Old 22-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Default Have I abused my Forsythia

Hi, it's the eedjut from Kerry, Ireland again. Was just looking out my study window at my forsythia hedge which is in its 3rd year. Nope I didnt prune it either not knowing when and how, and its now blossoming, but only on half of the growth (the shorter centre stems) whilst the outside bark is bare but does have signs of leaf growth.

Please can someone patient use very small words to tell me what I might do to make my forsythia feel a bit more loved, specifically what if anything I can do in March/April. I suppose this too should have been pruned in Jan as well?

Thanks for the help
Old 23-03-2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Have I destroyed my Lavatera

If they are woody plants that scratch your car here is some pruning
informion I wrote for you.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Also you may find this stuff in your library in Ireland.

www.shigoandtrees.com

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"eggplant" wrote in message

Hi to all from Co Kerry in Ireland. I have two large Lavateras that are
looking a bit sickly after I hacked away a portion that was scratching
against our cars as we drove up the drive. I'm a novice gardener and
am still learning about what gets pruned and when. This partial
amputation was done in October last year and there are no signs of
recovery. Now I have learned I should have pruned it down to the
ground in January!

Here's my question. Am I too late to prune it in mid-March and, if yes,
how far should I go, and if no, what can I do to resuscitate the poor
thing. OK so that was actually 3 questions. Desperation!

Thanks for any advice

--
eggplant

Old 23-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered User

Talking

[quote=symplastless;780156]If they are woody plants that scratch your car here is some pruning
informion I wrote for you.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Also you may find this stuff in your library in Ireland.

www.shigoandtrees.com

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com

John

Thank you for your advice. I did review the website and, as is a problem with really new Newbie's. it raised more questions for me than it answered. I have no doubt that it is a great source of reference to more experienced gardeners than me but at this stage of my gardening development, coupled with the fact that I work 12 hours a day and only have the briefest time in my garden, I need quick advice written for an idiot (which I currently am for the moment). I am most grateful for your reply. Happy gardening,

[IMG] code is On

Forsythia Forsythia.jpg [2/2] davenport Garden Photos 2 26-03-2007 04:48 PM
Reviving an abused rose Ali Roses 2 14-05-2004 08:03 PM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational Pam Gardening 3 29-04-2003 05:44 PM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational activities???? animaux Gardening 6 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational activities???? John Robertson Gardening 6 25-04-2003 04:08 AM