Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 AM
FrankS

Default Heated pond

I live in North Dakota and for the last week or so the temperature has been
VERY cold. The night time temps have been as low as -28 degrees F for
several nights with the daytime high temps staying below minus 10 degrees
for about a week now. This is cold even for us natives.

I have a small pond, about 300 gallons, stocked with gold fish, a comet, koi
and shibunkin(sp?) and maybe a crayfish or two. The pond was nearly covered
with snow and frost that I was sure the fish would be crispy critters by now
but this afternoon I braved the cold and went out to check on them. I was
surprised and, to say the least, pleased that everyone seemed to be in as
good as spirits as possible under the circumstances. I use a 1200 watt
floating stock tank heater and a bubbler pump but I wasn't sure if the
heater could keep up with the constant cold temps. This, to me, is proof of
the hardiness of pond fish and the value of a $30 heater. My real problem
is evaporation, the cold air is very dry and the comparative warm water
makes for rapid evaporation so I'm the only guy in the neighborhood with a
garden hose stretched out in the back yard all winter.

Anyone have a similar experiences?

Frank

Old 02-02-2004, 03:12 PM
KK

In article ,
"FrankS" wrote:

[...]

I'm doing the same thing in Minnesota - added water yesterday. This is
the second winter that I've used a tank heater - really boosts the
electric bill - but easier than setting up tanks in the basement.
The fish were swimming around and lookin good yesterday.
Karen
Old 02-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Tom La Bron

FrankS,

I don't have your extreme lower temps but I off and on suffer your dry
winter air. When the temps get high enough for me to run water through the
hose I turn it on to top off the pond, although recently we have been
fortunate to be getting some nice rain showers that have filled the ponds,
especially, after the last couple of days that put a layer of ice on the
ponds.

Tom L.L.
---------------------------------------

Old 02-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Hal

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:43:02 -0600, KK wrote:

I'm doing the same thing in Minnesota - added water yesterday. This is
the second winter that I've used a tank heater - really boosts the
electric bill - but easier than setting up tanks in the basement.
The fish were swimming around and lookin good yesterday.
Karen

Someone posted a message about raising the water level before the freeze
and melting a hole in the ice and pumping a couple inches of water out
from under the ice. The sheet of ice above the water insulates the
water underneath and saves on the electric bill as well as keeping the
fish alive.

Regards,

Hal

Old 02-02-2004, 09:45 PM

I use a 500 watt aquarium heater in a 1600 gallon 4' deep pond but I have the pond
covered to prevent water loss. this is essential for keeping the heat in as well and
preventing the loss of too much water.
on 1-16 the water temp was 50oF and was the last day I fed them. then came the cold
snap and the pond temp dropped to 40o where it is now. I am in zone 5, Milwaukee.
but just covering the pond with plastic over arched pvc or a wood lean to you can
really keep the water open all winter no problem with a little heater and a pump.
I am heating my pond so my fish dont go "dormant" for so long each year. last year
the temp was below 50o for 6 months. I am hoping to cut down the "down time" to 2
months using this 500 watt heater. It is only like having 5 - 100 watt light bulbs
on all the time. I also hope to stop swinging temps that bring on ich. so far, so
good. temps have not fallen below 40o. Ingrid

"FrankS" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:16 PM
GrannyGrump

Someone posted a message about raising the water level before the freeze
and melting a hole in the ice and pumping a couple inches of water out
from under the ice. The sheet of ice above the water insulates the
water underneath and saves on the electric bill as well as keeping the
fish alive.

This would accomplish the gaseous exchange, until there was no more
oxygen in the air between the water and the ice....

Old 03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Gale Pearce

Rather than a stock tank heater (1200 - 1500 watts), K & H manufacturing in
the US has a 100 watt heater they say they tested in Minnesota that works on
the power of a 100 watt light bulb, ~ twice the price of the higher powered
ones, but should pay the difference in a month or so - link below
Gale :~)

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.....asp?E+scstore

: