Old 26-01-2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Green tomatoe - how to tell if they are ripe?

I've been looking at some heirloom green tomatoes - tomatoes that are green
when they ripen. Has anyone here grown these? How is the flavor, and how do
you tell if they are ripe?

Old 26-01-2008, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
I've been looking at some heirloom green tomatoes - tomatoes that are green
when they ripen. Has anyone here grown these? How is the flavor, and how do
you tell if they are ripe?

I grow green zebras. The stripes are kind-of golden when they
are ripe. I have no idea how one would tell on a purely green
one.

--
Jean B.
Old 26-01-2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

I've been looking at some heirloom green tomatoes - tomatoes that are green
when they ripen. Has anyone here grown these? How is the flavor, and how do
you tell if they are ripe?

When ripe the stripes become distinct and the tomato loses its' billiard
ball hardness.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Sto...917874,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 26-01-2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
I've been looking at some heirloom green tomatoes - tomatoes that are
green when they ripen. Has anyone here grown these? How is the flavor, and
how do you tell if they are ripe?

Feel it, smell it.

Old 26-01-2008, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
Zootal wrote:
I've been looking at some heirloom green tomatoes - tomatoes that are green when
they ripen. Has anyone here grown these? How is the flavor, and how do you tell if
they are ripe?

I grow green zebras. The stripes are kind-of golden when they are ripe. I have no
idea how one would tell on a purely green one.

I grow them also. They tend to have a slight tang to them. I also
harvest when they get a little gold tinge to them.