Old 22-11-2007, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Happy Thanksgiving

I hope that you all, even in the shadow of evil, have a happy
Thanksgiving. As long as you are on the right side of the grass, you
have something to be happy about.

My condolences to native Americans. We really made a genocidal mess of
things.

Thought for the day. If uncontrolled immigration got us to where we are
today, where might it lead us tomorrow?

Still eating lemon cucumbers and Stupice tomatoes from the garden and
Blackwater isn't patrolling the streets, yet.

Giving thanks. A la table. Zum Tisch.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 22-11-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I hope that you all, even in the shadow of evil, have a happy
Thanksgiving. As long as you are on the right side of the grass, you
have something to be happy about.

You sound depressed.

HUGS!!!

My condolences to native Americans. We really made a genocidal mess of
things.

Such is life.
If they had had the brains to unite early on instead of indulging in
tribal warfare, we'd all be speaking Native American now.

The Sunni's and Shiites are not going to learn from history either.

Thought for the day. If uncontrolled immigration got us to where we are
today, where might it lead us tomorrow?

Oh hush. ;-)
I've been trying to make myself learn Tex-mex for years!
Berlitz sux.

Still eating lemon cucumbers and Stupice tomatoes from the garden and
Blackwater isn't patrolling the streets, yet.

We'll be feasting tomorrow. My Brother in law was too stubborn to ask me
how to quick thaw a turkey and screwed it up. It spoiled and the
replacement bird is still frozen. g

Sh** happens, but he'll never make THAT mistake again! ;-D

I'm having some of the Orange Cranberry relish I made on a Hamburger
patty instead, as soon as I digest these bacon/egg/cheese breakfast
tacos I bought down the street from the only Taqueria in town that was
open...

I also took advantage of this glorious cold front and did some more
digging work on the garden bed out in the front yard. I finally got up
that bucket of Concrete I had buried for the flagpole that I put up in
2001...

The concrete in the top of the bucket still has the etching "09/11/2001"
in it.

sigh

Giving thanks. A la table. Zum Tisch.

I'm just giving thanks for a decent career that provides a warm roof
over my head and clean running water. One can always buy another turkey
for $.67 per lb.!

Unless you are living on minimum wage and had too many kids. :-(
I'll do my charity work after this weekend...
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 22-11-2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Omelet wrote:

I hope that you all, even in the shadow of evil, have a happy
Thanksgiving. As long as you are on the right side of the grass, you
have something to be happy about.

"The right side of the grass" has different means depending on whether
you're a worm or not.
Old 22-11-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
doofy wrote:

I hope that you all, even in the shadow of evil, have a happy
Thanksgiving. As long as you are on the right side of the grass, you
have something to be happy about.

"The right side of the grass" has different means depending on whether
you're a worm or not.

Hey dude! Watch your attributions/snippage please. ;-)

I did not post that tidbit.

Old 22-11-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I hope that you all, even in the shadow of evil, have a happy
Thanksgiving. As long as you are on the right side of the grass, you
have something to be happy about.

You sound depressed.

HUGS!!!

Hugs always welcome;-) Morning paper full of advertising inserts. Some
stores are opening at mid-night and the local Wally Worlds will open at
5 AM to kick-off the budget bustin', season of consumption.

Not to worry about me, the most dangerous thing around me today will be
the stuffing, mash potatoes, and gravy.

My condolences to native Americans. We really made a genocidal mess of
things.

Such is life.
If they had had the brains to unite early on instead of indulging in
tribal warfare, we'd all be speaking Native American now.

I'd enjoy a discussion 'round a fireplace, with some single malt, that
went into European diseases and technology, circa 1500 AD. The Iroquois,
at least, seemed to have a socially more advance culture than the
Europeans of their epoch. If you get a chance "Guns, Germs, and Steel"
by Jared M. Diamond, is a real page turner on the subject.

The Sunni's and Shiites are not going to learn from history either.

But then, when the British and the French divided up the Ottoman Empire,
they made sure that each new state would be a house dividedagainst it's
self. If they somehow managed to united, then we would send in a Kermit
Roosevelt.

Thought for the day. If uncontrolled immigration got us to where we are
today, where might it lead us tomorrow?

Oh hush. ;-)
I've been trying to make myself learn Tex-mex for years!

