Old 15-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Bas Bas is offline
Registered User

Default Which ornamental tree ??

I only have a small garden (50ft x 25ft),but would like to plant some kind of ornamentle tree within the lawn boudaries.

I dont want anything over about 6/7ft tall,and would prefer it to have a spread of no more than about 5ft.

Hope some of you can come up with some suggestions.

Thanks.
Bas.

BTW. I live in South/East England.
Old 15-11-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bas wrote:
I only have a small garden (50ft x 25ft),but would like to plant some
kind of ornamentle tree within the lawn boudaries.

I dont want anything over about 6/7ft tall,and would prefer it to have
a spread of no more than about 5ft.

Hope some of you can come up with some suggestions.

Thanks.
Bas.

BTW. I live in South/East England.

How would Japanese Maple do in your area?
Old 15-11-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bas" wrote in message

I only have a small garden (50ft x 25ft),but would like to plant some
kind of ornamentle tree within the lawn boudaries.

I dont want anything over about 6/7ft tall,and would prefer it to have
a spread of no more than about 5ft.

Hope some of you can come up with some suggestions.

Thanks.
Bas.

BTW. I live in South/East England.

There are some trees that will remain that small, and others can advise
about those. However, I'll mention an idea pointed out by the late Henry
Mitchell, a garden writer who worked in a small space. He said that very
often, when you think you want a small tree, what you really want is a
shrub. The small tree may end up wanting to become the size of a one car
garage.

Just a thought...

Old 15-11-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 15, 6:17�am, Bas wrote:
I only have a small garden (50ft x 25ft),but would like to plant some
kind of ornamentle tree within the lawn boudaries.

I dont want anything over about 6/7ft tall,and would prefer it to have
a spread of no more than about 5ft.

Hope some of you can come up with some suggestions.

Forest Pansy Redbud

http://treegrowersdiary.com/forestpansyredbud.html

Old 16-11-2007, 10:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bas said:

I only have a small garden (50ft x 25ft),but would like to plant some
kind of ornamentle tree within the lawn boudaries.

I dont want anything over about 6/7ft tall,and would prefer it to have
a spread of no more than about 5ft.

Hope some of you can come up with some suggestions.

That's pretty small. But I would also suggest some variety of
Japanese maple. Perhaps a weeping form with finely cut leaves.
The leaves of mine have turned an absolutely brilliant scarlet this fall.

Japanese maples add tremendous character to any garden.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 16-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Bas Bas is offline
Registered User

Thanks for all the ideas people.

It is much appreciated.

Old 19-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Bas Bas is offline
Registered User

I like the look of that Dr Solo.

Thanks.
Old 19-11-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bas wrote:
;760398 Wrote:

I have ahttp://tinyurl.com/ys2omo
kousa. �will peak out at 15 feet or so, but wonderful year round..
Ingrid

I like the look of that Dr Solo.

A tree that close to a building... too close for any plant.

[IMG] code is On

Ornamental Banana Tree Question. Ralph D. Gardening 0 26-05-2006 04:53 PM
ornamental Pear tree Linda Gardening 2 20-04-2005 03:28 AM
destructiveness of ornamental tree Mike Gardening 2 30-06-2004 03:08 PM
Ornamental Crabapple Tree Pruning Jim Schott Gardening 2 13-04-2004 03:02 AM
Looking for ornamental tree- help in ID The Popovics Gardening 4 16-07-2003 06:13 PM