Old 20-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Registered User

Location: North-East coast
Default Plant propagation for industry

Hello to everyone!

I'm pretty new to gardening but have been given the task at work to raise about 2000 plants for next summer in a heated poly tunnel.
The site is a coal fired coastal power station on the North-East coast.
We have a big problem with rabbits so I thought growing something like pelargoniums or/and Begonia from seed.
Do I stand a chance as a newbie!? I have grown my own plants before at home in unheated greenhouses,but I've never took on the task on a scale like this before.I'd be most grateful for any hints tips advice that anyone can give me.
which pelargonium type would give the easist/biggest success rate for plants per seed? how many seeds would I need to raise about 1500-2000 plants?

thanks!
steven.
Old 20-12-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"steven1307" wrote in message

[...]

1) Who assigned you this task?

2) What's the connection between rabbits and the two plants you mentioned?

3) What happens if you aren't successful with this project?

Old 20-12-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
[...]

The publicity director at the power station.

2) What's the connection between rabbits and the two plants you mentioned?

He saw a few run-over rabbits out on the highway.

3) What happens if you aren't successful with this project?

A disaster! The publicity manager won't be able to tell the environmental
protesters that the power plant is "green"

Ted

Old 21-12-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tad Tad is offline

--
steven1307

Are you attempting to do this organically or with chemical inputs?
It's not really very "green" if you're using chemicals to sustain the
plants and promote growth. If you want to do this organically, it is
possible, but you'll need to do a bit of reseach and establish a
program.

~tad
Old 21-12-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Tad wrote:

On Dec 20, 6:49*am, steven1307
wrote:
[...]

Why such small plants? It seems that trees would be more of an off set
against the CO2 that the plant releases or do you have to maintain a
line of sight?

You may want to look at lasagna gardening. If you laid down your
newspapers/cardboard now, where you want the beds to be, add what ever
amendments that you may need like bone meal, covered everything with
mulch, and added seeds for a green fertilizer, your beds should be ready
by May.

Wishing you luck, and hoping you get shut down soon (but not 'till
winter is over).
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

Old 21-12-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Tad wrote:

On Dec 20, 6:49 am, steven1307
wrote:
[...]

You are not responding to the person who asked the original question. Please
try and stay focused.

Old 21-12-2007, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Tad wrote:

On Dec 20, 6:49 am, steven1307
wrote:
[...]

You mean, make an effort? I'll be more focused in a little bit when I've
baptize my tonsils. Looking at this from top to bottom, bottom to top,
and side to side, it appears that steven1307 is the OP. I presumed
(Uh-oh) that he was trying to cutesy the place up. Now I see that this
environmental disaster of his, that is destroying the environment in the
Appalachian Mountains and heating the environment, is encouraging huge
herds of marauding bunnies to ravage the environment on the New England
Coast. (I think this is where I'm supposed to mention something about
lipstick on a pig, vis-a-vis a flower geschmucked coal burner.) Has the
publicity director thought through "Project Bunny Disaster"? They really
don't need much encouragement, bunnies, not publicity directors. He may
want to run it by Australia first.