Tex-mex? You mean like "felixnavidad" (my cat likes to sail)?

Berlitz sux.

Still eating lemon cucumbers and Stupice tomatoes from the garden and
Blackwater isn't patrolling the streets, yet.

We'll be feasting tomorrow. My Brother in law was too stubborn to ask me
how to quick thaw a turkey and screwed it up. It spoiled and the
replacement bird is still frozen. g

Ah, the joys of family life;-)

Sh** happens, but he'll never make THAT mistake again! ;-D

I'm having some of the Orange Cranberry relish I made on a Hamburger
patty instead, as soon as I digest these bacon/egg/cheese breakfast
tacos I bought down the street from the only Taqueria in town that was
open...

I also took advantage of this glorious cold front and did some more
digging work on the garden bed out in the front yard. I finally got up
that bucket of Concrete I had buried for the flagpole that I put up in
2001...

The concrete in the top of the bucket still has the etching "09/11/2001"
in it.

sigh

Sunny and chilly here in northern California as well.

Giving thanks. A la table. Zum Tisch.

I'm just giving thanks for a decent career that provides a warm roof
over my head and clean running water.

Considering that at least a third of the world lives on less than $2/day
(the reasons for which can be discussed over the above single malt), I'd
say you are an unqualified success:-)

Me, I'm giving thanks for a full belly and four days off-work to play it
off.

One can always buy another turkey for $.67 per lb.!

Unless you are living on minimum wage and had too many kids. :-(
I'll do my charity work after this weekend...

Good on you (as St. Molly used to say):-)

I think Doofy meant to say "the wrong end of the grass" and not, as I
said, "the right side of the grass", but that dicotyledon stuff can be
very confusing. He must have a ferocious appetite by now;-)

All the best to you and yours.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 22-11-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

You sound depressed.

HUGS!!!

Hugs always welcome;-) Morning paper full of advertising inserts. Some
stores are opening at mid-night and the local Wally Worlds will open at
5 AM to kick-off the budget bustin', season of consumption.

Not to worry about me, the most dangerous thing around me today will be
the stuffing, mash potatoes, and gravy.

lol We shall be feasting tomorrow.

You want a REAL downer, subscribe to one of the many "freecycle" lists
on Yahoogroups.com

I just made a major commitment for volunteer time due to that. The
re-distribution of discard linens from where I work. I've done it in the
past, just need to do it more. :-)

Less stuff for the landfill too. I have no idea why they never asked me
again after the first 3 truckloads a few years ago. Probably did not
want to Impose on me. My fault I did not follow up on that or I could
have been doing it all this time. There were other "issues" at the time
with a new boss and rotating shifts.

So many needy, so little time and money...

My condolences to native Americans. We really made a genocidal mess of
things.

Such is life.
If they had had the brains to unite early on instead of indulging in
tribal warfare, we'd all be speaking Native American now.

I'd enjoy a discussion 'round a fireplace, with some single malt, that
went into European diseases and technology, circa 1500 AD. The Iroquois,
at least, seemed to have a socially more advance culture than the
Europeans of their epoch. If you get a chance "Guns, Germs, and Steel"
by Jared M. Diamond, is a real page turner on the subject.

I'm sure it'd be delightfully educational! I was never interested in
history as a teen. Not sure if it was due to the undiagnosed
Hypothyrodism, but now at age 45, I've developed somewhat of a passion
for it.

The Sunni's and Shiites are not going to learn from history either.

But then, when the British and the French divided up the Ottoman Empire,
they made sure that each new state would be a house dividedagainst it's
self. If they somehow managed to united, then we would send in a Kermit
Roosevelt.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

Thought for the day. If uncontrolled immigration got us to where we are
today, where might it lead us tomorrow?

Oh hush. ;-)
I've been trying to make myself learn Tex-mex for years!

Tex-mex? You mean like "felixnavidad" (my cat likes to sail)?

lol

Mexican dialects can be every bit as bad as Aussie slang vs. American
slang speaking "English"! Working with a lot of Tex-mex hispanics and
their kids taking formal "Spanish" in school has been enlightening.

To both of us.

Berlitz sux.

Still eating lemon cucumbers and Stupice tomatoes from the garden and
Blackwater isn't patrolling the streets, yet.

