
==============

Old 10-04-2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

========
So if I understand correctly I could probably use the existing pump (if it
still works) and create my own cannister filter equivalent. The other
alternative is to go out and buy something which I may well have to do if
the old pump doesn't work. In which case I probably would go for something
like 2pods suggests and save myself the work.

I'm not sure what window screen material is

It's used to keep flies out of your home when windows are open. You may
have a different name for it in the UK.

but I'm guessing it is a
type of foam which would work great as a pre-filter. Then combine it with
pea gravel or similar for biological filtration...then finish up by
pumping it up to the veggie filter. Have I got the concept right?

It's just thin screen used to keep insects and bugs from coming in an open
window. It' keeps crud from getting into and clogging the guard, the
impeller and it's well (where it inserts). Or if the other kind, from
clogging the guard over the impeller. The gravel acts like a bio-filter.
No need to pump it into a plant filter. You can have a sprinkler or
fountain head on top of the outflow.

I'm guessing that the bio-load of 3 shubunkin won't be excessive in a pond
of this size and that planting it up will help with things...

And the good bacteria grow on the liner and plants as well as in the filter.
Three GF are a small load in a 100g pool/pond.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"CanadianCowboy©" wrote in message
I use lava rocks

They are cheap enough to just throw away rather than clean

=====================
They're also good to help loosen a heavy clay soil. The pond crud they're
clogged with is a good fertilizer.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
rec.pond's FAQ are at:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 10-04-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

My plan is for a few Shubunkin (2-4 max) and a lot of
plants...I quite like the idea of creating some sort of
veggie filter at the top and am very fond of eating
watercress so that will probably be the chosen crop...

Great! Tell us more about your pond. Do you plan to create a
summer pond (like mine) or a pond to overwinter your fish?

What I would like to know is if I need to add anything
else in terms of filtration....we can easily hide an
external system and it is close to a power outlet...

Is a veggie filter a plant root filter? Those filters do
work fine! Personally I would check out that kind of filter
Koi-lo introduced!

First of many questions, on this project, I'm sure

:-)

--
cu
Marco
Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

My plan is for a few Shubunkin (2-4 max) and a lot of
plants...I quite like the idea of creating some sort of
veggie filter at the top and am very fond of eating
watercress so that will probably be the chosen crop...

Great! Tell us more about your pond. Do you plan to create a
summer pond (like mine) or a pond to overwinter your fish?

What I would like to know is if I need to add anything
else in terms of filtration....we can easily hide an
external system and it is close to a power outlet...

Is a veggie filter a plant root filter? Those filters do
work fine! Personally I would check out that kind of filter
Koi-lo introduced!

First of many questions, on this project, I'm sure

:-)

The plan is that it will be an all year round pond so I need to get deep
enough so the fish have somewhere to go if it gets real cold....I have
little capacity indoors due to 8 tanks of tropicals to overwinter the
outdoor fish....

A veggie filter is one where, if I understand correctly, you pump the
water into a reservoir packed with plants that take out and feed on the
crud....

Gill
Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
A veggie filter is one where, if I understand correctly, you pump the
water into a reservoir packed with plants that take out and feed on the
crud....

=================
Yes. I have one on my 2000g pond and it works well. It's a combination
veggie filter and settling tank. I just let out about 25 gallons of sludge
before getting online. I added some Pickerel weed but it still needs more.
I also have parrots feather in it as it's graceful and hides the sides of
the tank. I have a large pump that does both the filter and the
settling-veggie tank.
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi

Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Just another idea, and not sure it will work for your situation but on my
website click on *My Filter* scroll down and you'll see several "flower
pot" filters, this gets the filter out of the pond, so easier to clean, and
all the muck doesn't go back into the pond when you lift it out.
www.jjspond.us

Pump would still be in the pond but you encase it in empty mesh baskets,
similar to this: http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/set1/09.jpg
~ jan

-----------------
Old 11-04-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

The plan is that it will be an all year round pond so I
need to get deep enough so the fish have somewhere to go
if it gets real cold....I have little capacity indoors due
to 8 tanks of tropicals to overwinter the outdoor fish....

Understand.

A veggie filter is one where, if I understand correctly,
you pump the water into a reservoir packed with plants
that take out and feed on the crud....

Okay, thanks.

--
cu