Old 26-10-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping Charlie and Billy

UN Expert Seeks to Halt Biofuel Output
By EDITH M. LEDERER Associated Press Writer

Oct 26th, 2007 | UNITED NATIONS -- A U.N. expert on Friday called the
growing practice of converting food crops into biofuel "a crime against
humanity," saying it is creating food shortages and price jumps that
cause millions of poor people to go hungry.

Jean Ziegler, who has been the United Nations' independent expert on the
right to food since the position was established in 2000, called for a
five-year moratorium on biofuel production to halt what he called a
growing "catastrophe" for the poor.

Scientific research is progressing very quickly, he said, "and in five
years it will be possible to make biofuel and biodiesel from
agricultural waste" rather than wheat, corn, sugar cane and other food
crops.

Using biofuel instead of gasoline in cars is generally considered to cut
carbon dioxide emissions, which contribute to global warming ‹ although
some scientists say greenhouse gases released during the production of
biofuel could offset those gains.

The use of crops for biofuel has being pursued especially in Brazil and
the United States.

Last March, President Bush and Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da
Silva signed an agreement committing their countries to boosting ethanol
production. They said increasing use of alternative fuels would lead to
more jobs, a cleaner environment and greater independence from the whims
of the oil market.

Ziegler called their motives legitimate, but said that "the effect of
transforming hundreds and hundreds of thousands of tons of maize, of
wheat, of beans, of palm oil, into agricultural fuel is absolutely
catastrophic for the hungry people."

The world price of wheat doubled in one year and the price of corn
quadrupled, leaving poor countries, especially in Africa, unable to pay
for the imported food needed to feed their people, he said. And poor
people in those countries are unable to pay the soaring prices for the
food that does come in, he added.

"So it's a crime against humanity" to devote agricultural land to
biofuel production, Ziegler said a news conference. "What has to be
stopped is ... the growing catastrophe of the massacre (by) hunger in
the world," he said.

As an example, he said, it takes 510 pounds of corn to produce 13
gallons of ethanol. That much corn could feed a child in Zambia or
Mexico for a year, he said.

Ziegler, a sociology professor at the University of Geneva and the
University of the Sorbonne in Paris, presented a report Thursday to the
U.N. General Assembly's human rights committee saying a five-year
moratorium on biofuel production would allow time for new technologies
for using agricultural byproducts instead of food itself.

Researchers are looking at crop residues such as corn cobs, rice husks
and banana leaves, he said. "The cultivation of Jatropha Curcas, a shrub
that produces large oil-bearing seeds, appears to offer a good solution
as it can be grown in arid lands that are not normally suitable for food
crops," he said.

Salon provides breaking news articles from the Associated Press as a
service to its readers, but does not edit the AP articles it publishes.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I'm not making a cent on this.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

"The destiny of nations depends on how we feed ourselves."
Brillat-Savarin

Old 27-10-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

"So it's a crime against humanity" to devote agricultural land to
biofuel production, Ziegler said a news conference. "What has to be
stopped is ... the growing catastrophe of the massacre (by) hunger in
the world," he said.

As an example, he said, it takes 510 pounds of corn to produce 13
gallons of ethanol. That much corn could feed a child in Zambia or
Mexico for a year, he said.

Thanks for the heads up Bill. The problem though is that even before our
War Crimes Poster boy of a unelected president got into office, another
administration (Clinton who sold arms to Indonesia for use in East
Timor) that that sanctions against Iraq that caused the deaths of
500,000 children under 5 years of age were acceptable.

With "War Crimes" candidate Bush, the more blood that flows the better
(more war, more profits). We are already arming both the Shia and the
Sunni militias, who are both trying to kill each other and Americans.
This is essentially the same thing that Kermit Roosevelt did in Iran to
depose Mohammad Mosaddeq and install the Shah.

Let me also remind you of Operation Northwoods ( You can go to
http://www.attackonamerica.net/operationnorthwoods.htm for a summary or
just Google it.

Walt Disney is dead everybody. That America never existed.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 27-10-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:
*snip*

While you're "pinging" them, hope you don't mind if I play off it...

