Old 22-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Registered User

Default Composting w/ Limestone?

Hi totally new to composting - we are down in the tropics of south america (actually got a write up in the Guardian: http://tinyurl.com/348e99) where they seem to do a very poor compost pile with limestone?

The food we grow tastes great - but I think I can help make the garden even better with a good compost made up of all the organic veggie scraps we generate here at the hotel.

Their pile seems a bit shallow and spread out for the heat we have here - this I can fix.

They also put limestone in with the waste?

My question is if limestone is some sort of activator that they know about and I don't? (something like alfalfa?) Or is it just doing nothing and we should use some other activator -- in the leaf/scraps/activator mix.

A follow-up would be - what activator to use if limestone is not available -- something that would be readily available in such an area.

Thank you

S_
Old 23-03-2008, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
septemous wrote:

[...]

Limestone will raise the pH. I don't know what is going on here but a
low pH will inhibit bacteria and encourage fungi, to a point. Do your
own experiments but until you are sure of something don't succomb to the
whiteman's burden and tell the locals how to get it right. Remember,
your not in Kansas anymore and they may know what they are doing. Enjoy
the food.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 23-03-2008, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:57:50 +0000, septemous
wrote:

[...]

Limestone has the tendency to raise the pH. I guess if your raw
material is acidic, adding limestone dust makes sense. Compost is
usually neutral. No special "activator" is really needed to make
compost--bacteria is plentiful. I found that piles resting on the
bare ground allows insects, bacteria, and worms to quickly enter the
compost pile. I have never added lime or "whiting" to a compost pile,
and our soils are naturally acidic.
Old 23-03-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

[...]

Living in the hill country of Central Texas, am very familiar with
limestone. That's the basis of the ground we live on out here. May be on
the surface, varying topsoil on hillsides at an inch to a foot or more
topsoil on bottom land. Very few plants can survive on it directly, the
local trees plow through it to get to water. A similar calcium compound,
caliche, is also abundant. Both caliche and limestone are alkali in nature
regarding PH.

The only reason I can see to use powdered limestone is the plants in the
ground like a less acid soil than what is common in your region.

--
Dave

Old 23-03-2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

septemous wrote:
Hi totally new to composting - we are down in the tropics of south
america (actually got a write up in the Guardian:
http://tinyurl.com/348e99) where they seem to do a very poor compost
pile with limestone?

The food we grow tastes great - but I think I can help make the
garden
even better with a good compost made up of all the organic veggie
scraps we generate here at the hotel.

Their pile seems a bit shallow and spread out for the heat we have
here - this I can fix.

They also put limestone in with the waste?

My question is if limestone is some sort of activator that they know
about and I don't? (something like alfalfa?) Or is it just doing
nothing and we should use some other activator -- in the
leaf/scraps/activator mix.

My guess is they are using the limestone to kill fly larva or some
other insect/bug. I'd never put limestone in my compost pile because
it will also kill those little "buggers" that are doing the
composting. ;-(

Tom J

Old 23-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered User

Thank you all--

will experiment with different things -- I think the main thing is that they are doing a wide flat pile instead of a tall enclosed one. This leaves everything really dry and the resulting soil looks super blanched and non-nutritious.

appreciate it all - and if we can stay and play longer I'll be asking more questions!

with sunshine
s_
Old 23-03-2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:16:25 +0000, septemous
wrote:

Thank you all--

will experiment with different things -- I think the main thing is that
they are doing a wide flat pile instead of a tall enclosed one. This
leaves everything really dry and the resulting soil looks super
blanched and non-nutritious.

appreciate it all - and if we can stay and play longer I'll be asking
more questions!

with sunshine
s_

One thing I read and tried about composting--a 1 cubic yard of
material mounded works best. If the pile is spread out, it may dry
out and halt bacteria action. If you peel back the top of an active
compost pile, steam and heat will rise out of it. Guideline: No
smell means too dry; sour or rotten smell means too wet; earthy smell
is just right! I now have 3 rabbit-wire compost rings--simple, low
cost, low profile, easy to build, easy to move. My chicken-wire rings
lasted about 8 years before they finally fell apart. There are many
benefits to composting.
Old 24-03-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 22, 6:57 pm, septemous
wrote:
[...]

Dolomite lime will stabilize pH if the pile starts to turn
acidic. It will also add calcium and magnesium.