Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Black dot on the bottom of my tomato.

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some really impressive growth on my tomato
plants over the last month.
All of them have big tomatoes growing, particularly the beefsteak
ones, almost as big as my palm, and seemingly growing daily.

My one concern is as follows:
Whilst beginning my newly found hobby, I read a lot of information in
regards to tomato diseases. One in particular, from memory, was that a
tiny black hole (that looks like a dot) on the bottom of the tomato,
is a bug (or a fly or.. Something's egg) that is harvesting inside my
fruit, and will result on it rotting as it approaches maturity.

I might have mis-read this, but I found this morning, whilst looking
at one of my tomatoes, that it does have, in fact, a small dot-like
hole.
The tomato is still green and very hard with a few weeks until it
reaches full size and matures.

I haven't really been spraying them with anything and have been lucky
to not have many bugs or flies around.
I sprayed the plants a few weeks ago with an organic oil, but that's
about it ..

Could someone please shed some advise on my situation?
Will my tomatoes rot, or is this just a pock on my fruit..
Old 04-12-2007, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ivan" wrote in message
[...]

Ivan, does it look like this? If so, it's blossom end rot.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a7cac
Karen

Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
Ivan wrote:

Could someone please shed some advise on my situation?
Will my tomatoes rot, or is this just a pock on my fruit..

Pick a tomato with a dot. Section. Examine. That will tell you if
mysterious animals are chewing up your fruits.

Good idea. Much more useful than all of us guessing from our seats.

David

Old 04-12-2007, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 4, 12:36 pm, "KarenCannoli" wrote:
"Ivan" wrote in message

[...]

No, I thought it might be blossom end rot, but it's a very small
dot ..
I will take a photo of it and post it somewhere.

Incidentally, should my plants require more calcium, would I be able
to add some lime to the soil, or is it too late now?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ivan" wrote in message news:a829a588-bf84-4502-ae1d-
No, I thought it might be blossom end rot, but it's a very small
dot ..
I will take a photo of it and post it somewhere.

Incidentally, should my plants require more calcium, would I be able
to add some lime to the soil, or is it too late now?

Uneven watering is the most common cause of blossom end rot. Liming takes
quite a while to have an effect, maybe for next year.

David

[IMG] code is On

Polka dot plant from seeds? Mama Bear Gardening 1 15-07-2006 11:42 PM
Green dot algae stareee Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 07-11-2005 05:21 PM
polka dot plants Bernadette Gardening 4 19-08-2004 09:19 AM
Gardeners Choice dot net - tomato tree - anyone try ? Gardening 0 07-04-2004 07:02 PM