Charlie,
I was wondering if you have read anything from RM Barry/Melaleuca &, if
so, what your thoughts are on them?
Sounds like some stuff straight up your alley...
~Rae
Old 27-10-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:04:31 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

Charlie,
I was wondering if you have read anything from RM Barry/Melaleuca &, if
so, what your thoughts are on them?
Sounds like some stuff straight up your alley...
~Rae

Hey girl, glad to see you are no longer being forced to be "impure",
using the google! ;-)

Haha....very funny!

And really thankful you are getting the rain.

ME TOO!!

Now, Melaleuca, tea tree oil (Ti tree) is a good agent for its
antimicrobial activity. Works on a number of skin problems, etc.
I don't know which varieties of maleleuca are utilized in Barry's
products.

I use tea tree oil sometimes for bug bites, skin irritations and fungal
issues and am satisfied with it efficacy. Smells like kerosene, but it
covers the garlic smell. ;-)

Not sure what your interest is.......in the products or as an associate
involved in sales/marketing/whatever they are calling it. An
acquaintence of mine, many years ago, tried to interest me in the
melaleuca thing, but having been involved with the whole shaklee MLM
thing years before that, and attempts at folks getting me involved in
amway, I passed.

As far as Richard Barry's organization, and this is not a judgement
upon Richard, or his work, I do not trust MLMs. I don't recommend
anyone become involved with them, whether it be shaklee, amway,
melaleuca or whatever. If you want to succeed with many MLM schemes,
you may be put in a position of sacrificing your soul, so to speak, in
order to be a team player, and as you may have noticed, I am not much
of a team player.

And..... you may lose some money. Or you may make some money.

I other words, I ain't got much for you on this, my dear.

http://www.answers.com/topic/melaleuca-inc?cat=biz-fin

http://www.rmbarry.com/books/melaleuca_guide.html

http://www.rmbarry.com/

Care
Charlie

A friend is trying to get me to set up an account. I have been using
some of the products on and off over the course of a couple of years.
The main thing I was trying to ask about was the books that they have
written on "stop poisoning my children"...
haven't read these myself...just come across them in a web search earlier.

I don't go for MLMs either!
Old 27-10-2007, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
William Wagner wrote:
*snip*

While you're "pinging" them, hope you don't mind if I play off it...

Charlie,
I was wondering if you have read anything from RM Barry/Melaleuca &, if
so, what your thoughts are on them?
Sounds like some stuff straight up your alley...
~Rae

I'm not sure if this is relevant

A female friend of mine used to have huge problems with thrush (candidiasis)
and swears by teatree oil as the safe and effective cure. Never tried it
myself.

David

Old 27-10-2007, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:

On a gardening note: I picked another batch of green beans today.
This is the end of October!!!!!! You do *not* pick green beans in the
far north of missouri on the 26th of october! We're all having to
learn new things these days!

Man that must be nice!! you don't pick green beans around here in
October either...especially in a drought. I've already had to put a dent
in the ones that I canned this summer! Weird weather, huh?

bless ya' girl, and keep at it
Charlie

Yeah, you too!
Off to bed now, it's past my bedtime!
~Rae
Old 27-10-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:30:25 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

I'm not sure if this is relevant

A female friend of mine used to have huge problems with thrush

(candidiasis)
and swears by teatree oil as the safe and effective cure. Never tried it
myself.

David

Hmmm.......garlic also has strong antibacterial and antifungal
properties......scroll down to garlic on the following page for method
of use.

http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk...rushtreat.html

Odor *may* be a bit of a problem, they say.

Charlie, The Garlic Advocate ;-)

De gustibus non est disputandum

David

[IMG] code is On

Charlie & Billy - Cider success George[_14_] Gardening 1 23-12-2009 04:31 PM
Ping Billy FarmI Edible Gardening 3 24-08-2008 05:34 AM
FAO Billy & Charlie enigma Gardening 16 06-04-2008 10:05 PM
Ping Billy The Water cure 1902 Bill[_13_] Gardening 16 24-02-2008 06:54 PM