We'll be feasting tomorrow. My Brother in law was too stubborn to ask me
how to quick thaw a turkey and screwed it up. It spoiled and the
replacement bird is still frozen. g

Ah, the joys of family life;-)

ROFL! Indeed! Makes for great future stories tho'!
That's the beauty of it.

Sh** happens, but he'll never make THAT mistake again! ;-D

I'm having some of the Orange Cranberry relish I made on a Hamburger
patty instead, as soon as I digest these bacon/egg/cheese breakfast
tacos I bought down the street from the only Taqueria in town that was
open...

I also took advantage of this glorious cold front and did some more
digging work on the garden bed out in the front yard. I finally got up
that bucket of Concrete I had buried for the flagpole that I put up in
2001...

The concrete in the top of the bucket still has the etching "09/11/2001"
in it.

sigh

Sunny and chilly here in northern California as well.

I like it. :-)
And, that tidbit helped to keep it on topic. I can now remove the excess
Confederate jasmine and lay down the new cloth weed barrier.

That stuff is a bitch to control once it gets established.

Giving thanks. A la table. Zum Tisch.

I'm just giving thanks for a decent career that provides a warm roof
over my head and clean running water.

Considering that at least a third of the world lives on less than $2/day
(the reasons for which can be discussed over the above single malt), I'd
say you are an unqualified success:-)

Heh! No kidding!
There are still people even LOCALLY living under freeway bridges, and in
dirt floored shacks.

Me, I'm giving thanks for a full belly and four days off-work to play it
off.

grins Gloat why dontcha.
I work in health care. There are no days off. ;-)
C'est la' vie!

But, no complaints. This week is back at work after 2 weeks off. After
working at one hospital for 20 years, the annual vacation time
accumulates.

One can always buy another turkey for $.67 per lb.!

Unless you are living on minimum wage and had too many kids. :-(
I'll do my charity work after this weekend...

Good on you (as St. Molly used to say):-)

Just volunteered for more. Winter cometh and the "wanted" posts are
coming thick and fast on Hillcountryfreecycle. I have time and a pickup
truck. g

Plus I dislike the waste. Our only local thrift store cleans out excess
inventory by tossing it in their parking lot dumpster. Clothing, shoes,
toys... you name it. I should raid it more! And give it away. Gods knows
_I_ don't need it! I have two storage sheds of crap I need to
"freecycle"!

To hell with garage sales. They are not really worth the effort.

Fortunately, the store does not give a rats ass if people raid said
dumpster.

I think Doofy meant to say "the wrong end of the grass" and not, as I
said, "the right side of the grass", but that dicotyledon stuff can be
very confusing. He must have a ferocious appetite by now;-)

Whatever works. G
I'm sharing my ground beef with Persephone:

http://i13.tinypic.com/3zrkf0g.jpg

All the best to you and yours.

Peace babe. :-)

Old 22-11-2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible, rec.gardens

On Nov 22, 11:00 am, Billy wrote:

snip

I'd enjoy a discussion 'round a fireplace, with some single malt, that
went into European diseases and technology, circa 1500 AD. The Iroquois,
at least, seemed to have a socially more advance culture than the
Europeans of their epoch. If you get a chance "Guns, Germs, and Steel"
by Jared M. Diamond, is a real page turner on the subject.

Good book; most of his are. Diamond is good at the "big picture" even
when some of the details are dated.

Since you seem to be open to the "new understanding" of the American
past, you might enjoy "1491" by Charles Mann.

Hope your Thanksgiving is a happy one.

Old 22-11-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Omelet wrote:

Mexican dialects can be every bit as bad as Aussie slang vs. American
slang speaking "English"! Working with a lot of Tex-mex hispanics and
their kids taking formal "Spanish" in school has been enlightening.

Funniest interchange I ever heard at a 7-11 was between a Mexican trying
to tell an Afghani what cigarettes he wanted.

"Maaboalice"
"I'm sorry"
"Maaboalice"
"Uh"
Pointing, "Maaboalice"

Marlboro Lights was what I was able to figure out.

East College Ave. in Santa Rosa.
Old 22-11-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Mexican dialects can be every bit as bad as Aussie slang vs. American
slang speaking "English"! Working with a lot of Tex-mex hispanics and
their kids taking formal "Spanish" in school has been enlightening.

