Old 29-02-2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Anyone Getting Anything Good In?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/29/08 12:27 PM, in article
,
"Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article
,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you
hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got
4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf
mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with
when
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?
I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow
tonight,
I'm
having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped
in
endless winter.

It's winter time Cheryl. It's winter time. Sorry, but it's true.

When can you normally get into the garden? Six to eight weeks is good
lead time for transplants.

I know - and some years I might be able to start clean up now. With 10
more
inches headed my way, it could be May.

When is the ground warm enough for tomatoes? Here in my hilly, coastal,
northern California habitat, it is usually mid-May, and June before the
ground gets to 70F and the vines really start to push.

Ever try those "wall of water" mini habitats?
I did hoping to get a week or two head start. Slugs loved them as a
nice warm place with food nearby.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...945215109.html

Bill

Too expensive for me. On the up side though, "Sluggo" has cleared my
yard of 99.9% of the snails and slugs that I have been fighting, low
these many years. With the snails at bay, I'm doing my soil modification
with clear plastic. But May ain't here yet and who knows what surprises
it may hold.

I've been using "escargo" which is similar to "Sluggo". I've tied for
years to find Iron Phosphate as it is the active ingredient. Seems
escargo is 1% Iron Phosphate 99% inert ingredients. This stuff is
expensive. So my plan was to blend up 99% bread and 1% Iron Phosphate.

I can't find it!! One ounce would do my life time )

Goggle all you want and you find out about coatings for metal.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/29/08 5:10 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/29/08 12:27 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?
I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm
having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in
endless winter.

It's winter time Cheryl. It's winter time. Sorry, but it's true.

When can you normally get into the garden? Six to eight weeks is good
lead time for transplants.

I know - and some years I might be able to start clean up now. With 10 more
inches headed my way, it could be May.

When is the ground warm enough for tomatoes? Here in my hilly, coastal,
northern California habitat, it is usually mid-May, and June before the
ground gets to 70F and the vines really start to push.

Tomatoes - not until late May or early June.

Cheryl
(whose DD is skipping hockey practice this AM as the snow falls)

Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 28, 7:57 pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

--
Zone 6b, SW KY -http://www.hildenbrands.com
Enjoying the new found space, but secretly wanting more.

I usually don't wait for the "last" frost, it jumps around so much I
just kinda
guess. Sometime in Feb and sometimes in April.......
Anyway I have spinach and Walla Walla onions in since Fall They are
looking good.
Peach and apricot are in bloom as all of the almond orchards
surrounding
us.
I put my tomatoes started earlier into 4 inch pots today. They usually
go
out anytime between Mid March and early April depending on weather.
Will plant some lettuce seeds in a week or so. Peppers and Maters go
outside during day and in at night so far.

Flowerwise, the camellias are in full gorgeous bloom. Early Daffodils
are
fading from the 76 degrees on Thurs. Its back to 60s today. Primroses
and Hellebores are in bloom too. Many things are showing buds now.

I planted Euryops (yellow daisy bush) a Tiarella and Hypericum
Tricolor
last week. Ive been cleaning up from the Big Storm and moving things
(always). Been working about 3-4 hours each day, so come on out,
Cheryl and I'll put you to work!!

Emilie
NorCal
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 2, 6:24 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:27:26 -0800, Billy
wrote:

It's winter time Cheryl. It's winter time. Sorry, but it's true.

When can you normally get into the garden? Six to eight weeks is good
lead time for transplants.

Not in my house where we slept with all the windows open last night.
We'll get one more snap, I'm certain, but we didn't have one hard
freeze (below 27) the entire winter, and barely hit 32 but a few
times, maybe. Everything is coming up. Even pineapple sage!

Going out to Baker Creek Wednesday to get a variety of their heirloom
seeds. Got a $50 gift cert to spend. Getting mostly maters and
peppers, and am trying some new radishes, lettuces, and melons (damn
raccoons!). Jere will try to talk me into some exotic root crops, and
I will probably try one or two. Other stuff is mundane, but lots of
landscaping and flower beds this year -- trellises, fences, arbors,
etc.
Seventy six degrees today and up to TWENTY FOUR inches of snow
expected by noon Tuesday -- damn groundhog.

cheers

oz, setting up the seedling "tent" in the library.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 2, 10:28 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:55:43 -0800 (PST), MajorOz

wrote:
Going out to Baker Creek Wednesday to get a variety of their heirloom
seeds. Got a $50 gift cert to spend. Getting mostly maters and
peppers, and am trying some new radishes, lettuces, and melons (damn
raccoons!). Jere will try to talk me into some exotic root crops, and
I will probably try one or two. Other stuff is mundane, but lots of
landscaping and flower beds this year -- trellises, fences, arbors,
etc.
Seventy six degrees today and up to TWENTY FOUR inches of snow
expected by noon Tuesday -- damn groundhog.

You sure you read or heard correctly?http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield&state=MO&...

I agree with your tiredness of this winter, being on the other end of
the state. It sucks here too. Ice played hell with the trees, and
power early Dec. Lookin at a couple of inches of new snow tonite and
the next week of cold again.

Crap.....just went outside for ...relief... and the freekin' ground is
white again. Oh well, guess we must need it, eh?

Just completed my belated order to Rareseeds......gotta love Jere and
all. Marvelous assortment of heirlooms from around the world. Good
prices, good measure, good service.

Care
Charlie

The two feet of snow was what the guys said Sunday. Today they have
pulled back and said ONLY 8-14 inches. It's already sleeting bullets
outside. I just saw a hairy woodpecker at one of the feeders get
zapped by a pellet.
If you ever get a chance, come to Baker Creek (he is trying to
popularize the name "Bakersville" now) on the first Sunday of the
month. There are exhibits, schmoozing, and LOTS of music (may even
hear me). Naturally, in the hotter months, there is more to do, but
it is always worth the effort.

cheers

oz, sipping tea through gritted teeth while staring out the window

Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 3, 9:55 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:42:10 -0800 (PST), MajorOz

wrote:
The two feet of snow was what the guys said Sunday. Today they have
pulled back and said ONLY 8-14 inches. It's already sleeting bullets
outside. I just saw a hairy woodpecker at one of the feeders get
zapped by a pellet.
If you ever get a chance, come to Baker Creek (he is trying to
popularize the name "Bakersville" now) on the first Sunday of the
month. There are exhibits, schmoozing, and LOTS of music (may even
hear me). Naturally, in the hotter months, there is more to do, but
it is always worth the effort.

cheers

oz, sipping tea through gritted teeth while staring out the window

Seems to me that this has been one of the longer winters in my memory.
I know that we are all really tired of this and it looks to be cold all
week. I was dreaming of planting lettuce last weekend, but that is on
hold.

Looks like Jere is developing a nice place.....kinda reminds me a bit
of the old Silver Dollar City. We haven't been there for about twenty
years, though we went often from the mid sixties thru the early
eighties.

Lovely and I were talking this evening about heading to Springfield for
a few days this spring. We have a hankering for some throwed rolls.
Been a few years.

Post it up when you intend to play. You gonna get yerself on the
youtube with the other players? ;-)

Keep the ear flaps down,
Charlie

Springfield got all the snow. MO/AR border got really smacked. I got
nuttin' but a bit of sleet and corn snow -- all melted already. Kinda
disappointed, as I had the CC skis out and everything.
Anyhow, off to BC tomorrow (after the dentist). Gonna try the "three
sisters" this year: corn, beans, and squash all out of one hole.
Any first Sunday is a good one for music.

cheers and maybe see ya there

oz