Old 30-10-2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bringing in tomato plants

I have. here, read casual references to "bringing in tomato plants".
This year, I have a zillion volunteer tomato plants, mostly the cherry
varieties. Can I bring any of them indoors, treat them like sun-
loving house plants and expect any of them to bear useful fruit?

cheers

oz, down with a nasty cold

Old 31-10-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

"MajorOz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have. here, read casual references to "bringing in tomato plants".
This year, I have a zillion volunteer tomato plants, mostly the cherry
varieties. Can I bring any of them indoors, treat them like sun-
loving house plants and expect any of them to bear useful fruit?

cheers

oz, down with a nasty cold

How huge are your windows, and which way do they face? Tomatoes want full
sun, and unless you have a very fortunate window arrangement, you'll need to
augment the natural light with plant lights. Probably 1000-2000 watts would
suffice.

That will cost more than a packet of seeds.

Old 31-10-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 30, 9:44 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"MajorOz" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have. here, read casual references to "bringing in tomato plants".
This year, I have a zillion volunteer tomato plants, mostly the cherry
varieties. Can I bring any of them indoors, treat them like sun-
loving house plants and expect any of them to bear useful fruit?

cheers

oz, down with a nasty cold

How huge are your windows, and which way do they face? Tomatoes want full
sun, and unless you have a very fortunate window arrangement, you'll need to
augment the natural light with plant lights. Probably 1000-2000 watts would
suffice.

That will cost more than a packet of seeds.

If light is the only critical element, I think it will work. They
would be in a large window facing due south of a room with white walls
and large mirrors -- light bouncing all over the place. It is a guest
bathroom.

Thank you

cheers

oz

Old 31-10-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MajorOz" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 30, 9:44 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"MajorOz" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

It'll cost you nothing to try. But, see jangclub's response. Fruit? Forget
it. Living plants, probably, but not happy ones.