Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default The Monster Storm

On 1/10/08 9:26 PM, in article
,
"mleblanca" wrote:

Hi All
I'll just respond en masse so to speak
1. Cheryl and Ann and others thanks for your good wishes.
2. I agree that hurricanes/tornados are scarier. I can't imagine
what those winds would be like, 80mph was a horrendous
sound. I haven't experienced either one, but have seen their work
3.Oz happy to hear you survived all those tornados!
4. Ice storms are definitely not fun and really bad news,
5.Billy; glad you survived too. We have been here 25 yrs and
ditto, never seen damage this widespread, and so MANY trees,
down and large branches ripped off. Deodaras are not as big
as redwoods, but can also slice an house in half. Or a full size
Ponderosa/Jeffrey Pine can do it.(Paradise woman's house)
When I am 90 I can say, "why I remember the big one of 07"
6. Dome house: There used to be an old 1970s version here, and
I have seen a newer one, but my memory is not telling me just
where they are. Will have to cruise around and see if I can find them
7. Update: final figu 120,000 in county w/o power. some still do
not
have it. We have had workers from ID, MO, and all over helping out.
and some people can do nothing but whine about how slow they were!
3 ash trees at the school will survive, 3 are firewood.Another inch
of
rain since storm, and Much snow will help to fill reservoirs,
Enough.........
Emilie

There will always be somebody bitching about post storm clean up. Handy
thing I learned after the last storm. IF there is a disabled person,
especially on O2 assist and they are "listed" with the utilities as such,
those homes are targeted as second priority after shelters/hospitals/nursing
homes/police and fire. Works for snow removal too.

We usually get help from Canada - some of the restaurants actually give them
a break on their meals.

Cheryl
Who after the last bad ice storm had a pine tree on her deck, but it missed
the house.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

well... dome are round and there is no flat surface that takes a direct hit, instead
there is a curved surface that takes a glancing blow and the tree slides down. taking
shingles with it I am sure.

those of us who are fascinated with domes, even those actually live in domes see some
obvious advantages in the case of natural disasters. cement domes are impervious to
nearly everything, hurricanes, fire, tornado, termites, earthquakes. dont know if
there is data on withstanding earth slides, but there was one dome in S. Carolina
took a hurricane straight on and the wind shoved the dome off the pilings and moved
it, but didnt destroy it either. that one wasnt even cement.

like an egg, the rounded shape is naturally stronger than a box. There is no "roof"
on a dome, the rounded shape extends all the way to the sides. there are a lot of
examples of domes withstanding fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. online

in earthquake country "code" has specified new buildings must be designed to not fall
apart in earthquakes. in fire country, I dont understand why code is not written to
prevent construction of homes that burn so easily. WOOD SHINGLES?????

in hurricane areas I dont understand why code isnt written to prevent construction of
homes that are ripped up so easily. and in flood areas why they let people build on
flood plains or at least dont demand these houses must be built on piers above flood
level.

Ingrid
Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Here (northern California) we are talking second growth redwoods, 4' -
5' diameter at the their bases and at least 100' tall (lots of kinetic
energy). The two story house below us was dissected as a young (?)
redwood passed through the roof, the second story wall, the second story
floor, the first story wall and stopped at the first floor because the
top of the tree struck the opposing hillside. Even Buckminster Fuller's
design would have been put to the test.

Here in California we must build challet type houses because of the
threat of earthquake.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...490698,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 11, 7:39 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/10/08 9:26 PM, in article
,

"mleblanca" wrote:
[...]

Last night the weather guy said today is the anniversary of last
year's ice storm that had the city of Springfield and all of SW MO
dark for up to two weeks. I had two neighbor families living in my
guest rooms for four days, as I was one of very few that lost power
for only a couple hours. Here'bouts, power is missed primarily for
everyone's wells to operate. Also have LP heat and fireplace.
But beautiful. The whole world was prisms and rainbows.

cheers

oz, who really can do without a repeat this year.