Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered User

Default Help with Dragon Tree houseplant please

Hi,

I've have a dragon tree houseplant for about 10 years now but I decided to repot it about two weeks ago.

Since then it appears to have developed some yellow mottling on the upper sides of the leaf (in the middle, mostly, not at the tips) which I'm concerned about. It seems to mostly be affecting the new leaves, too.

I've read that yellowing leaves can be due to the roots rotting after being repotted due to the soil being wetter but the soil is fairly dry.

I've also read that spider mites can cause this but I've not been able to 'see any.'

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
JR
Old 11-02-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"jackregan" wrote in message

Hi,

I've have a dragon tree houseplant for about 10 years now but I decided
to repot it about two weeks ago.

Since then it appears to have developed some yellow mottling on the
upper sides of the leaf (in the middle, mostly, not at the tips) which
I'm concerned about. It seems to mostly be affecting the new leaves,
too.

I've read that yellowing leaves can be due to the roots rotting after
being repotted due to the soil being wetter but the soil is fairly
dry.

I've also read that spider mites can cause this but I've not been able
to 'see any.'

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
JR

Does the new pot have a drainage hole in the bottom? How big's the pot? How
much water did you apply after repotting?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"jackregan" wrote in message

Hi,

I've have a dragon tree houseplant for about 10 years now but I decided
to repot it about two weeks ago.

Since then it appears to have developed some yellow mottling on the
upper sides of the leaf (in the middle, mostly, not at the tips) which
I'm concerned about. It seems to mostly be affecting the new leaves,
too.

I've read that yellowing leaves can be due to the roots rotting after
being repotted due to the soil being wetter but the soil is fairly
dry.

I've also read that spider mites can cause this but I've not been able
to 'see any.'

Can anyone help, please?

You have a Dracaena Marginata . If you think the problem might be spider
mite you can mist it with water and look for webs. These are sooner seen
than the tiny spider critter. There's loads of information about your plant
at this link: http://www.dracaena.com/dracaena-marginata.php

Val

Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. The pot does have a drainage hole and it seems to be clear. It's not been watered any more than usual, either.

The leaves seem to be yellowing at the tips now.

I've not tried misting it as I have nothing to do that with but I'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks again,
JR
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"jackregan" wrote in message

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. The pot does have a drainage hole and it seems
to be clear. It's not been watered any more than usual, either.

The leaves seem to be yellowing at the tips now.

I've not tried misting it as I have nothing to do that with but I'll
look into it tomorrow.

Thanks again,
JR

I wouldn't mist it. If anything, those plants prefer being a little on the
dry side. Take a really close look at the leaves for any infestations, and
report back here.

[IMG] code is On

Dracaena / Dragon Tree problem MattS United Kingdom 1 29-08-2011 05:03 PM
Dragon Tree Seed rapdor Australia 0 01-05-2006 10:45 AM
Help with Dragon Tree problems! mbelcher68 Gardening 2 01-11-2005 12:48 PM
Problems with Dracaena marginata (dragon Tree) mbelcher68 Gardening 0 15-10-2005 05:41 PM
Dragon Tree - root rot symptoms? TanQ10 Gardening 5 13-02-2004 11:12 PM