Old 14-12-2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grow Computer input request

Hi All. I'm doing a redesign for a grow computer. I would like any input
concerning functions you would like to see it do. Here's a list of
functions so far:

Sense and control watering based on time or sensors.
Sense and control heaters in case of freezing.
Sense and average light levels to determine fertilizer requirements.
Communication system (power line/radio) for remote control.

Is there some way to determine grow rates that can be incorporated? Any
input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Larry

P.S. There is a controller at:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~snyder/Sprinkler/
That any can copy if they want.

Old 15-12-2007, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Larry Snyder said:

Hi All. I'm doing a redesign for a grow computer.

In September [1], you posted about designing it, were asked some very good
questions about what you were trying to accomplish, yet didn't respond. Was
it a failure, and now it's being redesigned? Perhaps responding to the
questions may have helped.

I would like any input
concerning functions you would like to see it do. Here's a list of
functions so far:

Sense and control watering based on time or sensors.

Will each plant have it's own sensor and controller? They all have
different watering needs, you know.

Sense and control heaters in case of freezing.

So, heaters will only be required "in case of freezing"? What kind of
plants are you growing?

Sense and average light levels to determine fertilizer requirements.

Since when is light the determining factor in fertilizer requirements?

Communication system (power line/radio) for remote control.

I thought it was a computer? Is the computer going to sit outside in your
garden? How will you protect it, the communications equipment, and the
sensors, from the elements? It doesn't sound very cost-effective to me.

Is there some way to determine grow rates that can be incorporated?

Sure. How about: get off your ass and watch the plants with your eyes,
instead of trying to do it with a computer?

Any input will be appreciated.

See above.

Thanks in advance

You're welcome.

[1]. Message-ID:
--

Eggs

Can a storm be officially designated as a tornado without touching down at
a trailer park?
Old 15-12-2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Larry Snyder said:

[...]

Hi Eggs. My original design used a obsolete chip unknown to me at the time.
The new one uses a pic chip. It is my opinion that food production is about
to become critical. Once this design is done, I will make it available to
everyone. My attempt is to design a grow system that is cheap and easily
modified to nearly any crop or environment. The idea is to have a
programmable stand alone system. I was hoping someone could come up with a
way of measuring growth rate electronically. From net literature, infrared
temperature measurement looks possible (along with humidity, ambient temp).
Solar powered would be nice too. I'm hoping to get this built for under
$10. I'll know more later. Thanks for your response
Larry

[IMG] code is On

Grow computer Larry Snyder Gardening 5 14-09-2007 04:37 PM
Seek input on Leyland Cypress Lecher9000 Gardening 15 24-10-2004 10:43 AM
Veggie Filter Input ideas Bill Ponds 5 18-08-2003 05:50 AM
Lawn Striper...need some input Rick and Dana Siekmann Gardening 8 12-05-2003 08:20 PM
Thanks for the input folks. Mike Davis Edible Gardening 1 15-02-2003 03:03 PM