Old 28-03-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is there a list for the best US cities for gardening?

I'm starting out a new career and can pretty much move anywhere in the
US. I looked online but couldn't find a list of the best cities for
gardening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Old 28-03-2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
craig4326 wrote:

I'm starting out a new career and can pretty much move anywhere in the
US. I looked online but couldn't find a list of the best cities for
gardening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

I think Franklinville N.J. is wonderful but I lived here 50 years.

Bill

http://www.google.com/search?client=....+City+quality
+of+life&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 28-03-2008, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Actuality the OP said best place to garden. I guess I have problems
with that idea as gardening to me was bringing out the best with what
you have. The potential to improve poor land and the satisfying reward
of trying to and reaping what we sow. This is a lot of work.
Having someone do your garden is akin to wearing gloves in life.
Getting dirty and playing in a larger sand box I think is the way to go.

Besides if you play hard enough you won't need a gym account unless it
is a social contact that is desired.

Bill

The Garden of Love

William Blake

I laid me down upon a bank,
Where Love lay sleeping;
I heard among the rushes dank
Weeping, weeping.
Then I went to the heath and the wild,
To the thistles and thorns of the waste;
And they told me how they were beguiled,
Driven out, and compelled to the chaste.
I went to the Garden of Love,
And saw what I never had seen;
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.
And the gates of this Chapel were shut
And "Thou shalt not," writ over the door;
So I turned to the Garden of Love
That so many sweet flowers bore.
And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tombstones where flowers should be;
And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars my joys and desires.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 28-03-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
craig4326 wrote:

I'm starting out a new career and can pretty much move anywhere in the
US. I looked online but couldn't find a list of the best cities for
gardening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Took a look about and found this.

Bill

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...enc_author=RTh
2DhUAAABCtwgwW6v-4mfrl_Lduoa99h3i3SmjGmAJbX05nZ-8fQ

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 29-03-2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Dark Energy
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:36:51 -0700 (PDT), craig4326
wrote:

I'm starting out a new career and can pretty much move anywhere in the
US. I looked online but couldn't find a list of the best cities for
gardening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

"Gardening" is such a vast area that you need to make some choices.

Do you want to garden all year? So. Calif and other mild climate
cities. Or would you be content with a limited growing season.
How limited?

Do you want to grow certain fruits that need winter chill -- e.g.
old-style blueberries, pears, apples, etc. Check out cities that
will give you winter chill.

Do you want to grow fruit trees? Shade trees? Need to check
municipal codes, as well as soil quality.

All these, and many other garden variables, have to be considered lest
you move to City "X" and find you can't do what you want.

Other non-garden variables: Air -- clean or polluted.

Soil - clean or polluted (by former heavy industry, e.g.).

Sunshine vs Rain.

Water supply.

Municipal government (crooked or responsive to citizens).

Schools (if school-age children)

Transportation - is there public trans. or would you be car
dependent, and if the latter, how is traffic?

These, and no doubt many others, are factors equally important
with gardening possibilities.

To gain some of the above, one might have to give up or compromise on
others. But isn't life all compromise!

Happy hunting!

Dark Energy

Personally, I'd go for Paris and window boxes;-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Old 29-03-2008, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Now I realize that I need to specify
the plant materials and that will narrow my search. I am most
interested in fruit trees like peaches, cherries, and kiwis. I also
want to plant gingko trees. Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 29-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_4_] View Post

wrote:

[...]

The San Francisco bay area all seemed quite good when I lived there. The city itself offered oppotunites for growing plants that enjoy cool wet climates, but avoided frosts in the winter. I would avoid the areas by the sea.

Moving further down the bay area towards San Jose, I was able to grow Peaches, Oranges, Bourginvillia, Oleander and plants requiring a warner dryer climate. I could also grow most other things too if I threw enough water at them and even got a decent crop of Blackberries.
Old 31-03-2008, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I'm starting out a new career and can pretty much move anywhere in the
US. I looked online but couldn't find a list of the best cities for
gardening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Depends on what you want to grow and how cold or hot you want to be.
In California some excellent growing climates have water problems - lack
of and quality.
The Pacific Northwest is hard to beat, I like the Pacific Coast, never
gets too hot or cold. Others like a cold winter or hot summer.
The Appalachians,, the Gulf Coast, The Desert Southwest
I've seen great gardens almost everywhere I've travelled.
Pick a place you like, you can learn to garden anywhere.
If you plan to garden professionally, look for a long growing season or
have some saleable winter skills
--

09=ix

[IMG] code is On

Best cities to live in Dick Adams[_2_] Gardening 1 24-02-2011 10:04 PM
FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 05:37 PM
Newbie in Twin Cities TWolf Bonsai 0 24-09-2003 02:10 AM
Pond Supplies in Minnesota (White Bear or Twin Cities) ? Folklore Ponds 2 15-04-2003 03:32 PM
Gloomy Cities Iris Cohen Gardening 3 04-03-2003 02:03 AM