Funniest interchange I ever heard at a 7-11 was between a Mexican trying
to tell an Afghani what cigarettes he wanted.

"Maaboalice"
"I'm sorry"
"Maaboalice"
"Uh"
Pointing, "Maaboalice"

Marlboro Lights was what I was able to figure out.

East College Ave. in Santa Rosa.

lol That is funny. :-)

The funniest thing that ever happened to me was being put down by a
Brit' when I was in college.

I made a (not derogatory) comment about his accent, trying to see if he
was from England or Australia. He had a strong Cockney accent.

He told me that _I_ was the one with the accent.

He spoke English. g

Old 22-11-2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Heh! No kidding!
There are still people even LOCALLY living under freeway bridges, and in
dirt floored shacks.

The bridges here have had waiting lists for at least the last fifteen
years.

Rotating shifts in a health facility? Rotating shifts, as I'm sure your
aware, are bad for your health.

Good luck on the BiL's turkey.

Peace, right back at ya.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 22-11-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Less stuff for the landfill too. I have no idea why they never asked me
again after the first 3 truckloads a few years ago. Probably did not
want to Impose on me. My fault I did not follow up on that or I could
have been doing it all this time. There were other "issues" at the time
with a new boss and rotating shifts.

I'm curious. Why are the linens thrown away? Where are they from that they
can't be washed and reused?

Old 23-11-2007, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Heh! No kidding!
There are still people even LOCALLY living under freeway bridges, and in
dirt floored shacks.

The bridges here have had waiting lists for at least the last fifteen
years.

:-(

Rotating shifts in a health facility? Rotating shifts, as I'm sure your
aware, are bad for your health.

That boss lasted 3 years before they fired his sorry ass.
Rotating shifts destroy people both physically and mentally.

Good luck on the BiL's turkey.

lol Thanks! I just hope he does not over-cook it.
That's the biggest mistake most people make with those birds.

Peace, right back at ya.

And soon to be...
Merry Yule!

Old 23-11-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Less stuff for the landfill too. I have no idea why they never asked me
again after the first 3 truckloads a few years ago. Probably did not
want to Impose on me. My fault I did not follow up on that or I could
have been doing it all this time. There were other "issues" at the time
with a new boss and rotating shifts.

I'm curious. Why are the linens thrown away? Where are they from that they
can't be washed and reused?

They are beginning to wear out or have minor faults, or are not
"facility" linens (they come in with patients from nursing homes or EMS
units), small stains, etc.

I think that they also have expiration dates believe it or not. g

I have 2 of the most lovely kitchen timers that came from the lab
because their calibration dates expired and they were cheaper to replace
than to have officially calibrated.

The laundry tech I spoke with today said that they have a LOT of EMS
blankets that then need to dump, and winter cometh! I KNOW I can give
those away!

Most linen discards do actually find new "homes". It's just a matter of
someone wanting to take the time and trouble. I distributed those three
pickup truck loads to veterinarians, wildlife rescue, the local animal
shelter, and (since we did re-sort them), the local youth and women's
shelter. Some are in better shape than others.

They never gave them to me "dirty", they were always washed/cleaned too!

Lots of waste in industry in general and Health Care is no exception.
Some of those linens are even going to Mexico and Honduras...

Old 23-11-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:38:15 -0800, doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Mexican dialects can be every bit as bad as Aussie slang vs. American
slang speaking "English"! Working with a lot of Tex-mex hispanics and
their kids taking formal "Spanish" in school has been enlightening.

Funniest interchange I ever heard at a 7-11 was between a Mexican trying
to tell an Afghani what cigarettes he wanted.

"Maaboalice"
"I'm sorry"
"Maaboalice"
"Uh"
Pointing, "Maaboalice"

Marlboro Lights was what I was able to figure out.

East College Ave. in Santa Rosa.

Asking waiter at a chinese restaurant what beer they had:
"Mirror. Mirror Rite."

[IMG] code is On

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! george Ponds 3 26-11-2004 09:49 PM
Another Happy Thanksgiving george Ponds 0 25-11-2004 11:50 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Theo Bonsai 0 27-11-2003 06:03 PM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM