Old 13-01-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Onion planting advice

Last year, I planted onions very early in the spring, and most of them
bolted. I planted onions later in the spring, and had a fairly good crop.
The local extension service says to plant onions as early as January, but
I'm afraid to do it again this year for fear of having them all go to seed
again. Is there any general consensus about when onions should be planted,
and when they should not?

Old 13-01-2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:

Last year, I planted onions very early in the spring, and most of them
bolted. I planted onions later in the spring, and had a fairly good crop.
The local extension service says to plant onions as early as January, but
I'm afraid to do it again this year for fear of having them all go to seed
again. Is there any general consensus about when onions should be planted,
and when they should not?

It depends on the variety planted and on your weather. One way that I
have found to get around the bolting problem is to grow varieties that
mature early. For example, for yellow onions I like "Candy Hybrid" and
for red onions I like "Giant Red Hamburger". I plant them as soon as the
ground is workable. They are ready to harvest in a little over three
months.

Ask your extension service what varieties that they recommend for your
area.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 13-01-2008, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill R" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I always chuckle at the phrase "as soon as the ground
is workable". Unfortunately, that doesn't happen until it quits raining,
which is usually May or June. If I'm lucky, I can till the ground towards
the end of May. Some years, it's mud until June.

Out of desperation, I end up planting some cold weather stuff in the mud.
Surprisingly, this usually works fairly well - radishes, onions, lettuce,
peas. They all happily start growing in March or so, even if everything is
mud.

[IMG] code is On

Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
Planting Onion Sets mary Gardening 0 25-06-2004 03:02 PM
Planting onion seeds now zxcvbob Edible Gardening 5 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
planting onion seeds zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:08 PM