Old 16-03-2008, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default need help finding shrub

Hello,

My backyard is partially facing the street and partially facing the
neighbor who has their deck out almost to the property line. Because
our lots are small, whenever I go to my backyard I would be in their
face and vice versa, no privacy at all! I'm looking for evergreen
shrubs that will grow to 8 feet to act as a hedge so I don't have to
see my neighbor or the street. I would prefer something that will
reach matured height in 3 years because I can't afford buying big
shrubs or building a fence. I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.
Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm in zone 6.

Thank you.
Old 16-03-2008, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 15, 9:42�pm, wrote:
Hello,

My backyard is partially facing the street and partially facing the
neighbor who has their deck out almost to the property line. �Because
our lots are small, whenever I go to my backyard I would be in their
face and vice versa, no privacy at all! �I'm looking for evergreen
shrubs that will grow to 8 feet to act as a hedge so I don't have to
see my neighbor or the street. �I would prefer something that will
reach matured height in 3 years because I can't afford buying big
shrubs or building a fence. �I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.
Your help is greatly appreciated. �I'm in zone 6.

How much space do you have for plantings, and what's the sunlight
like... there's not much in the way of evergreens that will grow
rapidly in a narrow space, and none will grow as quickly as you want.
Since you live in a cold clime you or your neighbors likely won't be
outdoors much during winter anyway, so you might be better off growing
grapevines, they grow fast, are inexpensive, and give wonderful
privacy... as a bonus you get to eat the grapes, and the leaves,
stuffed grape leaves are yummy. Two grape vines will easily give
absolute total privacy along 30 feet, and 8 foot high is nothing to
achieve for grapes, and this in 2-3 years... you'll actually have very
good privacy the first year, once they bud out in early spring you'll
have a full wall of green within three weeks. The growing takes care
of itself, you'll have to learn how to prune grapes lest you have a
lot more green wall than you want.... not very difficult.

Makes a very attractive privacy screen:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2dgs6mr.jpg

Old 16-03-2008, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:42?pm, wrote:
[...]

Privacy from April to November.

--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 16-03-2008, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

You might try an Italian Cyprus tree. They're tall and narrow, and
grow pretty fast. I'm not sure if it is too cold for you there.
Old 16-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hello,

My backyard is partially facing the street and partially facing the
neighbor who has their deck out almost to the property line. Because
our lots are small, whenever I go to my backyard I would be in their
face and vice versa, no privacy at all! I'm looking for evergreen
shrubs that will grow to 8 feet to act as a hedge so I don't have to
see my neighbor or the street. I would prefer something that will
reach matured height in 3 years because I can't afford buying big
shrubs or building a fence. I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.
Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm in zone 6.

Thank you.

How about a Bamboo?

Tall, straight, fast growing, evergreen and doesn't need much space.

They are also very popular right now and give the place a very modern look.

Old 16-03-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 16, 1:09�am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

�Sheldon wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:42?pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm well aware as are most folks who actually garden, that's why I
wrote the above highlighted statement. In zone 6 very few lounge
outdoors Oct thru Mar.... how come you didn't know that... now you do.

Old 16-03-2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 16, 9:00�am, Fluffball
wrote:
;779038 Wrote:

[...]

Yesh, reminescent of the Hanoi Hilton.

Bamboo is extrordinarilly difficult to contain, especially any variety
suitable for privacy screening... when it sends up shoots across the
property line your neighbor will sue you for mega bucks and win.

Old 16-03-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Mar 16, 1:09?am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:42?pm, wrote:
[...]

Who you talking to Shelly?

Old 16-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon[_1_] View Post
On Mar 16, 9:00�am, Fluffball
wrote:
;779038 Wrote:

[...]

Well, it seems that some people must like the Hanoi Hilton look, including my neighbour who has used bamboo to successfully screen off part of his garden. I don't find it invasive, just so long as I trim it back on my side of the fence from time to time and I do any of the other plants in my neighbours gardens.

Another thought might be a fast climber on a frame, such as a Clematis, which have beautiful flowers.

Old 16-03-2008, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Mar 16, 4:06?pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
On Mar 16, 1:09?am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:42?pm, wrote:
[...]

Had you not deleted the attribution you'd know, Widdle Willy.

Well, before they put the plastic bib on you Shelly, if you WERE talking
to me, I simply stated a verité, "Privacy from April to November".
Sheltered innocent that you are, you'd be amazed what imaginative people
can find to do on a deck in November, even in zone 6, especially, if
there is a HOT TUB, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more.
Well, I think your about do for a clean nappy. Can widdle Shelly say
bye, bye? Hmmmm? Can he, hmmm?

I just love kids but you have to have the right sauce for them.

Old 17-03-2008, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Fluffball wrote:

'Sheldon[_1_ Wrote:
;779144']On Mar 16, 9:00�am, Fluffball

wrote:-
;779038 Wrote:
-
Hello,-
-
[...]

Not to worry, Shelly is a pariah even in the underworld. Enjoy your most
versatile 'boo.

Old 17-03-2008, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 15, 9:42*pm, wrote:
Hello,

My backyard is partially facing the street and partially facing the
neighbor who has their deck out almost to the property line. *Because
our lots are small, whenever I go to my backyard I would be in their
face and vice versa, no privacy at all! *I'm looking for evergreen
shrubs that will grow to 8 feet to act as a hedge so I don't have to
see my neighbor or the street. *I would prefer something that will
reach matured height in 3 years because I can't afford buying big
shrubs or building a fence. *I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.
Your help is greatly appreciated. *I'm in zone 6.

Thank you.

Wavy leaf Ligustrum (Lig. Recurv) is evergreen, 8' x 6' and very
dense. It grows pretty fast and is virtually maintenance free. Plant
on 5 to 6 foot centers. A 3 gallon pot usually runs about $10.00 and
is at 2 1/2 foot. A 7 gallon runs about $34.00 and is about 4' and is
only about 1 to 1 1/2 yrs ahead of a 3 gallon.