Old 24-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Oliver B. Lafferty

Default Cub Cadet at Lowes

I wondered if that Simplicity garden tractor was really 36 years old
so I went to the ultimate authority; My wife. She calculated
instantly that since my youngest son is now 43, the tractor is 44
years old. Only in the mind of a woman can the age of a tractor be
calculated by the birth of the buyers grandson.
So 44 years later, both tractor and grandson are doing well thank you,
but the tractor has required less maintenance and upkeep, and fewer
repairs.

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:39:21 GMT, (Oliver B.
Lafferty) wrote:
On 23 Apr 2003 18:18:33 GMT,
wrote:
Hm. Every time I've seen something in CR that I own, I've disagreed
strongly with their opinions. Almost to the point where I treat it's
advice as a "Don't do this" kind of a thing.
Bought a Craftsman V-Twin hydrostat and love it.
Careful about Cub Cadet. Consumer Reports likes the line but cautions
on its repair history. It's top 10 worst.

And here seems to be an example. I've never owned a piece of Craftsman
equipment (tools, engine-driven, or electrical) that I haven't regretted
buying. I avoid it now, and have been much happier with my purchases.
Then again, I did step up from a Craftsman riding mower to a 30-year
old John Deer garden tractor, so it's not really the same class of
machine.

I've read the Re Cub Cadet replies and found some useful information
like the high and low end stuff at Lowes and Home Depot as compared to
the dealers stuff. (important to know)
I don't have those problems. I inherited my Dad's Simplicity riding
tractor with all the accessories. It's about 36 years old I think,
the engine is no longer made although some parts are still available
and the last time I tried to get new blades for the mower, Simplicity
had to switch the dealer to the oldest employee at their factory to
find out which were the right ones.
Everything is made of real HEAVY metal and not bendable tin. It is
used every year to mow about two acres although I no longer pull the
plow or use the chipper or snow blower, and from the looks of it, I
think it's going to outlive me, but I do have a grandson to leave it
to.
My trouble is, I'm old enough to think everything should be built to
last instead of the kind of junk now being sold to a much younger
generation that has never known what quality means.
BTW, I avoid Sears like the plague.

Old 24-04-2003, 07:44 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Oliver B. Lafferty) wrote:

My trouble is, I'm old enough to think everything should be built to
last instead of the kind of junk now being sold to a much younger
generation that has never known what quality means.
BTW, I avoid Sears like the plague.

Even for less complex tools, I have been repeatedly alarmed by poor
quality even on those that are alleging to be high-end. A brand new
pick-axe was so poorly tempered it bent after a week of use so was
replaced by a rusty vintage pick-axe with authentic hickory handle still
intact, & the idea of me being able to cause that tip to bend is beyond
imagining. A "made to last a lifetime" stainless steel trowel that LOOKED
like old-fashioned quality (for having real wooden handles) bends within a
day of use, & I was just lucky I hadn't bought the whole pretty matching
set of expensive junk tools. The "best" pruning sheers that if carried
around in the pocket, the spring gets knocked out of them & lost.
Wheelbarrows designed with wheel-guards that dig into the ground at the
slightest angles so the barrow hangs up, or has to be backed over even a
four-inch brick curb since it can't go forward. Poor design, poor
materials with as much plastic as can replace wood or metal, forcing me to
haunt antique & junk shops in search of the real stuff which even if all
rusty do the job so much better. And such UGLY tools with garish yellow or
orange handles. Over time I've replaced almost all the tools with beutiful
ones, traditional Japanese tools & vintage American & European made tools,
even a Mennanite wheelbarrow. By now I have only one "modern" tool left
that I can't do without, a little pointy angle-iron orange-handled thingy
for popping dandylions out of the ground, & someday I'm bound to find a
more aesthetic version of that. Garden tools not only should be made
better, but they also shouldn't be eyesoars.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 25-04-2003, 10:56 PM
bryan lafleur

the idea of me being able to cause that tip to bend is beyond
imagining. A "made to last a lifetime" stainless steel trowel that LOOKED
like old-fashioned quality (for having real wooden handles) bends within a
day of use, & I was just lucky I hadn't bought the whole pretty matching
set of expensive junk tools. The "best" pruning sheers that if carried
around in the pocket, the spring gets knocked out of them & lost.

Ah, someone who abuses tools like I do. Though I have always tried to
spend extra on tools I thought would last, I have regretfully come to
think of most tools as disposable.

Bryan
Old 26-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Maren Purves

I'm reading this in misc.rural ...

if the handles weren't yellow or orange you'd find them again in the
underbrush?

paghat wrote:
And such UGLY tools with garish yellow or
orange handles. Over time I've replaced almost all the tools with beutiful
ones, traditional Japanese tools & vintage American & European made tools,

I thought the bright yellow was a really good idea.
I wish they'd make them dayglow.

Maren
(in the corrosions capital of the planet, where it rains 125"/year, and
the rain contains both sea salt and sulphuric acid from an active volcano)

Old 27-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Tim Thompson

BRN wrote:

Hi all,

I have been looking into buying a lawn or garden tractor. I have looked at
most of the major brands (J.D., Simplicity, Toro) as well as some of the off
brands or cheap brands (Sears, Murray, etc). Lowes (no H.D in our area) now
sells Cub Cadet lawn and garden tractors. My understanding is that at least
in the past, this used to be a good, solid brand with decent reliability. I
know that the brand is now manufactured by MTD, but was wondering what the
longevity and reliability of these lawn tractors is now? They seem to be a
price point lower than the premium brands, but a bit more expensive than the
cheapest brands.

Additionally, has anyone bought such a large purchase from Lowes? The say
they "service what they sell". Anyone have experience with Lowes repair
service? Do they just farm out the service to local repair shops?

Thank in advance.

Bart

Most of the mowers are now made by MTD. I bought the cheapo 18HP from them 3
years ago, and it has been wonderful. No problems except a new battery this
spring(I think the cold got it this past winter).
They farm out the service, I'm told.