Old 15-03-2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Amaryllis roots showing on top

J. Davidson wrote:
One of my healthy amaryllis bulbs is showing roots at the top of the pot.
What does this mean? Does it need a larger pot?
Jackie

Yes, you need a larger pot. I put my Amaryllises outside (in the
ground) after the weather warms up. I bring the bulbs in about the end
of October. They tend to have more blooms the next blooming time when
allowed to grow outside during the summer.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 15-03-2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Old 15-03-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Your plants are absolutely beautiful, Bill.
Jackie

Bill's plants:

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 16-03-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/15/2008 12:20 PM, J. Davidson wrote:
One of my healthy amaryllis bulbs is showing roots at the top of the pot.
What does this mean? Does it need a larger pot?
Jackie

First, determine whether your bulb is an "amaryllis" (Hippeastrum) or a
"naked lady" (Amaryllis belladonna). See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html for a discussion
of the differences between these.

Hippeastrum:

Some advocate leaving the bulb in the pot until it grows so large that
it breaks the pot apart. The bulb seems to flower better if pot-bound.

Others (including me), repot the bulb before it gets that large. While
repotting, I separate offsets (younger bulbs) from the parent and pot
them separately. This can be done at any time. However, I would avoid
repotting while the plant is in bloom or while a flower stalk is just
beginning to emerge from the bulb. Repotting at this time will not
affect the bulb itself but might damage the flowers or flower stalk.

Occasionally, I will plant the offsets in the ground. In my climate,
they do quite well outdoors all year long whether in pots or in the
ground. I only bring mine indoors to show them when they are in bloom.

A. belladonna:

Be very careful when you repot. Unlike Hippeastrum, A. belladonna
reacts very negatively to having its roots disturbed at the wrong time
of the year; it may refuse to bloom again for several years. The best
time to repot is at the beginning of dormancy, just as the leaves die
and well before the next bloom period.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 16-03-2008, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

J. Davidson wrote:

Your plants are absolutely beautiful, Bill.
Jackie

Bill's plants:

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Thank you Jackie. I try to plant at least a few new things every year.
I also like to plant LOTS of tomatoes. This year I plan to have at
least 15 varieties (likely over 6 dozen plants, mainly the "salad" type
smaller varieties).

Old 16-03-2008, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes: was Amaryllis roots showing on top

Bill R wrote in
:

Thank you Jackie. I try to plant at least a few new things
every year.
I also like to plant LOTS of tomatoes. This year I plan
to have at
least 15 varieties (likely over 6 dozen plants, mainly the
"salad" type smaller varieties).

what varieties are you planting & how many of each?
i planted 47 varieties/4 of each last year. i'll be planting
repeats of a few of those & several new (to me) varieties this
year. fortunately (or unfortunately, if you look at it from my
SOs view) i have *2* veggie gardens this year, the main garden
in NH & a nice big garden in NY...

and on an unrelated note, i've been told that i can now get a
permit to grow ribes here in NH. i'm so excited, because
that's a market no one else has around here... blueberries,
strawberries, raspberries, blackberries.... yeah, but *i* will
have currents & gooseberries!

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 16-03-2008, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
Bill R wrote in
:

Thank you Jackie. I try to plant at least a few new things
every year.
I also like to plant LOTS of tomatoes. This year I plan
to have at
least 15 varieties (likely over 6 dozen plants, mainly the
"salad" type smaller varieties).

what varieties are you planting & how many of each?
i planted 47 varieties/4 of each last year. i'll be planting
repeats of a few of those & several new (to me) varieties this
year. fortunately (or unfortunately, if you look at it from my
SOs view) i have *2* veggie gardens this year, the main garden
in NH & a nice big garden in NY...

lee

Lee,

I am still "planning" and haven't purchased (or started) all my seeds
yet. A few that I know, for sure, that I'll have this year are Red
Pear, Yellow Pear, Gold Nugget, Jelly Bean Red, Jelly Bean Yellow,
Juliet, Black Cherry and Green Grape. Those 8 (small) varieties are
"neighbor requested" (all my "extra" tomatoes go to the neighbors). The
"standard" varieties that I know I'll have this year are Early Girl,
Supersonic, Lemon Boy, and Yellow Ping Pong (new for me this year).
There are still a few new varieties that I am considering trying.

I start some of my plants in 6 packs, and others in 8 packs. I
generally keep four of each plant and give the extra plants to my
neighbors who have kids so that the kids can grow their own "little
tomatoes". I don't start them too early but generally have them all
started by the end of March.

I get my seeds from Totally Tomatoes (http://www.totallytomato.com) and
Tomato Growers Supply Company (http://www.tomatogrowers.com) and all the
varieties I mentioned (and LOTS of others) can be found at their sites.

Old 16-03-2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill R wrote in
:

enigma wrote:
Bill R wrote in
:

[...]

i didn't like the Black Cherry, but i always grow the red &
yellow pears, and the jelly beans. i really like the current
tomatoes. they come in red, yellow & white. the seed for the
white are hard to find though.
i like Garden Peach, but it's not a great producer here. i
need to try out more sauce types, as we are cutting way back
on prepared sauces & there's no commercial catsup without
HFCS.

I start some of my plants in 6 packs, and others in 8
packs. I generally keep four of each plant and give the
extra plants to my neighbors who have kids so that the kids
can grow their own "little tomatoes". I don't start them
too early but generally have them all started by the end of
March.

I get my seeds from Totally Tomatoes
(http://www.totallytomato.com) and Tomato Growers Supply
Company (http://www.tomatogrowers.com) and all the
varieties I mentioned (and LOTS of others) can be found at
their sites.

yes, i get tomatoes from there also, plus Amishland Seeds.

lee